Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 2WD RAV4.

I have 3 lights that are on: ABS, VSC and brake lights. Sometimes the lights go off, then they come back on, and it seems like there is no ABS and I can't put the car in cruise control. Then they would be off again for some time. I have seen them come on while driving on a straight stretch, without pressing the brake.

I did the pin 4&13 connector trick to show what error codes the system will tell me. First I reset the system by depressing the brake pedal so it doesn't show me old stuff. Then I drove around until the lights came on again (didn't have to drive very far). I got the following:

ABS: 34
VSC: 43
P/S: 41

Any idea what this combination of codes could mean? I looked at the chart for codes, and #34 for ABS is left rear wheel speed sensor, #43 for VSC looks like:
C1223/43 ABS Control System Malfunction - Skid control ECU

But could this be triggered by a bad sensor on the left rear wheel?

What does the flashing P/S light mean? Or is that something unrelated, maybe from another time?

Why don't the lights just stay on all the time if there is an issue?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Yes, it sounds like you have a problem with the left rear wheel speed sensor. The lights don't stay on because the problem is intermittent. The other codes will go away when the 34 code goes away. You might need a new wheel sensor, or just an adjustment if you're lucky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks! I will take it to a garage to see check it out.

I was thinking maybe there is an open wire somewhere in the ABS system causing the problem, but I guess with a single ABS code it is what it says it is.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
Just saw that yours is FWD not 4WD as in my link. I vaguely remember another member saying the ABS sensor replacement was more complicated and expensive on his FWD RAV4.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the link to the part, this mechanic I know lets me take my own parts, so at least I know what the real price should be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts