Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R4P XSE Premium
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pages 105 to 106 of the R4P manual describe the status of the indicators on the Charging Circuit Interrupting Device (CCID) portion of the 120 VAC charging cable when a malfunction occurs. The last two malfunctions listed on Page 106 speak of the AC Charging Cable nearing or exceeding “its useable number of charges”, as shown below:
1623344082091.jpeg

Does this mean the CCID has an internal counter that some day will let you know that some not disclosed maximum number of charges is nearing or has been exceeded? Does anyone know anything about the charging cable being limited to some specific useable number of charges?

·
Registered
White Rav4 SE Prime
12 Posts
Pages 105 to 106 of the R4P manual describe the status of the indicators on the Charging Circuit Interrupting Device (CCID) portion of the 120 VAC charging cable when a malfunction occurs. The last two malfunctions listed on Page 106 speak of the AC Charging Cable nearing or exceeding “its useable number of charges”, as shown below:
View attachment 168036

Does this mean the CCID has an internal counter that some day will let you know that some not disclosed maximum number of charges is nearing or has been exceeded? Does anyone know anything about the charging cable being limited to some specific useable number of charges?
A related question is does a full charge or a partial get counted and differently towards the maximum number of charges.

·
Registered
White Rav4 SE Prime
12 Posts
A related question is does a full charge or a partial charge get counted any differently towards the maximum number of charges.

·
Registered
797 Posts
"Usable number of charges"?!? If the control board dies, it won't deliver power. Does your light switch (including motion sensor switches) have this "feature"?
This sounds like a genius revenue enhancement scam because Toyota hates EVs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found a reference to a Toyota manual from the Prius Prime forum that claims it is 30,000 charges with a warning starting at 29,900 charges... I believe that is the same model that the RAV4 Prime ships with. If that's the case, it seems unlikely you'd ever hit that in your lifetime, let alone that of the vehicle!

·
Registered
2021 R4P XSE Premium
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a reference to a Toyota manual from the Prius Prime forum that claims it is 30,000 charges with a warning starting at 29,900 charges... I believe that is the same model that the RAV4 Prime ships with. If that's the case, it seems unlikely you'd ever hit that in your lifetime, let alone that of the vehicle!

That is a great find, thanks! At least we now know the limit is 30,000, which is so large as to be of no concern. I still wonder why there was a need for any limit, but I will not worry about it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I suspect the J1772 connector has some designed lifetime maximum of insertions and that is what this is meant to warn about. Seems like when you're using this domestically, even for multiple vehicles, it's not realistic that anyone would ever hit that limit, but Toyota seems overly cautious about certain things at times. It's surprising to me that the cable has enough intelligence that there's even some sort of storage element that is keeping count of this! However, it's also puzzling that they don't tell you what that number is outside of some obscure technical training document.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The cable has to arbitrate the charging rate with the car, among other functions, so there is certainly some sort of digital processor in there. Adding a simple counter for how many times charging was initiated would be a simple coding task.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was more surprised by the inclusion of a non-volatile storage device, but I guess EEPROMs are cheap these days 😄

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd bet there is flash built into the processor itself. Pins and packaging are the most expensive parts of chips these days and 'silicon is free'. So most ICs have multiple functions built into them to reduce size, pin-count, interconnections, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts