Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I made my own custom lower grill screen, used these components, will be adding the upper grill screen behind the grill, if it gets packed with bugs and debris, I think it can be vacuumed easily, if not it won't be hard to remove for cleaning, it won't be difficult to check it regularly.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOT-12x6mm-Aluminum-Grille-Rhombic/dp/B07LC6LN2F/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

ohh I love this, it blends much better thanks to going all the way across, it looks like a natural part of the car's design.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I made my own custom lower grill screen, used these components, will be adding the upper grill screen behind the grill, if it gets packed with bugs and debris, I think it can be vacuumed easily, if not it won't be hard to remove for cleaning, it won't be difficult to check it regularly.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOT-12x6mm-Aluminum-Grille-Rhombic/dp/B07LC6LN2F/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
How much feet did you end up buying of the trim? And was it just personal preference on what size mesh screen you bought? The smallest seems to be 8x4 mm.

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
How much feet did you end up buying of the trim? And was it just personal preference on what size mesh screen you bought? The smallest seems to be 8x4 mm.
7' is enough with a little extra, the grill opening is ~38" wide and about 2¾" high, the 1/16" trim fits snug on the AUTOT grill mesh. I ordered a bit extra just in case. 12mm x 6mm provides openings of slightly less than ¼" at the largest part of each diamond, 6mm = .236", ¼" = .250".

·
Registered
11 Posts
The website is posted in #35 above. You can fill out a contact form there or simply send an email to me at: [email protected]
I ordered a Rav4Screen from Steve on Saturday, July27, and he had it in the mail that day!! It is coming USPS with tracking available and delivery is to be August 1. The process is very efficient and communication with Steve is excellent.
I did something similar with my 2006 Honda Element that I bought new and still have. I used plastic mesh and zip ties. It is still in place and has prevented any damage to the condenser for 13 years. So I expect the Rav4Screen to last the life of the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to help, jawg! I'm glad you like the way we work here. Your RAV4Screen should last a good long time. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns when it arrives.
Steve

·
Registered
62 Posts

I better protect mine sooner than later. I just noticed that there is a bean size dimple made by a rock or something. I didn't see anything leaking around it, so I'm assuming that it is not serious.

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
I better protect mine sooner than later. I just noticed that there is a bean size dimple made by a rock or something. I didn't see anything leaking around it, so I'm assuming that it is not serious.
As long as you still have cold AC, you're good to go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
if you look at many car condensers they have rock dents in them. more on passengers side of car,
fix is hardware cloth from hardware store held on by zip ties, 1/8 or so square galvanized mesh.
put this on both my 99 and 04 cars

·
Registered
84 Posts

Hey thanks for posting your design and material sources. I ordered these and will be building my own also. It looks much better. Thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quickdtoo, I just got my rubber edge and mesh... How did you cut the mesh so perfectly to fit? Any tip on this before I start cutting it out? lol

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
Quickdtoo, I just got my rubber edge and mesh... How did you cut the mesh so perfectly to fit? Any tip on this before I start cutting it out? lol
I made a cardboard template, the only hard part was the ends which I made a separate template just to get the shape by triming and fitting until it matched, then used it to trace onto the full template, you only need to make one since you can flip it over for the opposite end. I used the tip of a box cutter to trace around the template onto the mesh, it removes the paint leaving a brite line to cut on.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quickdtoo, thanks to you, I was able make one just like yours. It looks pretty good and does not look out of place at all. I can now drive my car without worrying about AC Compressor getting smashed with rocks.
I don't know how you were able to get the zip ties around to hold but I had to use longer zip ties to get them into U shape to circle back out to me..lol. It took me a few hours but well worth the trouble. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
Quickdtoo, thanks to you, I was able make one just like yours. It looks pretty good and does not look out of place at all. I can now drive my car without worrying about AC Compressor getting smashed with rocks.
I don't know how you were able to get the zip ties around to hold but I had to use longer zip ties to get them into U shape to circle back out to me..lol. It took me a few hours but well worth the trouble. Thanks!
I used three 8" ties that are UV resistant, bend and crimp (with pliers) three spots(within ~¾" 180º a couple inches from the tag end so it forms a fairly tight 180º bend that can be pushed thru the mesh and around one of the vertical grill parts, then the tag end pulled back thru the mesh, it took a little trial and error to get each tie lined up, 8" ties give enough room to get all three ties in place before cinching them down.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I received all my materials today. Did you bother to use any adhesive on the edge trim or not?

41 - 60 of 83 Posts
About this Discussion
82 Replies
33 Participants
Quickdtoo
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing