Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just ordered one from @Scarlett1
Steve was a pleasure to deal with, everyone that’s on the fence should order one, it’s inexpensive and it gives you peace of mind especially with the winter, roads are being sanded and salted which leads to broken pavement on badly maintained roads

·
Registered
59 Posts
I installed the screen behind the grill. I really wanted the protection the screen provides but didn't want the visibility of it on the outside of the grill.

Here's some pics of the condenser screen protector installed behind the grill. Thanks @AdventureBuild for offering up the one you bought and thanks @Scarlett1 for putting in the effort and making these.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I installed the screen behind the grill. I really wanted the protection the screen provides but didn't want the visibility of it on the outside of the grill.

Here's some pics of the condenser screen protector installed behind the grill. Thanks @AdventureBuild for offering up the one you bought and thanks @Scarlett1 for putting in the effort and making these.

View attachment 148488
View attachment 148490
View attachment 148491
Looks good! We gotta make time for some Carista programming ASAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts

A couple of questions:
  • Does the TRD version have the active louvers in that area still?
  • If so, is there any alterations needed for any interference issues with the added material?
  • How did you access the area that low in the grill area? Did you remove the lower cover and come in from the bottom?
  • Again, if so, are there anything to look out for during the removal and reassembly?
Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey @JFox562 Yes, it does have the active louvers. There's plenty of room for the screen to be attached since the louvers are located about 1 1/2 inches behind the grill. I cut the screen material so that it extends about 1/2 inch on either side behind the opening on the bottom grill.

I initially tried to access going from the top. I removed the top cover and hood latch, but I still couldn't get to it as there's a bar which sits directly above the bottom grill. So, I went in from the bottom. You have to remove a bunch of 10mm bolts and pins to get the bottom cover off. Once you have the bottom cover off there's another cover underneath you have to remove. This one was a little tricky getting it out as the clearances are tight. I unbolted it and carefully slid it out toward the passenger side.

Holding the screen with one hand and attaching the zip ties took some finesse.

You do have to be careful putting the smaller cover back in place as it has two pieces of foam on either side which creates a seal forcing air through the condenser. Just be careful these are in the correct position when the cover is reinstalled. Then I attached the larger bottom cover.

It took a bit longer than I expected but you can't even tell it's there unless you get right down there and look.

·
Registered
17 Posts

View attachment 148488
View attachment 148490
View attachment 148491
I did the same, I think it looks better. I did both bottom & top grills.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
what are active shutter dampners? - never heard of such a thing does a 19 hybrid xle have them?
Grill shutters open and close depending on temperature, they'd close in cold weather to allow quicker warm up, only the Adventure/Trail and Limited gas models have them as well as all HVs.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I believe on my hybrid XLE only the lower grill that everyone is protecting has the active shutters. They have a decent space to the front grill.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts