Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 97 Rav4 the AC just died. Blower still works but I did notice the clutch is not engaging. When you turn on the system the green light on the AC switch remains on. I tried Haynes to locate the AC compressor fuse but no luck, Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
First thing that comes to mind for me if the compressor isn't coming on in an older vehicle is refrigerant. There's a pressure switch to prevent the compressor from engaging if the refrigerant level is too low. You may have a refrigerant leak and/or need a recharge.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right, totally empty there is a leak somewhere.Visible inspection in the engine compartment shows no compressor oil leak but I did remember that while driving w/ AC on there was a smell of PAG 150 oil . Took out the Evaporator and found some residual oil around the lines near the expansion valve. I will try to pressure check the evap and dunk it in water see if the leak is coming from there. Any other suggestions. BTW anyone know what how much PSI goes thru the evaporator?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I found the leak if anyone is interested. It was at the expansion valve where the lines hook up to,o ring failed. How do I know? The leak sprayed inside the evap housing leaving a mark. After insalling a new o ring, vacunm system everything is back to normal. An added bonus since I had to open up the housing for the evaporator I was able to clean out all the rotten leaves that was causing the smell in the cabin last summer. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts