Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before and could offer a bit of advice. I have a 2009 Rav 4 Base AWD.

Last summer my AC stopped working so I figured there must be a break in the system and I was not willing to spend a lot of cash to fix it. Just for the hell of it I leave the AC button in the on position and every once in a while it magically comes on. When it works, it works great. If I shut off the engine it wont usually come back on again until "it wants to". I went looking for an answer and found a video on youtube that describes a relay labeled "MG CLT"
- I found where the relay should be but there is an empty space there.

I have tried to figure out what causes the AC to start working but it is completely random. It doesn't seem to he temperature related, it doesn't seem to be a bad connection, it just has a mind of its own.

Any advice??

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Your profile says that your RAV has an I4 engine. Only the V6 models have a magnetic clutch. The compressor on your RAV will always be turning, so there is not a simple way to visually check if the compressor is running.

The amount of cooling is determined by changing the displacement of a variable displacement AC compressor.

My first assumption would be that your system pressure is low. The good news is that checking the system pressure is probably the easiest test to perform. It's no more difficult than checking the pressure in your tires. You will need a gauge designed for AC pressures though. You may find a local garage that will walk out into the parking lot and check it for free, or you can buy your own gauge.

Only after performing the simple pressure test would I get into the more complicated electrical troubleshooting.

You might also want to search these forums because there are many posts regarding AC not working problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts