Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Rav4, manual transmission, 4WD
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to stay away from this forum. :)

Today, I decided to recharge my A/C since it's been blowing warm air. To my surprise, during the process, I noticed leaks in two places coming from the hose or pipe below.

Questions: Why is this happening? Is something blocked? How do I go about fixing this problem?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

·
Read Only
1,401 Posts
I am not particularly hands-on experienced in refrigerant systems. I know there are high pressure concerns, and this should not be taken lightly. I would take the Rav to a shop specialized in automotive air conditioning.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Get some AC dye and put it in on the low side while running. Use a UV light to locate the leaks, just in case there are more.

If it is indeed leaking from there, and the system is empty, replace the hose, replace the receiver dryer (under the airbox) and the RD orings, then either get a vacuum pump and manifold gauge and vacuum the system down, then recharge. Alternately, after all of that, take it to a shop to do the vacuum/recharge for you.

I just replaced my condenser and RD. I had a manifold gauge already, so I bought a vacuum pump. Worked like a charm, now I have icy AC again.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Today, I decided to recharge my A/C since it's been blowing warm air. To my surprise, during the process, I noticed leaks in two places coming from the hose or pipe below.

Questions: Why is this happening? Is something blocked? How do I go about fixing this problem? … Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Cause-Effect. Blowing warm b/c of the leak as you found out.

The AC system on cars/homes are a “sealed” closed system! Once it was filled w/correct refrigerant and correct type/amount of compressor oil, there should be NO NEED to ever touch it unless a leak or equipment damage/failure. The majority of drivers ignorantly believe just recharge, which is wrong. Why is it not blowing cold? Rule out leaks and equipment failure. Knowledge is power. Ignorance wastes money and time.

Sorry to say, but you don’t know what you are doing and you lack proper tools. Given your limited skill set and lack of knowledge, you may be better off paying for the repair. Unless you are willing to learn (get the factory service manual or the Chilton/Haynes at the very least) and proper tools.

2007 Prius still blows cold b/c NO leaks. Occasional check w/ a manifold gauge still shows correct pressure readings based on ambient temperature and humidity.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get some AC dye and put it in on the low side while running. Use a UV light to locate the leaks, just in case there are more.

If it is indeed leaking from there, and the system is empty, replace the hose, replace the receiver dryer (under the airbox) and the RD orings, then either get a vacuum pump and manifold gauge and vacuum the system down, then recharge. Alternately, after all of that, take it to a shop to do the vacuum/recharge for you.

I just replaced my condenser and RD. I had a manifold gauge already, so I bought a vacuum pump. Worked like a charm, now I have icy AC again.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Thank you @kamakeraion for this helpful information. I finally gathered all the equipment I need to go through this process. If I have more questions, I will surely ask! I will report back with the results.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The AC system on cars/homes are a “sealed” closed system! Once it was filled w/correct refrigerant and correct type/amount of compressor oil, there should be NO NEED to ever touch it unless a leak or equipment damage/failure.
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can't seem to stay away from this forum. :)

View attachment 169831

Questions: Why is this happening? Is something blocked? How do I go about fixing this problem? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Are you sure it is actually leaking? There shouldn't be any water inside the pipe to leak out, there should be R-134a which is a gas when at atmospheric pressure That looks like the return line to the compressor which will be cold, likely colder than the dew point of the air in your area. Could you just be seeing condensation dripping off?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts