Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to notice some days that it has been taking 30 to 45 seconds for the air to start to cool while driving off. Has anyone else experienced this? My '13 has just under 16k miles on it and has the electronic climate control.

·
0 Posts
New to this forum

The AC is working as designed. Extreme under hood temperatures and or interior delays engagement of AC compressor to prevent damage to compressor. Extreme heat quickly raises discharge pressure to damaging levels.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did notice this happening at mid day when it was hot out which supports what you are saying.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Where we live air conditioning, be it in house or car, is a matter of life or death and I kid you not. Many poverty stricken people here are hospitalized and die annually due to no air conditioning. I have a weird medical condition where I MUST have A/C and many fans blowing almost all year long.

Enjoy what you've got and set it up properly when you start the car. Our '08 models don't have to deal with eco and all that crap. You fire up the engine, turn up the A/C and it's blowing cold in short order.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I have been having problems with my AC also. When it sits outside for a while int he hot sun, the AC will not come on. It took about 1 hour the first time driving down the highway ...
Something is wrong, your timepiece or the vehicle. Have it checked out.

Be sure you have Automatic on, and the temperature set. Come on back after checking both.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Modern A/C systems are designed and operate differently from older ones. They use proportioning valves to continuously adjust the output instead of being simpler ON-OFF systems. They help reduce fuel consumption (they use less than 50% of energy as older ON-OFF systems) and last much, much longer. The downside is that they require longer time and higher engine RPMs to come fully ON on hot days (usually around 1 minute, and up to 5 minutes in extreme cases). The fuel consumption reduction and reliability benefits greatly outweigh the small disadvantage of somewhat slower start-up.

Basically, all modern cars do that, including my 2014 Venza, my wife's 2016 RAV4, my son's 2013 Dodge and my daughter's 2016 KIA. Very few cars built after 2010 have an "ancient" ON-OFF A/C system.

If you don't like progress (better fuel efficiency, less environmental impact, better reliability) and the 1-2 minutes delay is too much to bear, you can always buy an old (pre-2010) used car and enjoy "instantaneous" A/C.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts