Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My wife drives a 2007 limited V6, we just got back from vacations abroad and when we got in the car I could hear a light whining coming from the engine bay. After some fiddling I figured that the whining only happens when the AC is running and I can only hear it at idle, if I run the engine no noise.
I'm thinking compressor pulley/bearing maybe?
How hard is this going to hurt me (and the wallet) ?
Possible to replace by myself and have a shop do the fill up?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Hey guys,

My wife drives a 2007 limited V6, we just got back from vacations abroad and when we got in the car I could hear a light whining coming from the engine bay. After some fiddling I figured that the whining only happens when the AC is running and I can only hear it at idle, if I run the engine no noise.
I'm thinking compressor pulley/bearing maybe?
How hard is this going to hurt me (and the wallet) ?
Possible to replace by myself and have a shop do the fill up?

Thanks in advance!

Couple of assumptions first...
Noise was definitely not there before you went on vac?
It was parked while you were away, nobody else using it?
Were you gone a looooong time,(months)? Or a couple weeks.
Compressors do make some noise while operating, a "slight whine" wouldn't sound like it's necessarily a problem. Perhaps use it for a while and see if it gets any worse?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gone 2 weeks, car parked outside, no one else used it. Not sure it was there before we left. I'm gonna check again tonight, we have been back for a week now and my wife has put a few more miles on it since I heard the whine. Is there a way to grease the shaft or bearing? I need to check the charge in it too.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Gone 2 weeks, car parked outside, no one else used it. Not sure it was there before we left. I'm gonna check again tonight, we have been back for a week now and my wife has put a few more miles on it since I heard the whine. Is there a way to grease the shaft or bearing? I need to check the charge in it too.

No way to lube the compressor afaik. If it's a belt tensioner, you would just replace it. Speaking of the belt, how old is it and how does it look?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are at 117k miles, replaced belts and water pump around 92k. Didn't get to look at the car yesterday and it will be too late tonight to check it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts