Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:surprise 2015 RAV4 LTD purchased in Jan 2015 Filed complaint with NHTSA today. When driving uphill on slight grade and attempting to pass, flooring the gas pedal does nothing, Like car went into neutral, but no engine whine. Very quiet. Dealer said that is normal due to computer computers vs hard wire. BS. He said hold pedal to floor and acceleration will 'kick in'. Tried that. 2-4 seconds later still nothing. Meanwhile cars or semis in the left lane have to slow down because I am slowing down! Pumped pedal, still nothing, then finally it accelerates. Happened about 5 times since I've had the car. Not happy. Plus I get looks from drivers in the left lane that I force to slow down because my car is not accelerating. Don't know if any TSBs are out on this. My RAV4 was made in Japan for Hawaii market. Anybody else have this problem?

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
You mentioned an acceleration problem in another thread and there have been reports of unintended acceleration as noted in that thread, but I have not seen anything such as the problem which you have mentioned in your post here. Perhaps other 4.4 owners have.

Reactions: .233562

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Do you by chance have one of those insurance company OBD-II things plugged in?
Metromile and Progressive's Snapshot are two examples.

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blogson - unintended acceleration is not an issue for me. It's failure to accelerate when gas pedal is depressed when trying to pass.
Pico - Negative. I'm not the slowest driver so wouldn't want anything installed that would show my driving speeds.
Bill1146 - You may be on to something there. I have tried putting it into Sports mode, but seems that after a while it automatically jumps back into eco mode. May be some confusion on my part between eco mode and the eco light that comes on, usually when I'm below 2000 RPM. Let me explain this again: when I go into Sport mode, the Sport light in the instrument panel comes on. Later while I am still driving the light is off. Does the RAV4 automatically switch out of sports mode after speed decreases or a certain time limit?
On another point, I was unable to order Blind Spot monitoring and lane monitoring because the cars sold here in Hawaii come from Japan, and the Japanese models don't offer those options.
One last thing. Anybody else have problems with sunlight washing out the backup camera picture? Maybe not so much for Blogson in the UK.
Thanks all for your responses. Sure miss my 2004 RAV4.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The sport mode reverts back to "normal" mode when the car is restarted unfortunately. Eco mode is maintained if set. But sport mode should stay on for the duration of a drive until turned off or the car is turned off.
FYI, the eco light(the one that tells you you are driving economically, not eco mode) can be shut off. I hated that light.

·
Registered
210 Posts
"Anybody else have problems with sunlight washing out the backup camera picture?"

Yes, mine is useless in the sunlight; works great at night.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE with 7400+ miles

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
"Anybody else have problems with sunlight washing out the backup camera picture?"

Yes, mine is useless in the sunlight; works great at night.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE with 7400+ miles

X-3 for me!

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sports Mode no panacea

My mistake. SUV stays in Sports Mode until engine stops. But, had similar problem yesterday when in Sports mode. Car in front going slow. Moved to right lane.Hit gas pedal...huge hesitation...then it kicked in. Not as bad as Eco Mode, but still maybe 2 seconds of hesitation. Computer or not, car should accelerate when gas pedal is pressed down. Should be no hesitation. I should have bought the Lexus 350 SUV. Not happy with acceleration issues on this RAV4. Not sure is RAV4's made in the US have this problem. Can anybody confirm one way or the other?

Going to try and rig some cardboard cutout to shield the display from sunlight during the day time...when I do 99% of my driving...as i am retired.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
When I want power on the highway NOW I downshift (in my case to 4th), just as I did with manual transmissions all my life. It works immediately. In the city I leave it in 3rd. Same tactic.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I find that the Rav is actually less responsive if you make sudden pedal movements. This is purely anecdotal but I found acceleration to be far better by gradually pressing the pedal to the floor.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I drive in sport mode basically all of the time and have not experienced acceleration issues. There is a lot going on when you go from highway cruising to full throttle acceleration. The car has to "think" about everything that is happening. RAV4 might not have a lot of power but I have never found the need to put the pedal to the floor. And it's unnecessary hard on the vehicle. The hesitation is most likely the vehicle trying to protect itself as it's going to have to do a few downshifts to compensate for the lack of power.

Next time try to give half throttle, giving the car a chance to downshift first. Then continue to give more throttle if needed.

G

·
But, had similar problem yesterday when in Sports mode. Car in front going slow. Moved to right lane.Hit gas pedal...huge hesitation...then it kicked in.
I found that if you snap the pedal down, the vehicle has a very long delay.
What I do now, is gradually depress the pedal, and it takes off, no delay...
And the pedal never makes it to the floor before I'm going way too fast..
Also, I'm in normal mode.

Give me back my old non-computer, non-emission vehicles.
When you hit the pedal, you got thrown back into the seat..

·
Registered
579 Posts
I found that if you snap the pedal down, the vehicle has a very long delay.
What I do now, is gradually depress the pedal, and it takes off, no delay...
And the pedal never makes it to the floor before I'm going way too fast..
Also, I'm in normal mode.

Give me back my old non-computer, non-emission vehicles.
When you hit the pedal, you got thrown back into the seat..
If you wanted to get thrown back into the seat, the 176hp RAV4 was not the correct choice.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Welcome to the world of 'drive-by-wire' technology! ?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The hesitation is most likely the vehicle trying to protect itself as [...]
The computer operates at thousands of cycles per second, so it has already made up its mind; it is programmed to delay so the driver is certain he really wanted to go wide-full-open (WFO).

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all replies.
c7aea - My first car, a 1964 6Volt VW Bug, bought new in Germany where I was in the service, and sold in 1980, would struggle up the slight grade I drive. My 2004 RAV4, 4 cylinders, had more than enough power for me. The 4 cylinders today are as or more powerful then the old V6s.
Pico - my trans is automatic so don't know about downshifting although i do have an S mode ( - and +) on the left side of the D. Dealer told me just leave it in D. If in fact the computer is programmed to delay I can understand that...but no one at the dealership mentioned that. I would think all drive by wire vehicles would act the same. Do they?
Mikey D - Prior to my Jan purchase, My last purchases were in 2004. Bought a RAV4 for me and a Mercedes E320 for the wife. Still got the 2004 Mercedes. Has less than 16K on the odometer. Wife doesn't drive much and I prefer the RAV4. Of course these were drive by cable technology and instantly responsive, so this drive by wire is new to me.
Bill1426 - I'll take your advice and try and go slow on the gas pedal when passing. New learning curve for me.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
my trans is automatic so don't know about downshifting although
My shifter is arranged so that just moving it left will downshift. Move right to resume D(rive).
Perhaps yours is similar.

PS: I still have my '58 Bug - but upgraded - bored, stroked, dual carbs, Hurst shifter. :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts