Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed my Rav makes some strange moises while I'm accelerating. If I step on it, like I'm passing someone, I hear a really high pitched whistle. It sounds like maybe a vacuum leak but since it only does it while driving, I'm not sure how to find the problem. It also makes a rattling noise from under the hood if I'm climbing a hill or if I have a load (or trailer). Any ideas how to figure these noises out since they only happen while I'm driving? Thanks

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
xosop,
Hmm, I wonder if the rattling noise is pinging? When was your last tuneup? Might want to change gas brands for a bit too...

As far as the whistle, yeah, it's prolly a vacum or intake leak...I recall reading something about spraying starter fluid around the intake lines while the car is idling, if the idle picks up, you've found the leak...might be worth a shot...

But certainly, check that big intake hose for cracks or leaks...

Bogatyr

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't think its starter fluid
i remember reading that you should spray wd-40
just don't get too much on the rubber hoses cuz it does chew em up

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bogatyr
I changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, and added K&N drop in filter within the last year (can't remember exactly how long ago).

I've tried using different gases, but it dosen't seem to make a difference.

I just got a vacuum gauge to test out my vacuum, but I'm a little confused about where to hook it up. My book says to connect it "directly to the intake manifold vacuum, not to ported (throttle body) vacuum." Is this the vacuum line opposite the throttle body on the intake manifold?

I remember using starter fluid on an old Honda to test for a vacuum leak before. Maybe it'll work here. I've never heard of using WD40. Maybe I'll give that a shot (I know I have some WD40).

thanks guys

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have faced alike problem. High pitched whistling noise mainly appearing with full throttle.

I went through and checked all rubber parts and their seals from intake side. Visual inspection showed no signs.

I can't say sure whether reason is poorly fitting air filter that I do changed about a month ago.

How usefully there earlier methods are in diagnostics?

Sent from my GT-S5690 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Some people intentionally install parts to cause that turbo like whistle on their car.
It's a very high pressure which gets ventilated by the engine to keep it from blowing apart.
It's very common the car does this. You should really have your car checked if it would not do it, because then it will soon overload on pressure and your engine will kill itself that way.

The higher charged the engine is, the more it needs to let go of pressure at full throttle to keep within it's limits. Turbocharged or even supercharged engines have specific sounds to that people love to hear.
There is nothing wrong with it.
Greetz

Pim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts