Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving on the highway today and went to pick up my coffee cup out of the cup holder. It ended up slipping out of my hand and half of my coffee ended up dumping into the gear selector boot. It didn't seem to harm anything since everything is functional, but I want to get into the center console and mop up whatever liquid is in there. Does anyone know what would be the easiest way to go about this? Can the top panel that outlines the gear selector be unclipped with a pry tool or do I need to remove the entire center console?

EDIT: I probably should have mentioned I have a 2017, but I believe all 4th gen models are the same.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind, I figured it out! The top of the console from the front cup holder to the back is one molded piece, so you slide a pry tool into the seam and work your way around. Once the console is lifted up, disconnect the plug for the console illumination, then remove it completely.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice, did u find coffee? this will help with some interior Plasti Dip ideas my girlfriend and I have. We plan to protect the car but the plasti Dip probably will only help with scratches and such.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess some of it went into the gear selector mechanism, which I'm not going to try and take apart tonight. I'm just hoping most of it went where you can see in the pictures. I was able to get all of that out with a shop vac.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd say great job taking care of that. So there were no tabs to push back at all, you just pry it off with something non-marring?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd say great job taking care of that. So there were no tabs to push back at all, you just pry it off with something non-marring?
Yep, the tabs are just held in by tension, not clipped in. It was very easy to remove.

Still having difficulty getting rid of the smell from the flavored coffee creamer, it's getting to be nauseating. I suspect some of it went into the frame. I don't feel comfortable removing the shifter assembly because the computer for the airbags sits underneath the armrest console and you have to unplug those harnesses, remove a lot of tape securing the wiring - it's just not worth the time and risk of voiding the warranty.

I wonder if I can find a product I can spray in the holes of the frame that will neutralize or mask the odor. I wonder if brake cleaner would be safe. In the meantime, I set some baking soda in the console and I leave the sunroof cracked at night. I'll give it week or so.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess some of it went into the gear selector mechanism, which I'm not going to try and take apart tonight. I'm just hoping most of it went where you can see in the pictures. I was able to get all of that out with a shop vac.

I don' t kmow if this is relevant to the Rav4 as I have never seen the shifter mechanism but when I worked at a GM dealership a Pontiac was towed in with drivability problems. It would start and run then shut off. After days of diagnosing we came up empty. The data to the ECU was erratic. The problem as we came to find out was the owner had spilled coke into the consul. The wiring connectors and shifter switch had all corroded and sent mixed signals to the ECU. We cleaned everything up and fixed the problem.
If you can see the connectors on the Rav, I would spray them with a good electrical cleaner and lube the shifter if it is accessible. You can also coat the connectors with electrical compound. Coffee and coke get real sticky when it dries out and will cause all kinds of problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts