Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the proper name for these accessory slots are the blank "covers" or "plugs" that fit into them are called?

I got this to be able to charge my phone: Robot Check but unfortunately it is too thin and too long. It would have fit in my old 4runner for sure, but not in the RAV4. I'm thinking of taking one of the blanks and grinding it down with a dremel so I can fit in the two USBs, but I noticed the two slots are DIFFERENT. They use the exact same cover to fit in nicely so why would they seem to be for specific accessories??

Thanks,
BDE

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,971 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks a lot! This is basically what I was looking for regarding the part number.

I did see that one, but both my and my wife's smartphones' and also my son's kindle's adapters are 2.0A so I thought this one was a bit lacking if we wanted to charge at the same time. It does look like the more appropriate shape, though, now that I have actually tried to install the first. Maybe I will have to settle for it and just keep charging to one at a time!

Any idea why the two slots are different when they should hold the same type of accessory? I guess if you are going to use a toyota OEM accessory they want to make sure you orient it the right way and the DAC or HAC are the ones whose little black boxes have those types of shapes?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I picked up one of each of these
Mictuning USB Charger for Toyota Switch Plant
by Mictuning
Link: http://amzn.com/B010T3CR8A

Mgotu 5V 3.1A Car Dual USB Port Adapter Cell Phone Charger for TOYOTA
by Mgotu
Link: http://amzn.com/B00X703B92

had to send the Mictuning back, the Mgotu fits perfect beside the cigarette lighter (tapped the power from the cig lighter)
Would assume they fit fine on the left side by the interior light dimmer switches too.

Try the Mgotu.

·
Registered
244 Posts
To bad that the USB chargers do not come with dashboard matching amber LED inside, only blue, red, green, or white.
But they do make Toyota switches for different purpose, and with amber LED light inside.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know what the proper name for these accessory slots are the blank "covers" or "plugs" that fit into them are called?

I got this to be able to charge my phone: Robot Check but unfortunately it is too thin and too long. It would have fit in my old 4runner for sure, but not in the RAV4. I'm thinking of taking one of the blanks and grinding it down with a dremel so I can fit in the two USBs, but I noticed the two slots are DIFFERENT. They use the exact same cover to fit in nicely so why would they seem to be for specific accessories??

Thanks,
BDE
Damn, I just bought that one two days ago. Good to know I have to send it back. Shame on me for not checking the forums first.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I keep running out of red taps, but blue seems to work...

ABN Gauge Solderless Wire Quick Splice Connector
by ABN
Link: http://amzn.com/B00PR52AKG

3M Scotchlok Electrical IDC 560B-BOX, Double Run or Tap, Flame Retardant, Blue, 18-16 AWG (solid/stranded), 14 AWG (stranded (Pack of 100)
3M
Link: http://amzn.com/B0002BFZ8E

and havent tried the Mictuning after i found the Mgotu fit perfect
Instead of those connectors one can use ATM Fuse taps. Search Ebay using the word "ACS-J" and you can find them for as low as $1.59 each. (shipped)

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
Great idea to use those slots. But isn't it kind of out of the way to be charging your phone? Unless you use some kind of window suction cup holder? I just use a charger in the centre box when needed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used a FUSETAP to connect my donnelley gentex mirror.

For this charger, I simply tapped into my "cigarette" 12V outlet for both the ground and the positive -- anyone think this could cause any problems? I did not ground by screwing to the chassis just tapped into the 12V cig outlet's ground. I used this circuit because it was right in the center console (next to the TRAC switch) which is where I wanted it.

Now I am wondering if I should have used a FUSETAP to connect it to "ON" position rather than "ACC" position (which is what the circuit I tapped into was) since if someone were to put my car into ACC it would be using the mirror plus possibly the USB charger running of the battery without the alternator being on and able to top up the battery.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's by the center console which means you can put the phone in the cup-holder or in the little storage bin below the A/C controls (next to the cupholder).

I have a removable charger that I sometimes put into the center if someone in the backseat needs to charge their phone and use it at the same time, but I can also use this center console one too as long as the cable is long enough and tucked out of the way between a seat and the center console.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got a collection of short usb cables in the flippy box above the glovebox.
got one really long one for folks in the back seat.

the little ones are for charging phones, like the drivers when they go into the little pocket behind the cupholders under the ac
i have like 2foot ones for my passenger who seems to always be playing with her phone while she charges it.

I tapped positive and negative off the cig lighter with two of the little Mgoto USB inserts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I got a few different lengths myself. By the way, I notice one of the wires was red and one was red and black (or some combination of red/black/white stripe) and I was not sure which was positive or negative because this charged didn't come with an install manual! Is there a standard?

I'm pretty sure I got it right in the end (tested the USB pins and they seemed fine, though perhaps the circuit itself compensates for reverse polarity and possibly inefficiently so), do you think this type of charger could cause electrical problems or kill your battery in a couple minutes?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah I got a few different lengths myself. By the way, I notice one of the wires was red and one was red and black (or some combination of red/black/white stripe) and I was not sure which was positive or negative because this charged didn't come with an install manual! Is there a standard?

I'm pretty sure I got it right in the end (tested the USB pins and they seemed fine, though perhaps the circuit itself compensates for reverse polarity and possibly inefficiently so), do you think this type of charger could cause electrical problems or kill your battery in a couple minutes?
Tapped the 12V cig outlet
mine go on/off with the accessories (key position)
I cant see them draining the battery unless you found an always hot lead direct to the battery. Or left the key in the acc position. Which I did once or twice while installing/playing with the radio (b4 the USB install)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tapped my 12V cig outlet, too, the fuse for which is right next to my acc fuse slot in my fusebox.

After my battery suddenly died days after charging it I got worried (probably a coincidence really) that I should have put it into the ignition fusebox so as to always have alternator support :-/

I literally only had something plugged in for a few minutes prior to starting the car, so I did not expect it to drain it. But it is possible that the circuit converting the 12v to 5v is VERY inefficient.

Anyway, how did you know which wire on the device to connect to negative and positive? If memory services, I connected a RED wire to positive and a striped wire to negative, but different people tell me different things about that. I was going by the fact that the battery does red for positive.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I guessed Red was Hot and other was GND.
They say "things you dont know dont hurt you", but the things "you think you know but dont" will kill you.

I assumed RED was hot but cant remember what the color of the other one was or whether it had a stripe or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts