Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend went out of town. Avis car rental service gave us a 2019 RAV4 LE gas edition. We noticed the trim and option differences from hybrid model. But while at a stoplight we were rear ended by a Chevy Silverado. Police think he was going 40-50mph didn’t see any brake tread. The truck went thru our cargo area up to the battery. He backed out left his radiator for a token and took off while we hit the 18wheeler in front of us. I can say with the airbags going off - we have minor bruises, contusions, and slight lumbar fractures. We are able to walk. I may complain about trim and options even the fuel gas indicator not hitting Full - this car is safe. We are lucky we were in the RAV4. My significant other is still next to me and I only wince from pain slightly as I type this

good job TOYOTA. Car is only slightly quirky - refine alittle more to perfect the experience

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 XLE AWD (gas) - Blueprint/Nutmeg
98 Posts
Holy smokes, glad you and your SO are alive and kicking after such a traumatic accident. It is heartening to hear the vehicle did a good job protecting you.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Good to hear that you and your SO weren't more badly injured, and hope that you both recover quickly. Being rear-ended by a Silverado hunk of iron at that estimated speed obviously could have been much worse. The outcome is a testimony to the crash safety built into the RAV4.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to hear you were in a bad accident, glad you and yours are more or less OK though.

Here's to a swift recovery and for the person in the truck to get what they deserve

·
Registered
628 Posts
I am happy to hear your OK. One of my biggest fears is something like this with so many driving around and not paying any attention.

Hopefully they find the clown and charge him for assault with a deadly weapon, which is what it is. Unfortunately they will probably let them off with a fine - too busy prosecuting people for drugs, or selling lemonade without a license.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
This weekend went out of town. Avis car rental service gave us a 2019 RAV4 LE gas edition. We noticed the trim and option differences from hybrid model. But while at a stoplight we were rear ended by a Chevy Silverado. Police think he was going 40-50mph didn’t see any brake tread. The truck went thru our cargo area up to the battery. He backed out left his radiator for a token and took off while we hit the 18wheeler in front of us. I can say with the airbags going off - we have minor bruises, contusions, and slight lumbar fractures. We are able to walk. I may complain about trim and options even the fuel gas indicator not hitting Full - this car is safe. We are lucky we were in the RAV4. My significant other is still next to me and I only wince from pain slightly as I type this

good job TOYOTA. Car is only slightly quirky - refine alittle more to perfect the experience
Glad to hear you all made it out with only minor injury! Great crashworthiness! Hope they get that prick - can’t imagine he got very far with no radiator.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Super happy that everybody is ok. Thanks for sharing the story and the pics. It’s nice having some peace of mind knowing we made a safe purchase for our family.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wife and I said the exact same thing - we are happy made the right choice and this car saved our lives

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is why all new cars should have automatic emergency braking and automatic lane trace assist. Imagine how many lives can be saved because the computer pays far better attention than most humans from being bored at having to drive for hours on end!

Glad you're well and hope they find that Silverado driver and put him in jail!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is why all new cars should have automatic emergency braking and automatic lane trace assist. Imagine how many lives can be saved because the computer pays far better attention than most humans from being bored at having to drive for hours on end!

Glad you're well and hope they find that Silverado driver and put him in jail!!
Correction:

"Driving while texting" most likely.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Glad you guys are okay! Toyota’s safety is quite good.

I had a 2014 Prius and in 2018 I got rear ended on the interstate in a construction zone by another Prius that somehow got around me and then rear ended by an 18 wheeler. My Prius looked like your RAV4 in the back, I didn’t rear end anyone because I had space between me and the car in front of me and traffic started moving at the time of initial impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts

Geez!!! Happy to hear you are ok. Thanks for sharing. Makes me feel good that car protected you

1 - 20 of 40 Posts