Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm glad everyone is OK

So with all of that damage, were you still able to open the doors to get out?

Probably not smooth but it appears that they could be opened. That is impressive.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Glad you are ok!
Very impressive photos. You can tell the impact was hard but looks like the passengers would have been all safe!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good that you guys were able to walk out safe. Wow, that car just took off... Were they able to identify/find that car? Even more reason to suspect they were under the influence.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My sister plowed into someone who pulled out in front of her while she was driving down a residential main thoroughfare. The entire front of her little Toyota Yaris was smashed in, but she was not seriously hurt except for a seat belt bruise that went across her lower rib cage and some nasty cuts on her legs caused by impacting the lower dashboard. Can't say the same for her Yaris as it was totaled. The driver's door opened OK but the passenger door took a little effort to pry open and the windshield remained intact. Toyota does seem to build cars that can survive a hard crash, but really I don't want to test that out in my Rav4 thank you very much.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Actually, cars are design to take the brunt of the impact. With all of the crumbling of the car, the energy of the crash is dissipated so the occupants don't get it as much. Glad your sister walked away as well. Basically, the car sacrificed itself to protector her.

·
Registered
415 Posts
She was so sad that her little car died just to protect her. :cry: This makes me glad that cars are designed to crumple and protect the occupants nowadays. I remember decades ago when I owned a 1978 Chevy pickup truck. It only had lap belts and a bench seat and most of the time I didn't wear them. It wasn't required and I was an idiot. The dash was metal with minimal padding. The gas tank was located on the outside of the frame rails and would explode when crushed during a side impact. That's only marginally better than the pre-72 models that had the stupid gas tank inside the cab right behind your seat. I think back and thank my lucky stars I wasn't killed or barbecued just driving around town.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yep, my mom still has my dad'd 1970 F250 parked in the driveway and yes it not only had the gas tank that sloshed around behind the seat, it also had an auxiliary tank. Basically, a rolling fireball. It too had the filler neck for the one behind the seat stuck out right by the driver door handle just waiting to be sheared off. The cab-over camper in on the side of the house. It has a propane bottle in it. It truly was a rolling fireball just waiting to happen.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This weekend went out of town. Avis car rental service gave us a 2019 RAV4 LE gas edition. We noticed the trim and option differences from hybrid model. But while at a stoplight we were rear ended by a Chevy Silverado. Police think he was going 40-50mph didn’t see any brake tread. The truck went thru our cargo area up to the battery. He backed out left his radiator for a token and took off while we hit the 18wheeler in front of us. I can say with the airbags going off - we have minor bruises, contusions, and slight lumbar fractures. We are able to walk. I may complain about trim and options even the fuel gas indicator not hitting Full - this car is safe. We are lucky we were in the RAV4. My significant other is still next to me and I only wince from pain slightly as I type this

good job TOYOTA. Car is only slightly quirky - refine alittle more to perfect the experience
oh my gosh..so grateful you are both okay..what a serious wreck. The guy behind you must have been drunk or on drugs. Great report cause i wondered about a accident in my car cause in kansas city so many crazy drivers and packed hyways. Glad for your good report. Yrs ago my sister had a new toyota highlander driving about 80 on major highway when a state roaf large snow removal vehicle on left side of highway..moving snow..moved back onto highway right out in front of my sisters car..state guy was sleepy and didnt see my sister coming. My sister, who had my elderly parents in the car too swerved to the right but hit the trucks back right side of snow machine going 80 mi hr..all her air bags opened and by Gods Grace they all survived..but the snow plow guy just kept going down the highway like nothing happened. Totaled her car but they were all fine. Happened in 5 seconds time. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow going 80 with snow around.
Yes snow on both sides of road..but the highway was cleared cause the large orange state road snow plow machine was clearing on the side road of left side of highway. Guess he was tired or something cause my sister was passing an 18 wheeler on the 4 lane state highway going from manhattan, kansas to the va hospital in topeka, ks where my dad was getting a full physical..3 people my parents and my twin sister driving...my folks are both gone now...the state plow was off the road moving snow on the shoulder of the road moving really slowly in his giant machine. Just as my sis going about 70 was passing the 18 wheeler on the right lane..this airhead state guy slowly pulls over into my sisters lane on left..the 18 wheeler saw ahead and knew what wad going to happen so he slowed down and my sister would have hit that state plow on his back side and they all probably had died. My sis just had time to swerve to the right opening that the 18 wheeler left for her but my sisters car was scraped along both sides, the white inside protectors in her brand new toyota highlander opened..they all hit the protector sheets and were okay. They were all ok..pulled to right side of road to breathe and check if my parents were okay. The semi and state plow just kept going down the road like nothinh happened. The whole thing took 5 seconds and the lord saved them..could easily all have been killed. My sister said she only had time to swerve to right side and she did..the huge plow was right in front of but she missed hitting it by a second.. The plow driver could have been killed along with the 18 wheeler guy if it had not been for a miracle..My girlfriends dad was killed because his car was hit by an illegal immigrant who was a city driver for a street cleaning machine and the immigrant from Mexico drove right through a red light and didnt see the car. Wife lived but he died instantly and since city guy was illegal they just sent him back to Mexico and there was no trial. or recourse at all. That was several years ago..it affected the whole family so hard cause her dad was young and very well loved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This weekend went out of town. Avis car rental service gave us a 2019 RAV4 LE gas edition. We noticed the trim and option differences from hybrid model. But while at a stoplight we were rear ended by a Chevy Silverado. Police think he was going 40-50mph didn’t see any brake tread. The truck went thru our cargo area up to the battery. He backed out left his radiator for a token and took off while we hit the 18wheeler in front of us. I can say with the airbags going off - we have minor bruises, contusions, and slight lumbar fractures. We are able to walk. I may complain about trim and options even the fuel gas indicator not hitting Full - this car is safe. We are lucky we were in the RAV4. My significant other is still next to me and I only wince from pain slightly as I type this

good job TOYOTA. Car is only slightly quirky - refine alittle more to perfect the experience
Oh wow, so glad that everyone was alright.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes snow on both sides of road..but the highway was cleared cause the large orange state road snow plow machine was clearing on the side road of left side of highway. Guess he was tired or something cause my sister was passing an 18 wheeler on the 4 lane state highway going from manhattan, kansas to the va hospital in topeka, ks where my dad was getting a full physical..3 people my parents and my twin sister driving...my folks are both gone now...the state plow was off the road moving snow on the shoulder of the road moving really slowly in his giant machine. Just as my sis going about 70 was passing the 18 wheeler on the right lane..this airhead state guy slowly pulls over into my sisters lane on left..the 18 wheeler saw ahead and knew what wad going to happen so he slowed down and my sister would have hit that state plow on his back side and they all probably had died. My sis just had time to swerve to the right opening that the 18 wheeler left for her but my sisters car was scraped along both sides, the white inside protectors in her brand new toyota highlander opened..they all hit the protector sheets and were okay. They were all ok..pulled to right side of road to breathe and check if my parents were okay. The semi and state plow just kept going down the road like nothinh happened. The whole thing took 5 seconds and the lord saved them..could easily all have been killed. My sister said she only had time to swerve to right side and she did..the huge plow was right in front of but she missed hitting it by a second.. The plow driver could have been killed along with the 18 wheeler guy if it had not been for a miracle..My girlfriends dad was killed because his car was hit by an illegal immigrant who was a city driver for a street cleaning machine and the immigrant from Mexico drove right through a red light and didnt see the car. Wife lived but he died instantly and since city guy was illegal they just sent him back to Mexico and there was no trial. or recourse at all. That was several years ago..it affected the whole family so hard cause her dad was young and very well loved.
Sorry about this, but they always say don't pass snow plows because they can't see very well with all of the snow blowing around when they are plowing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yep, my mom still has my dad'd 1970 F250 parked in the driveway and yes it not only had the gas tank that sloshed around behind the seat, it also had an auxiliary tank. Basically, a rolling fireball. It too had the filler neck for the one behind the seat stuck out right by the driver door handle just waiting to be sheared off. The cab-over camper in on the side of the house. It has a propane bottle in it. It truly was a rolling fireball just waiting to happen.

I also owned a Ford Pinto in high school and drove it through college. I got rid of it for guess what? The Chevy pickup. I must have had desires of being a fireball or something because I kept buying vehicles that exploded when hit. I don't think Detroit vehicles had safety in mind back then.

One thing about the Pinto, it had those 1970's 5 mile per hour beefy ugly chrome bumpers. I was driving back to school one dark night and it started raining while the outside temp was around 32 degrees. All was fine on the roads until I got to the backside of one small hill. The tire sound changed immediately from wet to dry, although unfortunately, it wasn't dry. It was a downhill frozen solid black ice skating rink with a hill on one side and a drop off on the other. The short little car immediately swapped ends and did two 180's before I even tried to brake. My life flashed before my eyes as I saw headlights swirling around me and had visions of going over the embankment. Fortunately, I smacked the hill on the side of road with the front of the car on as it came to a stop and nobody smashed into me. I got out a little shook up and looked at the front of the car. No damage except for a little mud jammed into the bumper from the hill and a peeled back license plate. I drove back home very carefully to lick my wounds since it was closer. Worst ice storm in Portland, OR history that year too. If I did that same thing with a new car today, it would've ripped off a good chunk of the front end.

·
Registered
34 Posts

The above is a late model CRV that was involved in a fatal accident (driver) in my area. News reports stated CRV was rear ended by Tundra travelling at a high rate of speed. CRV was stopped at red light.

Very unfortunate and similar to OP's accident. Be safe.

·
Registered
662 Posts
View attachment 150534

The above is a late model CRV that was involved in a fatal accident (driver) in my area. News reports stated CRV was rear ended by Tundra travelling at a high rate of speed. CRV was stopped at red light.

Very unfortunate and similar to OP's accident. Be safe.
Very unfortunate indeed. The driver area looks intact. I wonder if seats belts were being used?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts