Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my 96 RAV4 auto/awd in the woods and hit a deer. It pushed the radiator core support back quite a bit and broke a headlight, but the radiator survived. There was some things mashed together that caused a wiring harness to rub one of the electric fan blades, so I chained the radiator core support to a tree and backed up to make some clearance. I found that the cold air intake tube (plastic tube that runs from the air cleaner to the core support) was pushing the harness, so I pulled it out. Everything was driveable then.

When I drove it back to town, I noticed that while it was a bit louder, it seemed to have more power than it used to. I replaced the hood and the headlight, but left the air intake tube off. After driving it for several weeks, I now realize that it does, in fact, have more power, and I have gained 1.5 mpg. Who would have thought that the tube was that restrictive!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yep, removing that poorly designed pipe was the first thing I did to mine. Goes better, but could do with an alternative supply of cold air. Sounds nice too :)

PS sorry about how you found out about it :(

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mine came with this as std from the factory. Part way through matching the ports to the gasket, will then get it ceramic coated in black. The OBX will be better, but will take more work to fit.

So will give slight improvement in flow and heat reduction, while still looking std.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I did lots of reading up on exhaust sizes. For the sort of power a 3S-FE gives, 2.25 is enough.

I am thinking about getting a stainless system made up from the downpipe, but it'll be costly for a good one. Have found cheaper places, but the quality of their welding looked rubbish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts