Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was fixing a paint chip and used some nail polish remover to remove excess paint from the paint pen…

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was fixing a paint chip and used some nail polish remover to remove excess paint from the paint pen…
Acetone cannot be left on paint for more than a few seconds. I know people use it to clean something, but then you must clean off the acetone right away, or bad things happen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, left it on for a couple minutes and that was a big mistake. Hopefully a quick fix at the dealership…

·
Registered
567 Posts
The only quick fix "MAYBE" is to use rubbing compound or try a less agressive polishing compound and hope the acetone did not penetrate to far into the paint. Acetone should evaporate within seconds if left on the surface.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try using polishing compound. It is less abrasive than rubbing compound. If that doesn't work, use a little rubbing compound. If that doesn't work, repaint the entire panel.....

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
501 Posts
I am just now realizing the yellow stain is because I used a YELLOW microfiber cloth. Would something like Turtle Wax rubbing compound remove the stain? Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound for Cars 10.5 OZ
If you are not experienced in car care do not use rubbing compound on a new RAV4. It is too easy for beginners to rub right through the clear coat and color coat into the primer. I would never use rubbing compound on a clear coated car like the RAV anyways. You will make an unsightly mess because in certain light conditions you will see a haze of scratches in the area. Take the RAV a good detailer for advice and to fix it. The RAV cost you good money to purchase. You already screwed it up by your inexperience. Don't make the damage worse. The dealer will probably want his body shop to repaint the entire fender.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd say. The compound says its designed not to affect clear coat and I didn't notice it had. Buffed it up with some wax and looks as good as new.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd say. The compound says its designed not to affect clear coat and I didn't notice it had. Buffed it up with some wax and looks as good as new.
Good News, Definitely stick with proper products. I've used wrong products myself and had bad consequences; live and learn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts