Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Toyota, my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid XLE has 14.8 gallons capacity in the fuel tank. Today I got it pretty close to empty with warning lights on, gauge slightly above the bottom line, and computer telling me I have 25 miles worth of gas left. I pulled into the gas station and was only able to add about 10.6 gallons worth of gas into the tank, meaning I still have at least 4 gallons of fuel in the tank before the fill up!

Is this a "safety" feature Toyota put in place so I don't run out of gas? 4 gallons left in the tank with my average real world 30 MPG should get me at least 100 miles before empty, why did the computer and all those warning started popping up and telling me I only have 25 miles left? Also, where the needle gauge was at does not look at all like there's still 4 gallons of fuel left. Is this normal, or should I have Toyota look into it?

Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
This is completely normal. All RAV4 Hybrids are like this.

You should be looking for a gas station when the warning comes on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have to add to this. I did my fourth fill-up on my 2018 RAV4 hybrid this morning. Fuel light came on and mileage told me 30 miles until empty. It took 11.553 gallons on a 14.8-gallon tank.

Not only that, but the gas tank SPILLED OVER before the pump automatically clicked off! I don't know whether it was the pump or the car. Then, when I screwed the gas cap back on, it clicked once but appeared to be on crookedly. I took it back off to replace it properly and now it won't click at all. Ugh... at least I won't need gas anytime soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is completely normal. All RAV4 Hybrids are like this.

You should be looking for a gas station when the warning comes on.
I personally think this is the wrong attitude - to accept the "company line" in absolute. I like Toyota, am on my 3rd one here in the USA; I lived in Toyota City (Koromo-cho), Itsutsugaoka for 7 years among design and other engineers and company executives; Did I say I like Toyota, I sure do, but that doesn't mean that everything they do is right.

This is not about WHO is right, but WHAT is right. 4 gallons out of 14 (nearly 30%) not used in the gauge measurement? That is ridiculous. A calibration of 15% max or less would be sufficient. KNOWING you have 4 gallons left at empty is more seducing to stretch the limits than knowing what the real truth is. "What" is right is more important than "Who" is right. Sure, we can do "search", but that doesn't mean that we should roll over and take everything without letting them know that some things need changing.

There have been enough complaints on this forum about this one issue (do a search) that Toyota probably needs to change their approach on the gas gauge on the RAV4.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally think this is the wrong attitude - to accept the "company line" in absolute. I like Toyota, am on my 3rd one here in the USA; I lived in Toyota City (Koromo-cho), Itsutsugaoka for 7 years among design and other engineers and company executives; Did I say I like Toyota, I sure do, but that doesn't mean that everything they do is right.

This is not about WHO is right, but WHAT is right. 4 gallons out of 14 (nearly 30%) not used in the gauge measurement? That is ridiculous. A calibration of 15% max or less would be sufficient. KNOWING you have 4 gallons left at empty is more seducing to stretch the limits than knowing what the real truth is. "What" is right is more important than "Who" is right. Sure, we can do "search", but that doesn't mean that we should roll over and take everything without letting them know that some things need changing.

There have been enough complaints on this forum about this one issue (do a search) that Toyota probably needs to change their approach on the gas gauge on the RAV4.
Thank you very much!! This is my third Toyota as well, and my previous two were both well kept early 80's Toyota that lasted about 250k on the odometer. I was brought up with old school wisdom that those warning lights comes on when you have about 15 to 20 miles before running out, and it did happen to my '84 Camry one time back in the mid 90's. Kinda thought with today's technology and computer systems and cars that can parallel park itself you would get even more accurate fuel info especially with a "fuel efficient hybrid vehicle" like my '17 Rav4 Hybrid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I noticed this "problem" also on my car. It says that I am low on fuel and that I can drive only 40 km more. When I refill, I am able to put only 42 liters. I don't think it takes the remaining 14 liters to drive 40 km. It seems that Toyota really wants us to not run out of gas with our cars. Anyway, my car consumes 6.5L/100km which is great for a 1.8 tones car with a petrol engine. Very pleased with this.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,087 Posts
I have to add to this. I did my fourth fill-up on my 2018 RAV4 hybrid this morning. Fuel light came on and mileage told me 30 miles until empty. It took 11.553 gallons on a 14.8-gallon tank.

Not only that, but the gas tank SPILLED OVER before the pump automatically clicked off! I don't know whether it was the pump or the car. Then, when I screwed the gas cap back on, it clicked once but appeared to be on crookedly. I took it back off to replace it properly and now it won't click at all. Ugh... at least I won't need gas anytime soon.
You must replace that cap if it doesn't click, it may not get a good seal and will cause problems and lower your gas mileage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You must replace that cap if it doesn't click, it may not get a good seal and will cause problems and lower your gas mileage.
Thanks, eodgator... next time I fueled up it had no problems and gas mileage ha been quite decent so it seems all is well. They didn't find anything wrong with it at its first service.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The age old wisdom to never run a gas tank to empty is because the fuel pump is a small electric motor that is cooled by the gasoline, which acts as a heatsink. Another is because there is sediment at the bottom of the tank. I'm sure there are more reasons that I haven't heard about.

That said, it's a free country, and you probably have a don't tread on me sticker somewhere on your RAV4, so you are welcome to run your tank as empty as you want. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
The age old wisdom to never run a gas tank to empty is because the fuel pump is a small electric motor that is cooled by the gasoline, which acts as a heatsink. Another is because there is sediment at the bottom of the tank. I'm sure there are more reasons that I haven't heard about.

That said, it's a free country, and you probably have a don't tread on me sticker somewhere on your RAV4, so you are welcome to run your tank as empty as you want. :D
No, I don't have a "don't tread on me" sticker. I don't run my cars until they run out of gas. To me this is a common sense thing that most people don't get. They can't seem to think in terms of common sense anymore. I have a 2009 Camry hybrid and I have just about 2 1/2 gallons left when it says 40 miles to empty. Most of the time I fill up at 1/2 to 3/4 empty. Although I don't push it often, but sometimes there are exceptions when I know that I can get 25 to 35 cents per gallon better 30 to 75 miles away (From the Memphis area) and just wait until I need to go there. I understand the empty light and I like it.

But on the Rav4 Hybrid, it seems to be set with 4.5 gallons left when it show "empty" or the light comes on. That is ridiculous IMO. Makes my wife spend the higher priced 25 to 35 cents a gallon for local when she could go 35 miles from our house for the cheaper gas (Shell, Exon, or Sams Club) - but she won't because she thinks like you do "I'm running out of gas, I'm running out of gas!" . . . and the reality of it is that she has 130 miles of gas left in the tank at normal driving speeds (70 mph) and all she needs to do is go 35 miles.

Most of the time, she or I fill it up at 1/2 to 3/4 empty, but sometimes distance travel makes it necessary to get back home before re-filling and getting to the cheaper gas.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think these are good reasons to not complain about the large reserve. Besides, trust that it's set that way for a reason. Saving a few cents a gallon is not worth the potential damage to the car - assuming you plan to keep the car 10+ years, like I do.
... I rend to wait until I have 20 miles or less or car reported estimated range before refueling.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Agreed. If a gauge is 30% off, it's not much of a gauge. May as well just have an IDIOT light that indicates "100 miles till I'm really empty".

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,087 Posts

The sediment at the bottom of the tank causing problems when the fuel gets low is a wives tale. The pick up for the fuel is always at the bottom of the tank so it wouldn't matter. If you add fuel to an empty tank or drive down a rough road with low fuel, hit the brakes, etc you are stirring up sediment if any is in the tank. My RAV4 is a 99 and I opened the fuel tanks up to change the sock and when I looked inside expecting sediment, there wasn't any, the fuel sock was pretty clean too, and it was the first time it had ever been opened up. Now, I admit every 6 months I run a bottle of Sea Foam through the tank to keep it dry but Sea Foam wouldn't do anything for sediment.

And as far as political statements go this is not the forum for it, here we have people from all over the world helping each other and sharing their experiences and no one cares about your silly politics.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm sorry for reviving the old post, but wanted to get some additional details.

I have a RAV4 H 2017 XLE (since 2017). I never really paid attention to the amount of gas I usually refill. I remembered the number 720 kms of range after full refill and it was like this for some time. Just recently started noticing that the range is now 630kms instead of 720kms (I always use Costco gas 91). I decided to start checking how many liters I could get while refilling. The max number of liters I got was 45L which is 11L lower than the actual capacity.

Is it normal range and the amount of liters ?

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not sure about the range but stop wasting money on 91 octane. It is in no way better to your engine than 87 regular (I assume US and Canada have the same metric for octane number?). You will save about 5000 $cad over the life of the car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you were like me that came from a 2003 Chevy Blazer, I am thankful for what I have. The Blazer had a 18 gal. tank. You hardly could get to 250 miles before you would get the I am running out of gas fear. If I were to do straight highway driving, I think I could about get it to 300 miles. I could at least be going well over 300 miles on the RAV4 hybrid. The one thing I had to get used to is that you don't get more range when you do straight highway driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Advertising said I get over 400 miles with my tank. Meter only shows I can get 370 max with my tank before requiring a refill. Sounds like our concerns should be grouped with the 2019 hybrid concerns.

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
119 Posts
@darula8; The fuel gauge/calculator in my 2018 R4H Limited does seem overly conservative.

With a full tank, it estimates 370-400 miles depending on the average mpg of my previous tank, and adjusting on the fly. As I drive, the "miles until refill" count tracks well with the actual consumption rate and mileage. (I get 30-32 mpg consistently with the types of driving I do.)

But... When the gauge reads "Empty", there's at least another gallon (so 30+ miles) in the tank. That fuel is apparently not included in the "miles until refill" calculation at all. I haven't yet driven to the out-of-gas point, but I have exceeded the "Empty" point by over 25 miles without worrying.

I easily get 400 miles on a tank, regardless of what the gauge/nanny reminder says. So the advertising would reflect my real-world experience correctly. YMMV 😅

1 - 20 of 20 Posts