Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You could call it MDX-junior, but it looks different enough to make its own mark and still have an Acura family resemblance.

Autoblog -- Detroit Auto Show: Honda unveils Acura RDX prototype

Looks very sharp, dare I say gorgeous, and nowhere near as visually polarizing as the Mazda CX-7, though I'm still slightly iffy on the tail at certain angles and that humungous knob (below the NAV system!) in the center of the dash console. :?

Quite surprised at the choice of a turbocharged inline-four (especially coming on the virtual press release coat tails of the Mazda, but that may just be poor timing), because I would expect Acura to go the V6 route with even their smaller luxury SUV. Perhaps this foreshadows the future of the CR-V and Honda won't slip a V6 into this size class.

So, yes, the RDX makes it onto my consideration list again, at least until I see the pricetag... because I fully expect it to start in the high $20k's and reach over $35k topped out...

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nouse4aname said:
Holy crap. Honda's fielding a turbo?

Yep, it's a first for Acura too... Gotta love those marketing-types... gotta milk as many words as possible for "it's a turbo!" :D

"RDX features an all-new 2.3-liter i-VTEC(R) four-cylinder turbocharged engine that generates 240 horsepower and 260 lbs-ft of torque. This is the first application of forced induction technology in Acura history. The revolutionary i-VTEC Turbo technology uses a variable flow turbocharger, which is exclusive to the RDX, and provides dramatic performance benefits while maintaining excellent fuel efficiency."

RDX press release

J

·
0 Posts
Definately a good design.... if the price is right, this may as well become my next. Although I do mind that is not even 50% Japanese, most likely prices in the upper 30k USD for a 4 cylinder, and its a HONDA!

But the design is just "perfect" , especially like the rims!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
flyingn said:
looks nice but still like the RAV better.. :) Im sure the price is gonna be wayyyy higher too..

yup, did some checking, Its going to start in the MID 30's.. About 10k MORE then the RAV. No thanks..
Noo... This thing can't start in the mid thirties... Big brother MDX starts at $37,740 -- tops out at $44,815 from the factory and comes with a 3.5L V6...

As I said before, for the RDX, I'm expecting high 20's as a base and optioned out to just skirt the MDX's baseline.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's all still really just speculation... one guy's source says "mid 30's" to start and another says 28k.

Bottom line, is that at a mid 30's starting point, it's uncomfortably close to the base price of an MDX and 10k more than the base price of a CX-7. That just does not seem like a sound business model to me.

To survive the segment and properly place itself well against the competition, it would have to straddle the price gap between the Mazda and the BMW -- there's really no other way.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Tony you are forgetting that Acura is a premium brand. they compete with other Premiums like BMW, MB, Lexus, Infinity etc. NOT Toyota. Toyota and Honda and nissan are non premiums and compete with each other.

karrock said:
It's all still really just speculation... one guy's source says "mid 30's" to start and another says 28k.

Bottom line, is that at a mid 30's starting point, it's uncomfortably close to the base price of an MDX and 10k more than the base price of a CX-7. That just does not seem like a sound business model to me.

To survive the segment and properly place itself well against the competition, it would have to straddle the price gap between the Mazda and the BMW -- there's really no other way.

J

·
0 Posts
^
you beat me to it.....

Well, I think that Acura's introduction of the RDX was meant to target the smaller BMW suv.

As for the pricing, the current MDX only comes in 2 models, with or without navigation. Everything is standard, with navi comes out to be 45k USD. So its very very possible that it'll fall into the mid 30k to upper 30k slot.

Acura pretty much neglects such cars like the new mazda, rav4, and any car that is around the same size, because it competes as a luxery suv.

We can't really compare an Lexus RX330 with a Nissan Murano... even they maybe about the same size.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
flyingn said:
Tony you are forgetting that Acura is a premium brand. they compete with other Premiums like BMW, MB, Lexus, Infinity etc. NOT Toyota. Toyota and Honda and nissan are non premiums and compete with each other.
I know who Acura is... so other than the original title of this thread, where did I compare the RDX to a Toyota? Of course, the comparisons will be drawn -- by both buyers looking for a new vehicle and the automotive press. Luxury accoutrements aside (or the RAV4's lack of), what will inevitably tie the RAV4 and RDX together will be their relative sizes, the RAV4's 269HP V6 and the RDX's 240HP turbocharged I-4.

Previously, I specifically mentioned Acura's larger MDX SUV, which runs $37k-$44k from factory base MSRP to top options (and I hope you'll note, is only a $7k spread from bottom to top, not $10k). Once again, if the smaller, less powerful RDX (based on the next gen CR-V platform, mind you) is introduced from $35k to $45k, it prices itself completely all over the price range of its larger, more powerful sibling. What's the point in that? Given nearly the same prices, who's going to spring for a smaller vehicle that's just a little fresher off the drafting table? The MDX prices I quote are for the 2006 and it is not due for a new model revamp until 2007 or 2008.

I would compare the RDX and MDX directly to the TSX and TL. They're both four-door luxury sports sedans, only the TSX is slightly smaller than the V6-powered TL, comes equipped only with a 4-cylinder and has a correspondingly lower base MSRP at $27.9k vs. $33.3k -- the TSX tops out from the factory at $31k and the TL at $36k. Note that a fully optioned TSX (which is really just the addition of a navigation system) doesn't step on the TL's base price.

Thinking things out, add about a thousand $$ for attaching a larger SUV body and you get just under $29k for a base front-wheel drive model. Since the RDX can also come in turbo and AWD (yes the "prototype" at the auto show was very likely a thinly disguised top of the line model), it of course raises the option price range a couple notches -- add a factory navigation system and you'll likely find an additional $5k-$6k premium for the priviledge of a top end factory model.

Am I making sense yet?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts