Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They both weighed about 4000 lbs ( 500 more than the Rav 4wd) and had about 250 hp (vs RAv 4 V-6 269). The 0-60 times and the 1/4 mile times were about a second slower and the mpg observed(mazda) and projected (acura) will end up being about 6-8 mpg less( based on my experience of 22mpg in town, 2wd V-6, they are both AWD)My Hyway mileage has been 24 mpg, which matches their EPA rated. They seem to like the Mazda more than the Rav4 because the handling is much better than any CUV they have previoulsly tested.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
And as they are both turbo's you get to enjoy putting 91 octane gas in them.....

CUV's are not designed to be sports cars.

Some people just like to think they are.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Verdict: One of the best examples of an emerging genre
They loved the "zoom zoom" factor. Car and Driver always leans to the sportier vehicle in any segment. Also they did not have the Acura long enough to have anything other than an impression.
For those of you that think I have gone over to the dark side; My vehicle is faster, gets better mileage, and is a Toyota :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
FYI, curb weight of RAV4 4WD is 3660, Mazda CX7 AWD is 3920. Difference is 260 lbs, not 500.

I have delayed my purchase for two years - let the bugs, flaws, pricing, and competition for all these new CUV models settle before buying.

I'm hoping for an improved Lexus based on the new RAV4 chassis, Infiniti CX35, Subaru Outback (if they update the drivetrain), new version of the Nissan Murano, or maybe a Ralliart version of the new Mitsubishi Outlander.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What I don't understand is why Accura even bothers with the RDX and the little turbo 4 banger when Toyota has the real thing with better mileage! Don't you want to compete against this with your honda brand and then top it up with your accura brand?

Honda is in trouble when the RDX is already a the "better" CR-V!! :roll:

·
Registered
264 Posts
The car mags will undoubtedly come out with a "Crossover SUVs" comparo soon! Should be interesting! :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was eyeballin' the CX-7 before I got my RAV and I was considering it when I thought they might not find my RAV the way I wanted it. I don't like turbos at all. The dash looked like a spaceship and it looks like that was not what the put in the production model so that was good. It seems smaller, but I guess it isn't. But it would have been a second or third choice behind the RAV. I have not second guessed my RAV at all. 8)

B

·
0 Posts
sooperedd said:
I was eyeballin' the CX-7 before I got my RAV...
Same here. I really liked the styling of the CX7 and this was confirmed when I saw one fot the first time on the road today. But the thought of a four banger turbo was off-putting. My wifes's VW Gti 1.8 turbo is harsher and uses more (91 premium) fuel than the RAV.

No thanks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Baron G said:
My wifes's VW Gti 1.8 turbo is harsher and uses more (91 premium) fuel than the RAV.

No thanks.
C&D (which is pretty rough on test vehicles) got an observed 14 MPG with the CX-7 :shock:

Turbo's are great for power, but if you're constantly in the boost, your fuel economy will definitely suffer.

DJ

R

·
0 Posts
Raffor said:
What I don't understand is why Accura even bothers with the RDX and the little turbo 4 banger when Toyota has the real thing with better mileage! :
I got to see the Acura RDX today at the Honda Homecoming in Marysville OH. They also had an engine on display. It's very compact with a big intercooler attached directly to the top of the engine.

It is a very fancy good looking vehicle (as you would expect from the upscale Acura line) but is smaller than I expected. The rear cargo area looked smaller than the RAV4 and when you pick up the floor panel there is only a narrow width spare tire where the RAV4 has storage. You pay dearly for not hanging the spare off the rear door. It was wearing 18 inch wheels. Should be very interesting to see the new CRV!

I toured the Honda Civic plant. They make the Element on the same lines. I think CRVs will come off this line soon but none were to be seen. I'm sure we would not have been allowed to tour if there were! Honda is very secretive.

·
Registered
132 Posts
dj06482 said:
C&D (which is pretty rough on test vehicles) got an observed 14 MPG with the CX-7 :shock:

Turbo's are great for power, but if you're constantly in the boost, your fuel economy will definitely suffer.

DJ
In the interest of fairness, testing the Rav4 V6 during what they describe as 'hard mountain driving', C&D's observed mileage was 16 mpg. This equates with with my observed mileage for city driving.

C&D really liked the Rav, they close their article by calling it 'marvelous'. But fact is that the Rav4 is more of a mainstream vehicle, while the CX-7 is something a little different. Not only does it have beautiful lines, but with it's superior handling for this segment it is more of a combination of sports car and SUV, thus making it more of a drivers/enthusiasts car. And regarding C&D, talk about playing to your crowd, this is like throwing meat to the lions.

S

·
0 Posts
bubbalynch said:
C&D really liked the Rav, they close their article by calling it 'marvelous'. But fact is that the Rav4 is more of a mainstream vehicle, while the CX-7 is something a little different. Not only does it have beautiful lines, but with it's superior handling for this segment it is more of a combination of sports car and SUV, thus making it more of a drivers/enthusiasts car.
yes, Rav4 is an Toyota, so it will always be an mainstream vehicle. However, it also handles beautifully, simply loves the curves, and it is a lot faster than CX7. So CX7 is different, but Rav4 aint some boring old man's suv, far from that.

I have a lot of fun throwing my Rav4 into the corners, and feeling how AWD reacts to pull you out of every corner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts