Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's a question a friend of mine came up with today:
When the ACC slows the car down automatically, do the brakes lights come on? How exactly does it slow the car down? i.e. let's the car coast, applies brakes?

·
Registered
68 Posts
It will use the brakes if necessary. But I think it sets a limit at 50% braking power, and the system drops out when you get down to around 25 mph.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what about the brake light?

It will use the brakes if necessary. But I think it sets a limit at 50% braking power, and the system drops out when you get down to around 25 mph.

·
Registered
20 Posts
it does use the brakes, I use it in the car pool lane and when traffic hits, the car brakes, very cool. Though you do have a good question if the brake light comes on. I would assume so, or else it would be dangerous.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah, that's my point about the brake light. I may have to get my friend to follow me on a highway drive and we'll check on it. Anyone else have an idea?

it does use the brakes, I use it in the car pool lane and when traffic hits, the car brakes, very cool. Though you do have a good question if the brake light comes on. I would assume so, or else it would be dangerous.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yah, that's my point about the brake light. I may have to get my friend to follow me on a highway drive and we'll check on it. Anyone else have an idea?
I didn't want to say for sure that the brake lights turn on, since of course you have to be behind the car to see them. But it would be ludicrous if they did not turn on. Easy lawsuit against Toyota.

I didn't get rear-ended yet, so all is well so far. :D

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
According to the manual, brake lights come on if the pre-colision system is activated. There should be some overlap between those 2 systems, but I wouldn't expect the brakes lights to come on in every case.

·
Registered
68 Posts
According to the manual, brake lights come on if the pre-colision system is activated. There should be some overlap between those 2 systems, but I wouldn't expect the brakes lights to come on in every case.
If it's just reducing the power, or charging the battery lightly, I would think the brake lights would not turn on. Same thing as just lifting your foot off the "gas" pedal.

On my Prius I used to sometimes set the cruise control at 25mph, then drive faster than that, using the gas pedal. When I would lift my foot off the gas to slow down, the battery would recharge at maximum without applying the brakes at all. Probably not the safest thing to do, but I imagined it might increase the mpg slightly for areas that require a lot of speeding up and slowing down.

I noticed on the RAV4 the lowest cruise control set point is 28mph. Slight bummer for me since I like to use it all the time, even in the 25 zone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does the car stop completely if traffic comes to complete stop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The car disengages DRCC when you hit 28mph approximately, you will hear a small sound/beep alerting you, but I have not tested if the car will stop since you have PCS. It "should stop and avoid the accident but I have not tested it. I would like to but hard to test :)

Did someone test if PCS is activated and therefore the car is stopped after (and even though) DRCC is disengaged?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The car disengages DRCC when you hit 28mph approximately, you will hear a small sound/beep alerting you, but I have not tested if the car will stop since you have PCS. It "should stop and avoid the accident but I have not tested it. I would like to but hard to test :)

Did someone test if PCS is activated and therefore the car is stopped after (and even though) DRCC is disengaged?

It is the one feature that no one wanted to test out. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I heard the beep around 28 mph or so as all the cars in front of me had stopped at a red light with CC set around 55. It actually felt like the car jumped forward as cc disengaged and I slammed brakes at that point with a few feet to spare. I guess I'll wait til someone has the unfortunate circumstance to see if PCS work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
From my reading of the RAV4 Manuals, PCS should be working at all times unless it is turned off ("on" is the default setting when starting the vehicle). However, I was driving the interstate behind a small van that blocked my view of the traffic ahead. Probably too close and to fast. Suddenly the van darted to the left to enter the service lane (or whatever it is called) and locked up its brakes. Imagine my surprise to see I was now rushing towards stopped traffic only a short (really short) distance ahead. If PCS was working it was a bit slow, because my reaction time (even at my advancing age) beat it and I locked up the brakes (yes--locked them up with no hint of traction control pumping) to come to a stop within a foot or so of the vehicle at the end of the stopped traffic. Fortunately, the fellow behind me (or his PCS) was as alert as I and all was well. So, be careful out there: The safety systems are great, but not yet as safe as an on-task driver!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did some experiments with the brake light function and ACC. If you are just slowing down and the power meter is in the middle of the charge area the lights do not come on, once you exceed this point in braking the brake lights do come on.

ACC will not stop you in traffic, once you drop below 25 mph the system releases and beeps at you as a warning.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I just did some experiments with the brake light function and ACC. If you are just slowing down and the power meter is in the middle of the charge area the lights do not come on, once you exceed this point in braking the brake lights do come on.
Essentially, the lights come on when friction braking is applied.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Why doesn't anyone try to stand up a piece of cardboard about 3 feet high and test all these systems out?

Worst thing you run over and ruin a piece of cardboard. :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
My son was playing around with the DRCC and also noted it cuts out about 28 mph. I think almost all cruise control systems disengage at city street speeds. I enjoyed it on our recent all-day drives, especially after I started noticing that I was following cars that were going just slightly slower than I was. If the brakes aren't applied, it's easy to do.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Why doesn't anyone try to stand up a piece of cardboard about 3 feet high and test all these systems out?

Worst thing you run over and ruin a piece of cardboard. :D
You can already check youtube videos out for that.

You also can scratch the bumper. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried the cardboard test. The car blasted right through without slowing down. I then put the car in ACC and I had to swerve at the last second to avoid hitting the cardboard again. So, my Myth Buster test was a fail. For some reason the car didn't see the cardboard at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts