Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried adding an aftermarket bluetooth kit to their RAV4? I would like one that displays the incoming number, and mutes the stereo when a call comes in. If it can voice dial, that would be great, too! Does such a thing exist?

--DT

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't seen a standalone BT unit that does what you want. Your best bet would probably be to go with a BT enabled aftermarket stereo. Alpine has a BT accessory that plugs in to some of their stereos and Pioneer has a BT headunit. The Pioneer unit looks to be the most integrated but it's pricy.

There are BT speakerphones that will read out the phone number but won't have any control over the stereo.....

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to go the route of replacing my whole head unit (even though I would like iPod and sat radio integrated...it's just too much, and I can't bring myself to destroy the nice clean dash), so I suppose I'll have to settle for a unit that doesn't adjust the audio. Any suggestions?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parrot makes a good one, as does Motorola. Both are about 200 dollars, just do a google search on Parrot Bluetooth and you will see all the different options.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
drbourassa said:
Parrot makes a good one, as does Motorola. Both are about 200 dollars, just do a google search on Parrot Bluetooth and you will see all the different options.
Thanks for the advice. I looked into the Parrot unit, and think that is the one for me. I spoke to tech support, and they told me that in order for the "mute on call" feature to work, the car stereo has to have a mute input. Does anyone know if the JBL head unit has the mute input? He said many recent cars do have it.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the steering-wheel Bluetooth option was supposed to be available in July... Or did Toyota decide to wait for the 2007 to come along...? Hmmm..... :?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bluetooth Steering Wheel

I saw the RAV4 bluetooth steering wheel at the following address:

http://www.toyota.co.uk/

It's a dealer installed option I believe. Very nice. Look at the navigation system too. I hope this becomes available in North America.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
BLUETOOTH IN ?

Karrock, another site that lists RAV4 2006 options said August for bluetooth. I guess that woudl be a 2007 or so. Who knows with Mr. Toyota.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am a RAV owner and run http://www.parrotkits.com

For non-JBL stereos on any year RAV - you would use the QCToy-1 adapter for plug and play install.

On the JBL it is a little trickier. There is a mute wire - usually pin F7 (see this link on the 4Runner site - http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5227
Then, for audio you can connect up an external speaker or better yet, use their mute switching relay to tap into an exisiting speaker such as the passenger door speaker or dash speaker if you have one. Howard

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RAVenous said:
I am a RAV owner and run http://www.parrotkits.com

For non-JBL stereos on any year RAV - you would use the QCToy-1 adapter for plug and play install.

On the JBL it is a little trickier. There is a mute wire - usually pin F7 (see this link on the 4Runner site - http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5227
Then, for audio you can connect up an external speaker or better yet, use their mute switching relay to tap into an exisiting speaker such as the passenger door speaker or dash speaker if you have one. Howard
Hi RAVenous (cool name!). I have a parrot bluetooth kit (CK3100) already, but didn't get around to installing it yet. I have a JBL Sport. What is the recommended install procedure? Do I need to get a harness, or does the kit come with one? I would love to avoid using an external speaker!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is no harness that I know of that is being made for easy JBL plug n play install. Too bad they use different connectors than the standard Toyota connector. Anyway - you will need to connect up the yellow mute wire to pin F7 and connect up ground, 12V Batt and 12V ignition (switched) which is all available at the radio.

Instead of using an external speaker you can use the relay switching apparatus of the 3100 mute dongle to utilize existing RAV speakers. Does the new RAV with JBL have a center dash speaker? That would be ideal and I can give you easy instructions. If not, you will have to find where the 2 front door speakers connect to the JBL amp. Where is the JBL amp by the way? Wish I knew more about the new RAV :oops:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Those who buy a GPS toy such as garmin nuvi 360/ streetpiolit c550 can link cell phone, bluetooth GPS and car speakers together.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys.. .new owner here... does the non JBL stereo (base 06 model) have a mute option? I cant get it confirmed anywhere..

DTPhoneHome - nice flag :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are using a Parrot bluetooth kit you don't need a mute pin since the Parrot switches the speakers to the Parrot kit - thereby effectively creating a mute. Also, for those with JBL radio, there is now a Parrot adapter for those vehicles too - see the 2nd harness down at www.parrotkits.com/donotcut.html

But to answer your question specifically, there is a mute pin on most if not all of the 2003+ non-JBL radios. It is on the 20 pin socket which usually doesn't have a plug inserted. So you would have to fashion a female pin to attach to it. Before trying it, put a test light on it to ground and make sure the radio mutes (a test light is any small 12v incandescent bulb). The test light prevents a short if you accidentally touch a pin with voltage on it.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Here's the pic.. unless thats just a stock photo.

At any rate - I didnt know you sold the actual harnesses. Cant reasonably ask for you to review a potentially competing product.

Its just a bit much for me to drop $60 on a harness (with shipping) when the kit itself costs $99.

Uri

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It does look promising and the price is great on that harness. Good find.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts