Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After camping over the weekend I learned the LE doesn’t have a power outlet in the cargo area (another oversight when purchasing lol) and I had to run an extension to from the back seat to my cooler/fridge.

Has anyone added a 12v outlet to their LE? There is sport for it in the molding where it would be located in a higher trim model but I’m not sure where to wire it into.

I appreciate any help! Other than that, the LE was great on the camping trip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, I have done this. The Australian GX model is the same. You can easily wire it via an in-line fuse to the battery directly below. Make sure to use a panel-mount socket that leaves plenty of space to the car body metal behind (there is enough room). Also be aware that this outlet will be live even with the car turned off. This can be useful with an in-line low voltage cut-off (eg while camping). But it also risks a flat starter battery which could be a big problem. I have put a reminder label above mine: "Remove plug when vehicle is turned off".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I have done this. The Australian GX model is the same. You can easily wire it via an in-line fuse to the battery directly below. Make sure to use a panel-mount socket that leaves plenty of space to the car body metal behind (there is enough room). Also be aware that this outlet will be live even with the car turned off. This can be useful with an in-line low voltage cut-off (eg while camping). But it also risks a flat starter battery which could be a big problem. I have put a reminder label above mine: "Remove plug when vehicle is turned off".
Thanks for this! I was hoping for an option the didn’t tap directly to the battery, since I know I’ll totally forget to unplug something at some point lol. Great idea to add a large label above the outlet!

Will considering adding before my next camping trip!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just inboard from the 12v battery (under the luggage compartment floor cover) is a small fuse compartment with 8 low-profile blade fuses and a 40A fusible link. In my vehicle, the 4 most inboard blade fuses are ignition-switched. Check in your own vehicle with a meter. If you want a switched outlet, I guess you could use a piggy-bank 10A fuse connector into one of the existing switched 10A fuse sockets. You probably then have to leave that fuse cover off.

I have not tried this myself, as I decided to use a 10A-rated inline (cigarette-lighter plug/socket) low-voltage cut-off to ensure that the battery is not run down too far. In hindsight, the cut-off voltage of the unit I found is probably too low to avoid damage to the stock rav4 starter battery, and a deep-cycle battery would be better (if only I could find some information on the 12v charging profile set in the gen5 rav4 hybrid).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just inboard from the 12v battery (under the luggage compartment floor cover) is a small fuse compartment with 8 low-profile blade fuses and a 40A fusible link. In my vehicle, the 4 most inboard blade fuses are ignition-switched. Check in your own vehicle with a meter. If you want a switched outlet, I guess you could use a piggy-bank 10A fuse connector into one of the existing switched 10A fuse sockets. You probably then have to leave that fuse cover off.
Thanks so much for this, I was investigating this exact issue yesterday and I thought I'd add a couple photos of this panel. I was hoping that there would be a wiring harness/connector switched by the ignition there since this is an option on other trim levels but I guess the piggy back fuse connector is the way to go.

And by any chance does anyone know the part number of the outlet made to fill this hole? It would be nice to make it clean and not have to punch anything:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to find the panel piece part number (Accessory Panel - Toyota (64714-0R060-C0) but that does not include the outlet itself. Attached is a screenshot of all the different panel types:

I hope this helps and what you were looking for.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Anyone know where the power outlet would
be wired to on the trims that come with it? Would ideally want a source that can support a 15A fuse.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended up punching out the existing panel, and since Amazon sold me a pair, I put them both in. I put a fuse tap on one of the switched fuses just below. These ones actually light up which is helpful at night.
Any chance of providing a bit more detail? This is exactly what I am looking to do but have little experience with fuses/wiring etc.

Thanks for the updates and photos. Looks great!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any chance of providing a bit more detail? This is exactly what I am looking to do but have little experience with fuses/wiring etc.
I would say if you're not comfortable with electrical wiring you should hire someone to do it. Car stereo install places do this kind of thing every day. That said here's the back of the outlet panel:

And here's the fuse tap and ground point. You'll need to be able to meter out to get the fuse tap oriented correctly or else you could blow a fuse for a critical system (most of the fuses there are for engine computers, etc). There is enough room for the little fuse box cover main latch to engage (but not the hook side) but it seems secure and I'm not doing a lot of off road driving or anything).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Something else to consider, especially if you plan to draw close to the 10A limit from that socket, is whether the wiring is of sufficient size to carry that current without potentially dangerous heating or voltage drop. I am not convinced that the wires on all rav4 circuits with 10A fuses are thick enough for a sustained 10A (especially of you add a piggy-back 10A fuse, so 20A might flow through the wiring before a fuse blew).

If you use a 2m (return) 10A-fused circuit direct from the battery to the luggage compartment power outlet, it should be in at least 1.5mm2 (AWG 16) wire to carry 10A with 2% voltage drop. All the connections need to be well-made with connectors capable of handling this current to avoid potentially dangerous heating.

If you are concerned that the equipment you connect might flatten the 12v battery when the vehicle is not on, there is room in there for a high-quality battery protector (like the Victron device in the picture) that will cut off the circuit at a voltage that you set. It uses very little power (9 – 16 mW). Pay no attention that I am also experimenting with a LiFePO4 battery for added useful deep-cycle life (that is another story).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts