Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to listen to music in my car on volume levels where I can feel the bass properly. Even with the upgraded JBL stereo in my new Rav4 Hybrid I'm far from happy with the pressure in the bass. Therefore I've considered adding a JBL 12" active subwoofer. Installation as far as powering the thing seems easier than usual as 12V battery actually is placed in the trunk area on the hybrid. But when it comes to input signal: what would be a preferred point for tapping into the car JBL system? -To the 10" sub already installed in the trunk area (high level) or is there any more convenient amplifier low level RCA connectors available? I think the question here is...what would be the easiest from access point of view. It surely seems like the built-in 10" sub is really cumbersome to access. It is installed into the one big panel on the right, need to dismount half of the trunk(?). Is it possibe to access any loudspeaker/lowlevel wires from somewhere else. -To tap in to that is.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
There must be an amp for the sub. If you find that, tap the input side. If it is inside the audio head, I would not try to tap that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @jrohland. I've now spotted a spec of the actual amp for the JBL system in RAV4 (not position, just specs) and it seems that input side is not the two std RCA connectors I expected. The input consists of several wires. Hmm...leans towards tapping the sub high level speaker wires. So now I just need to get my head around how to access those wires. I hope it is possible to get in through the actual speaker cover grill. Anyone that has done similar?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks @jrohland. I've now spotted a spec of the actual amp for the JBL system in RAV4 (not position, just specs) and it seems that input side is not the two std RCA connectors I expected. The input consists of several wires. Hmm...leans towards tapping the sub high level speaker wires. So now I just need to get my head around how to access those wires. I hope it is possible to get in through the actual speaker cover grill. Anyone that has done similar?

According to JBL / Toyota site, a DSP amp is used on this premium JBL and it is next to the subwoofer. It seems the setup of the amp has not been optimized for sub bass output. If you are going to take the side trunk panel out to check the wiring, you should be able to see the amp. In fact, I would really like to know if the amp has any knob or dial pot for output adjustment to the sub unit. If there are, we could try to play its setting to improve sub output.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In fact, I would really like to know if the amp has any knob or dial pot for output adjustment to the sub unit.
You and me both...and a bunch of other people, it seems.
Somebody please locate the amp and enlighten us all on whether there are any adjustments. Unfortunately, my hopes are not very high.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You and me both...and a bunch of other people, it seems.
Somebody please locate the amp and enlighten us all on whether there are any adjustments. Unfortunately, my hopes are not very high.

@sc540i @nicmo I'll let you both know when I dismount the cover.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't think my rear door can handle any more bass from my JBL system. The back door vibrates so much that when i look in my rear view mirror everything looks fuzzy lol. One of these days I fully expect my window to shatter, and I am not really listening to it that loud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts