Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The 2015 RAV4 Limited comes with a "SofTex®-covered sliding center armrest with console storage box." Is it possible to buy those parts (or perhaps just the cover/sliding pieces) and install on the 2015 LE model?

·
Registered
424 Posts
If I were you, I wouldn't waste my money. (I have a '15 Limited.) The sliding part only goes forward about two inches, maybe three. Not really all that much. And, often, it it too easy to slide forward. At times, I've exited the car, and had to reach back in to grab something off the passenger seat. I'll reach in and brace my right hand on the console to grab something with the left hand. More times than not, the slide goes forward.

Another disadvantage is that if you have a tall soda in the rear cup holder, the console top interferes with it when in the forward position. Short cups and bottles, no problem, but if you have something tall with a straw sticking out, it will contact the console lid in the forward position. It will also be more difficult to pick up the cup.

The storage bin under is the same. At least on the '15 model, there is no extra storage in the lid. I think on the '16 model, the lid has a small storage compartment for flat stuff. Not so on the '15.

One thing I would pay for is a new console top that is about one inch higher. As is, it is just a tad too short to rest my arm on comfortably.

p.s. If you really want to purchase the parts, I'm sure the dealer can get them. Probably a special order, but they should be available. The other option is to check a wreaking yard.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Look up Toyota of Dallas if you want to order OEM parts online. I've never had a problem when I ordered parts from them.

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
The sliding feature was a PITA!! I anchored mine in the normal position so it can't move.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ditto, Mine slid back and forth when ever I leaned on it to move my butt in the seat. Secured it with a screw and small wire clamp, there is a thread with pictures a year or so back. Don't miss the sliding feature.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. It's unfortunate that the sliding armrest is of low quality. The Hyundai Elantra comes with one, even the most basic model, and it works great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to follow up on this...My mom just got a 2016 XLE Hybrid Rav4. She loves it, but one of the things she was hoping for was a good armrest (she does a lot of long trips). She has the non-sliding armrest, and it's just short of being useful for her.

It sounds like a lot of people aren't fans of the armrest, but I was able to get ahold of a sliding armrest and thought I might try surprising her for Mother's Day...However, it looks like the entire center console might be different between the two versions; the sliding armrest looks to have a completely different mounting area compared to the standard one.

I'm assuming nobody else has done this swap or know if it's even possible? Or am I missing something obvious? I kinda assumed the components would be relatively swappable for manufacturing reasons, but it doesn't look that way. can post some pics tomorrow when I get access to a computer (can't seem to attach them via my phone here).

Thanks-
Mike

I just added the pictures to my personal photo album

1 - 9 of 9 Posts