Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Got my kit a couple of weeks ago and I finally got some free time to play with it.

This is what it looks like (Great idea :wink: don't ya think? :lol: )

I don't like the gap between the top bolt and pipe...

Solution... a couple of 2 1/2 in u-bolts from Home Depot (1 on each side will probably do. I'm using 2 .)

You only need the plates. Modify them like so... (They'll get hot, so be careful)

Perfect!

Those plates are 3/4" wide and you insert them thru the existing hole of the frame. Not only will this fill the gap, but it makes for a flush and stronger fit.

If it stops raining I'll do tihe actual install. Later.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hey Sig, nice picts showing us the Addco install kit. :D How are you going to get the plates that you modified inside of the RAV's frame rail where the U-Bolt will pass through it?

Please show us your finished product, I'm curious to see how it turns out! :D I keep telling myself to get one already and install it, soon; very soon! :lol:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Derek, Guys here's how I installed it...

Stack the modified plates like this:

Thread fishing line thru each set:

Insert the plates thru the existing hole:
(You'll have to widen the hole about 1 mm. I used a rotary tool and grinding stone.)

Plates inserted:
(The fishing line is there to help you align things and incase you push the plates in too far, you can pull them into position)

Bolt inserted:
(Since I had to widen the existing hole, I sprayed some primer first.)

You should know what to do from there...

What youll need to buy for the L bracket that attaches to the shock:
(10 mm, 1.25 X 30 mm long bolts and fender washers (four in each side). I bought them at Auto Zone. These bolts are grade 10.8 or something like that.)

Install completed:
(Lube is not included in the kit. You can buy some or simply use teflon tape or anti-seize. Anti-seize seems too messy to me so I used teflon tape.)

I took a quick drive around the block... WOOOH HOO! :lol:

Sig 8)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Thanks for enlightening me on that, I was wondering how the plates would go into the frame rail. Now I am definitely ordering the anti-roll bars; the kit looks well planned and executed! Too bad they don't include the lube and shock mount bolts though, that would make the kit complete. :D Thanks again for posting up those picts, very valuable info. for those planning to do this in the future!

R

·
0 Posts
hope you got it figured out. you put the u bolt thru the frame, then put the square tube on the u bolt. nuts are close enough to end of tube so they are easy to tighten.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ok got mine done too! 8)

Now I took some pics, but I didn't have my camera for the install. :cry:

But I can expain it pretty well.

Ok. Now I followed Sig with the washers and bolts for the attachment to the shocks. However, I left them loose for ease of fitment for the bar.
The end links I got from autozone. They were the ES 4 1/2 in. endlinks. Worked perfect. The addco ones were to short to make the bar parallel.

On the frame where the square mount is, there was a hole in the frame already. So I only needed one more. I measured over 7.5 mm from the center of that hole and drilled a 1/2 in. hole on both sides of the RAV.

Needed two spacer plates on top of the square tubing and one on the bottom as you can see in the third pic. Also lubed the bushings on the bar with some left over ES bushings grease.

Then I put it all together, tightened the end links, the bushing mounts on the frame, then the shock bolts, just to make sure it all fit snug.

and DAMN! does it make a difference. I love it. Derek.... you got to do this! its great. Thanks everyone who contributed.

Sig, Dan at addco wanted some install pics, would you mind if I use some of yours as well as my own, so he can put together a proper install kit?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thank you very much. The trick is the end links. They were a #@%. But the bar is parallel like it is supposed to be. Had to return the end links 3 times to get the right length. :shock:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sig, Dan at addco wanted some install pics, would you mind if I use some of yours as well as my own, so he can put together a proper install kit?
Go right ahead! I tried to send him the link of this topic but got an error.

To anyone thinking about getting this bar, stop thinking and buy it already!

It does a great job in reducing / controlling the RAV’s body roll.

The car feels more sure footed and stable. I can drive thru curves faster and handle 360 on/off ramps with ease. Cutting people off… I mean, changing lanes is quicker and easier. :)

Other than the bar, my suspension is stock, so there’s still plenty of room for improvement. The bar alone hasn’t transformed my RAV into a go-cart, but it has made a huge improvement and made the car funner to drive.

After about a month, the install is holding up just fine.

Weighing cost vs reward, this mod was well worth it

Sig

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Now who is willing to install Addco's larger front anti-sway bar? :D

Yes, I will now order the rear bar once I receive the new funds that I am expecting in the near future. Also, I will wait to install the rear kit after installing the TRD lowering spring/Bilstein Sport shocks. After lowering the RAV by about 2", I may (or may not) need the lowering block in the kit. We'll see... :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
BTW, How does it handle now?
It handles great. :twisted: My god, it turns on a dime. I can't believe the difference that this bar makes. Now when the money starts flowing again, that front bar is sounding mighty tempting..... 8)

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
dnylrq said:
BTW, How does it handle now?
It handles great. :twisted: My god, it turns on a dime. I can't believe the difference that this bar makes. Now when the money starts flowing again, that front bar is sounding mighty tempting..... 8)
It won't get much better then that, in my opinion. If I were you, go for the shocks and springs. Then it really gets in Porshe territory. Just point and stab the throttle. :wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm all for great mods and not to knock your solution... but since you were willing to modify the frame hole by a mm you could have just made each hole come in 1/2mm and the U bracket would have fit flush against the frame. Cost = $0 and your not putting a piece of metal of an unknown quality or strength in the mix., then again if the company tested it that way I would have left it personally, who knows if the inner curves of the bends were desighned to cause the U bolt to flex outward as it was tightened to decrease any wiggle in the system, it sounds silly but I've seen crazyer things in designs.

Sorry been modding cars for a long time and hate to see someone over engineer a problem, no offense meant to you or your modifacation.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm all for keeping things simple but the idea of adding the plates where two fold. One to get rid of the gap, and two to spread the load over a larger area.

Simply going in 1/2mm would not cover the gap. You would have to go about 1/4" because of the round bolt. I ruled that out because the frame is very thin. IMHO, the least intrusion the better.

Sig

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
OK, the new installation kit just came in. Just in time for the Thanksgiving vacation weekend. I guess you guys know where I'm going to be Saturday morning. With all you guys permission. I'm taking copies of all the pictures so i can check just in case I run into some minor difficulty. all the wholes are made. It's a question of placing every thing back where is was. with the new Rear Bilstein Shocks, I hope that is won't rock like it use to. Tomorrow Thanksgiving I'll be painting the bar. Yep, RED again. :roll:. I don't know, but Red is like; "smelling Napalm in the morning, it smells like, like Victory." :p

PS I'll post pictures ASAP. If like you guys didn't know what it's going to look like. :roll:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm thinking it should clear the muffler. It might make life a little hellish to install but I'm sure you'll do ok. 8)

Let us know how it goes. I'll check tomorrow (in the snow) about how much clearance there is between the frame and bar for ya.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts