Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Same one I got dude. I posted in the thread under the General heading. Here is my question. Where is the end links?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same thing i wondered, they told me it bolted to the angle bracket on the shock, thats why they made that contraption to bet the bar low so its close to that bracket.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
For those of you who already have the Addco rear sway bar, I've studied the mounting diagram and looked under my RAV. From what I understand, you will have to drill 2 holes into the frame to feed the u-bolts that hold the bushing brackets?

Also, looking at the gauge of the frame, I am thinking that it is a bit on the thin side. :roll: Now I can see why Mensagero is thinking about beefing up that area with thicker material. :D

Mensagero, can I ask you a favor since you have your anti-roll bar off your RAV. What is the diameter of the hole at the end of the bars? Also, do you know the diameter of the bolt that is holding the lower shock brace in place? I need these dimensions so that I can order some heim joints/rod ends to make custom end links for the bar. :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this thing has turned into one giant ordeal.. buy the time you get all the correct parts, you could order one from oz....

·
Registered
650 Posts
Derek said:
For those of you who already have the Addco rear sway bar, I've studied the mounting diagram and looked under my RAV. From what I understand, you will have to drill 2 holes into the frame to feed the u-bolts that hold the bushing brackets?
Yes.

Derek said:
Also, looking at the gauge of the frame, I am thinking that it is a bit on the thin side. :roll: Now I can see why Mensagero is thinking about beefing up that area with thicker material. :D
I also took a look and it is thin! I wonder if a brace or bracket can be made that bolts on to the bumper bracket.

Derek said:
Mensagero, can I ask you a favor since you have your anti-roll bar off your RAV. What is the diameter of the hole at the end of the bars?
The hole at the end of the bar is ~ 15mm

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually, addco says to remove the bumper bracket bolt and mount in that position, let me post the written instructions.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ANYBODY WANT TO BUY MY UNUSED SWAY BAR NEVER INSTALLED

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nothin yet, but i did email about the miata bracket to see if we could use them, also they make stronger brackets for the bar, and i will see what length end links i need. sometimes it's frustrating having to outdo the so called engineers to make things work. but hey, thats why they make the big bucks.....

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sig228 said:
Derek said:
Yes.

Derek said:
I also took a look and it is thin! I wonder if a brace or bracket can be made that bolts on to the bumper bracket.

Derek said:
Mensagero, can I ask you a favor since you have your anti-roll bar off your RAV. What is the diameter of the hole at the end of the bars?
The hole at the end of the bar is ~ 15mm
Thanks Sig for your response. :D I am still a bit uncomfortable about the thin gauge frame. After seeing Mensagero's snapped bracket, I can just picture the frame cracking or shearing between the drilled holes made for the bracket. :shock: :cry: The best thing to do is to try and strengthen that area of the frame with an outer brace made of thicker gauge material and welding it in place. :roll: :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
Derek,

Image what would have happened if Mensajero had a 1" bar...

The best way to reinforce it is to weld a plate. But I wonder if JB Weld would do the job.

Ideally does one want the bar's arms to be parallel to the ground? or it doesn't really matter?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sig, those questions are exactly what I am thinking. I would like to cut some long plates that run in-line with the frame and having it attached. I too was thinking some JB Weld might work, I have used that stuff in the past and have not had any problems with it. I am thinking that a wider plate will help to distribute the pressure/load on a greater surface before transferring it to the vehicles frame.

Also, I am planning to run the bar perpendicular to the ground but am wondering if that is the ideal setup. I know that the bar needs to flex and create torsion for it to work well. From another post, I see that Andrew's anti-roll bar (the one being sold at RAV4OZ.com) appears to be running perpendicular to the ground.

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
Rooster b said:
ANYBODY WANT TO BUY MY UNUSED SWAY BAR NEVER INSTALLED
Wait. hold on to the bar. Work things out. See, what you got, what you want to do. And figure out what you need to get to your goal. Know you know why I bought parts and stored away. Then I come up with a bunch of parts. Work it out. PLANNING is the method. I guess you are looking at the "L" metal part to hook up to the base of the shock absobers. It is too big, right? When you get two rear shocks, your all set. Or, purchase the K-mac bar. One thing you got, Time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ok, I purchased some end links from autozone (energy suspension)
and I'm going to try the install about mid-week. I've got to get my new muffler on Tuesday, (as well as my upgraded bolts) so anytime after that I will attempt it. I'll be sure to get pics and let you guys know how it goes. Later :wink:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I grabbed 1 5/8 just to start with. If you notice the long bolt in the kit has a spacer on it that is kinda short for the entire contraption.

I noticed if I make a londer one, I can actually use another 1 to 1 1/2 of the contraption, making it a little closer to the bottom of the shock where the angle bracket will go.

It will take a little measuring and probably another run back to autozone for the right size endlink, but I'm gonna do it. :twisted:

When I go on Tuesday to get my stronger bolts, I'm gonna ask the place if they have a way to either strengthen the frame bracket or if they maybe able to fabricate one. We'll see.

If anyone has any thoughts let me know. I'm gonna try the original mounting of the contraption and see if it holds (ha!) and if not, then I'll hit the drawing board.

Later

·
Registered
650 Posts
The U bolt looks sturdy enough and adding some reinforcement would seem to work well >> Plan A

What do you guys think of drilling thru the cargo floor? >> Plan B

Which do you think would work better?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts