Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Sig228, he bought to my atension a 1" rear anti-sway bar. :wink: Like always, I jumped on it. I emailed Addco, here was thier answer.

We have been working with a customer who has figured out that the 449 bar
will fit the 4 door cars and is 3/4" bar rather that 1" per the catalog. We
are now waiting on a hardware list from that customer so that we can sell
the bar. so yes, we have a bar for that car but it isn't quite ready yet.
When we get the hardware for it, the kit will be $213.50. I should be
between 2-4 weeks before we have it. I'll let you know, or if you'd like to
call and speak with someone in a couple of weeks or so the number is
800-621-8916.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2005 2:16 PM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: Comments

firstname: angel
lastname: maldonado
email: [email protected] :p :p :p :p
comment: I have a 1997 Toyota RAV4, 4DR, 5 Speed, 2WD. I already have an
Addco Rear Anti-Sway Bar. But I see in your page that you have a 1" rear
bar. But that it has to be inquired. Well, here I am again. How much would a
REAR Addco Anti-Sway bar be for my RAV4?

We will just have to wait and see. Guys, I have a 3/4 rear bar. Their is no explaining the awesome handling that my RAV4 has. The best part is the face on the guys I'm passing :lol: You just have to install it and test it. Keep in touch, I will.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I posted this on the other rear sway bar thread in the General Discussion...

The 1" is not available. That listing was a mistake.
You don't want the rear larger than the front.

I just ordered #449 from

http://www.swaybars.com/search/view.asp

E & A Performance
P.O. Box 532
Linville, NC 28646
1-866-201-7599

Ask for Shelly, nice and friendly lady.
They have it in stock.
Their price is $135.00 for the Urethane Kit.

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is interesting. I just ordered my Energy suspension bushings and now I want the rear sway bar. Now should I wait a couple of weeks or just get the 3/4 in. now? Things to consider...

But Sig does have a point, you don't really want the rear bar larger than the front do ya? :?:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I would. In my experience, I would like a bigger bar in the rear. Remember, mine is a 4 Door. With the 3/4, it works great, but their is always some space for improvement. Also, Addco, when it places on its catalog a 1" bar. Something is up. If it comes up, I'll give it a try. I live in the mountains of PR. we NEED stability. I'll just change the bushings and the bar.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Oh I remember your RAV. Mine is 4 door as well. Handling is everything to me. A fast car isn't crap without perfect handling. So with a larger bar in the rear, how will that make it handle differently from the 3/4 in?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dnylrq said:
Oh I remember your RAV. Mine is 4 door as well. Handling is everything to me. A fast car isn't crap without perfect handling. So with a larger bar in the rear, how will that make it handle differently from the 3/4 in?
As much as you tru, the bar will always flex a little. I guess with a 1" bar, it will flex, less. :wink:

Oh well, that depends on your speed and the type of curve and where you are going to hit its Apex.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just to add to your discussion... I just got this e-mail message from Swaybars.com about their pricing for the RAV4 rear sway bar. According to them, their '96-'97 RAV4 2 door rear sway bar will fit '98+ RAV4 4doors.

She also quoted that the bar that they have is 7/8 in. diameter? I don't know about 1 inch diameter bars though. Their website says that the rear bar is 3/4", so who knows? :roll:

"Derek

The rear bar will work for the four door it is part number 449 it is 7/8 in diameter and 149.00 I can send it through the USPS to save on shipping I think it is about 20.00. I'll be in the office until 5:00 EST whenever you are ready to order it just let me know. My number is 866-201-7599.
Thanks
Shelly"

If you are wondering why shipping quote is so expensive, I live in Hawaii. :D

T

·
0 Posts
Well, normally you don't want the rears to be stiffer than the fronts. In a rear wheel drive car, an extremely stiff rear sway bar will cause oversteer and you'll be able to break out the rears more easily. In a front wheel drive car, you'll get wheel hop in the rear and result in uncontrolled unstable oversteer from the more familiar understeer. Stiffer bars improve ride to a point. You should match stiffer rear bars with stiffer front bars as well.

T

·
0 Posts
Just trying to explain that bigger is not always better. Do it correctly and a rear bar should help tremendously.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts