·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
angel
do you have pictures of your rear sway bar install

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
First of all, where have you been dude? Here are the pictures :)

These are the once I have. Not very good. But at least you can get the general idea. One thing, it works great. Just turn to where you want to go, at any speed. No problem.

One thing that it is doing is when I start the engine the muffler pipe slightly taps the sway bar. Once I install the new muffler, I'll correct that. Because removing it, is not an option. It has even surprised me of how stable the truck is. For me, this is a must have.
:wink:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Angel... thanks for reposting those picts. I had them before but seemed to have lost them. I too am planning to add the Addco rear anti-sway bars once my RAV gets lowered (hopefully in the near future).

I remember you spray painted your bar red, it appears that it is starting to peel off in some areas. :cry: Do you think if it was powdercoated, it might last longer? Also, does the bar come with all of the mounting brackets and hardware that is pictured; or do you have to buy all of that stuff separately? Somehow, all of those washers on the bottom bracket does not appear to be planned as part of Addco's kit? I may have a good ideas on how to remedy that situation. Gotta get the bar first! :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Angel... i also have some questions. the install instructions addco supplied don"t look anything like your install. you did drill one hole on each side for the hanger, correct? thanks
rooster b

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Here is the installation kit. You will use all these parts except two. The black bolts that are under the "U". Without a doubt, you will needed longer and harder bolts. The instructions tell you in which specific order goes every part. But I had to change for longer and stronger bolts. You can find those in any "Nuts and Bolt" store. Or even at Home Depot. First they are to short, and weak. Mine turned them into a "7", twice. I said forget it. The harder the better.

Regarding the bar and shipping, in my case, I send for my Addco Anti-Sway Bar at Summit Racing. In the box comes the bar and a paper with instructions, nothing else. The paper will tell you where to call for your installation kit. Remember, don’t lift your RAV4. It has more then enough space under it to work. Sometimes it might even seem to be a little intimidating. But keep working at it. Measure and Re-measure the holes. Measure twice and cut once, always. Check and double check. Watch for clearance around the muffler and pipe area. That is why it is best to install it on the ground. The satisfaction of your work is worth the effort. Forget about painting it, it will get mess up in no time, believe me. Once you are finish, check your tires for air. Then test it. Go to a road that you know that has a series of curves on it, and have fun. When you install the shocks and springs, you are in another category. With good power, [header, tires, modules etc] you will eat a BMW for breakfast, and look at his stupid face.
:oops: :?

One problem, in my neck of the woods. Once words gets out that you can handle well. Their will be more then enough guys willing to challenge you. Once you've kick there assphalt, they will show respect. They better, then you're going to go after them.
:wink:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
This is the TRD Front Anti-Sway Bar that Kelly [yes, the founder of rav4world.com] sold me about two years ago. It is a same diameter as the stock RAV4 bar, but it is a lot more rigid. It comes with TRD Poly bushings. Some people might say that they are the same. But I tested them slamming them on the cement floor. The OEM vibrated like a cartoon. The TRD, was just a solid thump no vibration what so ever, a little heavier also. The two bars make your RAV4 faster in corners. Now finding this bar is a little dificult. Check with Brandsport.com at the door. Price, the 1997-1998 Sport Parts Catalog had it for $275.00

8)
:D
:lol:

Oh, BTW, since the TRD front bar was designed for the 2 door model. The diameter of the end-link stud is smaller, then the OEM of the four door. You will have to re-drill the bar to open it. Also, you will have to wrestle with it to install it. The Poly bushings make it as sold as a rock. :wink:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Derek,

I got the rear 3/4" (part #449) Urethane Kit. The 7/8" bar is part #544 and that one if for the front.

It should fit, it's the same bar Mensajero has in his car.

Hopefully the rear bar alone will be enough to keep me happy. I may also get urethane bushings for the front.

Sure, I'll try to post some pics once it's in.

Sig

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ordered my 3/4 rear bar as well, plus front and rear urethane control arm bushings. Bushings should be here on Friday and unknown on the sway bar as of yet. Later

·
Registered
432 Posts
Got 'em from suspension.com. They have them in stock also. Summit Racing can't have them until late June so these are the folks to go with. Cost me $69.67 with shipping for both front and rear. They are black urethane graphite impregnated bushings from energy suspension. :D :D :twisted:

The part numbers are: Front 8-3113 and rear 8-3114

Hope to have the bar within the next week or so, then I can get all the stuff installed at once and put back on my summer tires.

Hey mensajero, what size is the bolt on the endlink that needs to be changed? Perhaps even a little advice from our guinea pig to help us along the way... :lol:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ok, my bar and bushings are in. :D Now comes the installation part of the game. I've been watching the thread on Mensajero's broken bracket, and hoping you guys will come up with something soon :lol:

Mensajero, did you ever install your polyurethane bushings? If you did already, what kind of difficulty am I looking at? Time involved?

Those directions that came with the bar kinda suck. Maybe a little advice could help as well. :oops: BTW, which bolt is it that needs to be stronger? Is it the one that runs through the bushings?

Ok now I'm lost, (this is an edit) I put together this assembly to go from the frame to the bar (wierd looking) via the instructions. Now it talks about assembling the end links. :?: I don't see any sticking end links or bushings for it! Is this something else I gotta get?

OOOOOO my god this is going to drive me nuts! (this is just a pre-assembly job by the way) I have enough parts to make 2 of these and nothing else.

Here's the assembly and inst. I was given
http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=285
http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=284

For anyone who doesn't know it the bar goes through the bottom bushing hole, and the top goes to the frame. This is what my instructions tell me. But what about the end links? :evil: :evil:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts