Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I camp out several times a year and sleep in the back of my RAV. I often wished I could open the rear door from inside and found a pretty easy way to do it. I drilled a 2" hole through the door and clamped a 12" long piece of 1/4" diameter aluminum rod to the actuator rod. The rod has a couple of dogleg bends to come up and through the hole I made. I then threaded the end of the rod and added a plastic knob with a 1/4"-20 female thread. I kind of took an educated guess as to where to drill a 3/8" hole through the plastic door panel. It works like a charm and it only cost me $3.00 for the knob. I had the rest of the parts laying around.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I camp out several times a year and sleep in the back of my RAV. I often wished I could open the rear door from inside and found a pretty easy way to do it. I drilled a 2" hole through the door and clamped a 12" long piece of 1/4" diameter aluminum rod to the actuator rod. The rod has a couple of dogleg bends to come up and through the hole I made. I then threaded the end of the rod and added a plastic knob with a 1/4"-20 female thread. I kind of took an educated guess as to where to drill a 3/8" hole through the plastic door panel. It works like a charm and it only cost me $3.00 for the knob. I had the rest of the parts laying around.
I wish the OP took a few more pictures to go along with the post. I can't figure out if he drilled that 2" hole thru both layers of door backing or just one? And did he just clamp the new added alum rod parallel to the existing door mechanism? It's a neat project and I'm trying it out for myself right now, but I have to admit it's a lot more involved than I anticipated.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
61 Posts
Not to be a dink but if I understand what you are asking correctly you can clearly see in the photos that both door skin layers have the 2" hole and that yes the tube is clamped around the existing rod.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, now that I can view the pic on a monitor, as opposed to a tablet, in the sun light, I can see both skins are drilled thru. As for the rod mounted to the existing door mechanism, are you saying the new alum bar/rod/stock is hollow i.e. a tube? and is clamped over the existing or NEXT to the existing piece? From the pic it looks like it is a tube and it is mounted over the door mech. But that is an impossibility. Either way its no biggie I think I have it worked out. thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts