Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry an electric wheelchair, along with a Bruno lift, in the rear of my new unit. The two combined weigh 330 lbs which does result in the rear "sagging" about 2 1/2 inches lower. After much research, and a very cooperative and efficient Shop Foreman at my local Toyota dealer, I have now installed Air Lift air bags into the rear coils. This has reduced the rear "sag" to just 3/4 of an inch and has, I don't think, impacted the ride negatively. I also went with Air Lift's automatic remote compressor system (not cheap though!) which I mounted inside the spare tire storage area. Air Lift does not make a specific air bag kit for the newer RAV's but after taking measurements that had a universal unit that fits very well.

If anyone is interested in the details and/or pictures let me know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Details and pictures please! Especially the compressor location and approximate price out for your set up. Thanks in advance?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First the airbags: because there is no "kit" for the 2013 to 2017 RAV you have to go this way. For the 2017 the kit was 60905 (diameter 3.5" height 9.5"). The airbags retail were $200 CDN (ordered through a jobber who gave me a discount).

https://www.airliftcompany.com/workshop/air-lift-1000-universal-air-spring-kit/

The compressor and manifold are mounted in the spare tire storage area (driver's side) - lots of room and even a few Toyota grommets to run air lines and wiring through. Wiring was run up to the battery but in order to have the power to the compressor ONLY when the ignition is on they used a relay connected into a fuse that is key-on activated. Compressor was not cheap - $ 735 CDN but again I got a discount.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/compressor-systems/wirelessone/

OK - now the hard part. I choose to have my selling dealer do the installation even though there was a local "off road" shop that said they could to it. Sure Toyota charged more however I wanted to be safe and as the vehicle was new didn't want to do anything that later someone would say "oh you modified the suspension, warranty does not apply". Here is why (see picture) - there is a very large bolt sticking into the coil spring area. My Shop Foreman indicated it was only that "long" so the robots could install it and that he would cut them off however it required lowering components of the rear suspension in order to cut them off and grind them smooth. This lowering was via removing bolts/bushings and did not affect suspension geometry and thus did not necessitate a wheel alignment afterwards. The airline (hopefully you can see it in the picture) runs out the bottom of the suspension member. They charged me seven hours labour and a bit for shop supplies -- I was not unhappy with this amount.

The wheelchair lift is a Bruno VSL-6900 with their "bolt in" mount (very well engineered etc):

Bruno's most popular hoist scooter, powerchair lift. | Bruno

See picture of completed unit (although I did paint black the plywood sub-floor and add Toyota's all weather cargo mat.

Hope this helps those who had questions/interest.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts