Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried to get the key cut from Homedepot and lowes. HD told me that I need to go to dealer and Lowes says these keys they cant cut.
Should I hunt for for a locksmith ? How much they generally charge ?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I tried to get the key cut from Homedepot and lowes. HD told me that I need to go to dealer and Lowes says these keys they cant cut.
Should I hunt for for a locksmith ? How much they generally charge ?

First thing you need to do is tell us what year you have and is it push button start or keyfob? If you have the keyfob already then just go to a locksmith and have it cut (maybe $3). Then use techstream to program the immobilizer and locks

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is a Keyfob and I called almost every locksmith in neighborhood. They all want between 80-100 even to cut the key. HD and lowes wont even cut them

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It is a Keyfob and I called almost every locksmith in neighborhood. They all want between 80-100 even to cut the key. HD and lowes wont even cut them
You have keyfob and NOT A PUSH TO SHART CORRECT? It cost me 2.80 to have my 2011 keyfob blade cut a my local locksmith. Do you plan on using techstream to program the immobilizer yourself? Did you tell them you ONLY want the blade cut and not programed? I would think 80 -100 would include programing the immobilizer and door locks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
keyfob

You have keyfob and NOT A PUSH TO SHART CORRECT? It cost me 2.80 to have my 2011 keyfob blade cut a my local locksmith. Do you plan on using techstream to program the immobilizer yourself? Did you tell them you ONLY want the blade cut and not programed? I would think 80 -100 would include programing the immobilizer and door locks.
Local stores would cut 2011 and earlier model keys and they wont cut any outside bought blacnk. I have techstream and I plan on programming it . It is a bummber that no one wants to cut the key. Local locksmiths are worst

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Local stores would cut 2011 and earlier model keys and they wont cut any outside bought blacnk. I have techstream and I plan on programming it . It is a bummber that no one wants to cut the key. Local locksmiths are worst

That makes absolutely no sense. 2012 keys are the same as 2011. MANY people here have had their keys cut by locksmiths , hardware stores and even walmart so I don't understand. How much did the dealer want to just cut it? Did you end up gettingt it cut?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
That makes absolutely no sense. 2012 keys are the same as 2011. MANY people here have had their keys cut by locksmiths , hardware stores and even walmart so I don't understand. How much did the dealer want to just cut it? Did you end up gettingt it cut?
What's the issue here? Cutting a key is one thing, cloning a FOB is something else.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've read through this thread, but have to admit I'm still a bit confused about the immobilizer aspect. For example, this was quoted in one posted: "Just FYI, the FCC code applies to the keyless transmitter, the remote that unlocks the doors when you press the button. That code has nothing to do with the immobilizer chip". I don't know if I can ignore this talk about immobilizer chips or not...

I have a 2011 Rav4 Limited (push start) and lost one of the fobs. The one I still have is FCC ID HYQ14AEM. The board number inside is 271451-6601. I can see no markings on the key (read some posts talking about looking for letters on it). I don't care about the physical key aspect, I just want to add another functional FOB.

Can I just purchase a FOB with that ID, like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2013-OEM-Lexus-Smart-Key-315-MHz-4-but-FCC-ID-HYQ14AEM/271967646459?epid=1422173322&hash=item3f5288f2fb:g:7vcAAOSwr8xZ82zD&vxp=mtr

Then just program it/get it programmed? Or do I also need to do something about the immobilizer thing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I've read through this thread, but have to admit I'm still a bit confused about the immobilizer aspect. For example, this was quoted in one posted: "Just FYI, the FCC code applies to the keyless transmitter, the remote that unlocks the doors when you press the button. That code has nothing to do with the immobilizer chip". I don't know if I can ignore this talk about immobilizer chips or not...

I have a 2011 Rav4 Limited (push start) and lost one of the fobs. The one I still have is FCC ID HYQ14AEM. The board number inside is 271451-6601. I can see no markings on the key (read some posts talking about looking for letters on it). I don't care about the physical key aspect, I just want to add another functional FOB.

Can I just purchase a FOB with that ID, like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2013-OEM-Lexus-Smart-Key-315-MHz-4-but-FCC-ID-HYQ14AEM/271967646459?epid=1422173322&hash=item3f5288f2fb:g:7vcAAOSwr8xZ82zD&vxp=mtr

Then just program it/get it programmed? Or do I also need to do something about the immobilizer thing?

Thanks.
Can you post a pic of the remote and the board so we can see the numbers.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Springwater you need to match two things: transponder system (encryption to start the car) and wireless system (to remotely open the door).

The transponder system:
Dot key = 40 bit encryption
L & G key = 80 bit encryption
H key = 120 bit encryption

That is why they ask what type of key you have because of the encryption of the transponder. The wireless system uses a certain frequency.

The wireless part opens the door with the remote fob buttons example below is the type:
FCC ID: HYQ14AEM

Even though the link shows HYQ14AEM you should ask the seller if it fits your particular vehicle because the Ebay link given does not list a 2011 RAV4 as compatible. The transponder encryption may not be for your system. The only thing I see if it matches is if the board say 6601 GNE on the seller description. But your board say 271451-6601?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
So how do I determine the transponder system type?
Most keys you can tell by the marking such as a dot or G on the key. But in your case it seems the board id is what you can go by. Those push button system uses a different system which is another category. Sorry don't have much information since I don't have a push start system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 2016 RAV4 LE. Need another key as one of the original is lost.

As per the dealer the part number is 89070-42D30. This is H key and not a smart key.

Is this something I can buy online and program myself?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts

As per the dealer the part number is 89070-42D30. This is H key and not a smart key.

Read this thread and it tells you. You need to buy the mini vci cable that comes with the software called Techstream. (from Ebay). Most buy the key fob on Ebay. You install Techstream on your laptop. Then hook the mini vci cable from the laptop to the OBD2 port. You need a master key to program Techstream. It can't be a valet key which looks like a key with no buttons.

If you are using an operating system with 64 bit you need to do a few different steps to make Techstream work. Read post 378 on this thread. The drivers are design to run on a 32 o/s system ie: Win XP or Win7 32 bit.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

You NEED A MASTER KEY to make another one!

Yes you can buy the key from online or ebay . Have it cut by a locksmith then program with Techstream cable and software.

This key should work " HYQ12BDM, H Chip" but double check with seller just to make sure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Key-for-2013-2015-Toyota-Rav4-2014-2016-Prius-C-V-Remote-Fob-H-Chip/302139528169?epid=8002489965&hash=item4658eb53e9:g:cXsAAOSwo4pYK31a:sc:USPSFirstClass!01850!US!-1&vxp=mtr

Techstream cable and software Windows 32bit or 64 bit versions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-VCI-Diagnostic-Tool-Cable-Scanner-Toyota-Lexus-TIS-Techstream-32bit-64bit/222669736469?hash=item33d8268a15:m:mhg8QqlYQnqjwuICpUS9yUQ:sc:USPSFirstClass!01850!US!-1

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Techstream for 64bit

The driver has to be installed different on a 64 bit machine. I got it going on windows 10 64bit.

You can download v12 here. It also has a file key to register.

Free Download and install Toyota Techstream 12.20.024 on Windows 7 | OBDII365.com Official Blog

instructions for 64bit
https://obd2016.wordpress.com/2017/0...s-7-pro-64bit/

mcvi 64 reg download if you dont already have it. You can add it to the first download folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mztf3wrqa...i5qy1xpoa?dl=0

you have to do the first 2 steps from text in first download then use instructions from 2 download (obd2016 wordpress) to install mvci driver

PS . Some people have had better luck with an earlier version of techstream Like V10 instead of V12

181 - 200 of 238 Posts
About this Discussion
237 Replies
61 Participants
Dror Hazan
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing