Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Is this correct part number for Keys of 2018 RAV4?

Toyota Part Number: 89070-42820, HYQ12BDM

Please verify your FCC# HYQ12BDM , and your key has an "H" on the blade.
These are for the models that are made in Japan. There will be a J for the first letter of your VIN.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It actually works!
I first went to dealer and they said the only option was Toyota Part Number: 89070-42820, 89070-42D30, which is key with 3 buttons. I just buy one with H chip, valet type, have it cut by dealer, then registered it. It works immediately!
It is not true that 2018 RAV4 cannot has valet keys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
You NEED A MASTER KEY to make another one!

Yes you can buy the key from online or ebay . Have it cut by a locksmith then program with Techstream cable and software.

This key should work " HYQ12BDM, H Chip" but double check with seller just to make sure.

Techstream cable and software Windows 32bit or 64 bit versions.
I got the techstream to work and able to connect to RAV4.

Now ready to buy the key.

The part number as per the dealer is 89070-42D30. The cheapest I am able to find it using part number is for $79.99. It is available on keylessremotewarehouse. Not able to post the link

The key seems to be HYQ12BDM 'H'.

Can I buy any cheaper key available that says HYQ12BDM 'H', even though it does not say it fits for 2016 RAV4, but fits to 2015 RAV4? For ex, the listing you suggested on ebay. I contacted the seller and he says it is not compatible with 2016 RAV4. Do you think it will work with my 2016 RAV4 since it is HYQ12BDM 'H'.

Thanks is advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can buy replacement keys on ebay for less then a dealer and have it cut by your local locksmith. Then use techstream to program it!

NEW-3-BUTTON-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-KEY-HYQ12BDM-H-CHIP-2014-2017-TOYOTA-RAV4
I bought the key from this listing for my 2016 RAV4. Is it ok for me to program the remote first to make sure it is compatible before I get it cut? Would Techstream allow me to program the remote before I program the key?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I bought the key from this listing for my 2016 RAV4. Is it ok for me to program the remote first to make sure it is compatible before I get it cut? Would Techstream allow me to program the remote before I program the key?
Yes to your question. The key does not need to be cut in order to program it.

I program my fob with an uncut key. To test my new uncut key I placed a plain cut key in the ignition and then put the new program key fob (not cut) near the ignition to see if it starts. It started so I knew the immobilizer part worked. I tested the fob to see if the doors unlocked and locked which did so I know the keyless part works.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You can buy replacement keys on ebay for less then a dealer and have it cut by your local locksmith. Then use techstream to program it!

NEW-3-BUTTON-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-KEY-HYQ12BDM-H-CHIP-2014-2017-TOYOTA-RAV4
Did you verify with the seller that it's compatable with your Rav?

·
Registered
6 Posts

He said it is interchangeable so it should work. This is the reason I want to program it before getting a cut.

This is non smart key. Mechanical key with three button remote control. My plan is to first program remote control in the key. If that works, then get it cut by the locksmith, and then program the key itself.

Make sense??

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

He said it is interchangeable so it should work. This is the reason I want to program it before getting a cut.

This is non smart key. Mechanical key with three button remote control. My plan is to first program remote control in the key. If that works, then get it cut by the locksmith, and then program the key itself.

Make sense??
I personally would get the key cut first. it cost me 3 at the locksmith

Was your car made in JAPAN? First letter on Vin would be J?

If the seller said it was compatable and it doesn't work he has to take it back!

·
Registered
7 Posts

Make sense??
Yes, you can use TechStream to register the remote function before the key is being cut.
For cutting the key, I would go to Toyota Dealer with the key code, instead of a copy from the master key. My first one was cut via the master key and won't work.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yes, you can use TechStream to register the remote function before the key is being cut.
For cutting the key, I would go to Toyota Dealer with the key code, instead of a copy from the master key. My first one was cut via the master key and won't work.
Did you have a locksmith cut the KEY that didn't work?

How much did dealer charge to cut key?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you have a locksmith cut the KEY that didn't work?

How much did dealer charge to cut key?
--Yes, but not by an automotive locksmith, just regular locksmith. It was very closer but totally damaged after I tried to file a little bit.
--No charge since I brought with me the uncut key and code and vehicle registration. He said he will charge me $12 if he has to retrieve the code by VIN.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
--Yes, but not by an automotive locksmith, just regular locksmith. It was very closer but totally damaged after I tried to file a little bit.
--No charge since I brought with me the uncut key and code and vehicle registration. He said he will charge me $12 if he has to retrieve the code by VIN.
I had no problem with mine cut by my local locksmith $3. Why did you try to file it down? You should have tried it right after he cut it! If it didn't work then you should have brought it back and have him fix it!

·
Registered
6 Posts

If the seller said it was compatable and it doesn't work he has to take it back!
Yes, first letter of VIN is J.

You said - "I personally would get the key cut first". Any specific reason? Any reason not to program remote functions first?

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is not an option. Dealer asking $110 just to cut. Robbery.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

Yes, first letter of VIN is J.

You said - "I personally would get the key cut first". Any specific reason? Any reason not to program remote functions first?
Do it which ever way is easiest for you! No need to over think it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don’t have the techstream yet, but have a problem with trying to set a new dot key immobilizer. When I tried the key in/out 5x, then open/close door 6x, the security light flashes. I can only guess that means the memory is full. After digging around, it looks like the rav4 needs to be reset/reseeded. I happened to find one shop that claims there are procedures called “pedal dancing” to register or delete keys. I’m a little worried as I only have one master key.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

To Delete all keys other than present master key
1. Make sure all windows are rolled up & doors are shut.
2. From outside LOCK the door with the key.
3. From outside UNLOCK the door with the key.
4. Enter vehicle, close all of the doors, but do not lock them.
5. Start the engine.
6. Turn engine off & remove key.
7. Simultaneously depress & release brake & gas pedals 1 time.
8. Place master key in the ignition lock. (DO NOT TURN ON.)
9. Within 15 seconds press & release the gas pedal 6 times.
10. Within 20 seconds, forcefully press & release the brake pedal 7 times. The Security light will blink.
11. Within 10 seconds, remove the master key. All other keys should be deleted from the car’s computer.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I don’t have the techstream yet, but have a problem with trying to set a new dot key immobilizer. When I tried the key in/out 5x, then open/close door 6x, the security light flashes. I can only guess that means the memory is full. After digging around, it looks like the rav4 needs to be reset/reseeded. I happened to find one shop that claims there are procedures called “pedal dancing” to register or delete keys. I’m a little worried as I only have one master key.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

To Delete all keys other than present master key
1. Make sure all windows are rolled up & doors are shut.
2. From outside LOCK the door with the key.
3. From outside UNLOCK the door with the key.
4. Enter vehicle, close all of the doors, but do not lock them.
5. Start the engine.
6. Turn engine off & remove key.
7. Simultaneously depress & release brake & gas pedals 1 time.
8. Place master key in the ignition lock. (DO NOT TURN ON.)
9. Within 15 seconds press & release the gas pedal 6 times.
10. Within 20 seconds, forcefully press & release the brake pedal 7 times. The Security light will blink.
11. Within 10 seconds, remove the master key. All other keys should be deleted from the car’s computer.

You need techstream to program the immobilizer on 2009!

You can get one on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-VCI-Diagnostic-Tool-Cable-Scanner-for-Toyota-Lexus-TIS-Techstream-V10-30-29/302268796698?epid=701248918&hash=item46609fcf1a:g:qtwAAOSwCQZZCo-X

201 - 220 of 238 Posts
About this Discussion
237 Replies
61 Participants
Dror Hazan
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing