Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Lost communication?

I bought the Mangoose cable from a seller on eBay, and bought a spare just in case.

I successfully registered a key on my wife's 2010 RAV4, but when I try to register a key on my 09 Avalon, it fails.

I am at the screen where it tells me to remove the key from the ignition, reinsert the key and turn the ignition on. I do this and wait about 5 seconds then press NEXT and after about 10-20 seconds I get a message that communication was lost. This is before I am even asked to insert a key to be registered so a good key is in the ignition.

Software version 7.31.003 and 8.10.021 both give this error. I have two cables and both cables give the same error. Just for grins, I went back to my wife's RAV4 and was able to get past this screen and then it asked me to insert an unregistered key and not to turn the ignition on. I know it works on the RAV4 but why doesn't it work on my Avalon?

There is nothing shrouding the key, and the key IS recognized because it does turn off the security light and start the car. No add-ons, the Avalon is bone stock. The key is a factory Toyota key. No other keys are near the ignition (I have them laying on the ground outside the vehicle) The immobilizer data list for the Avalon looks identical to the RAV4. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I successfully registered a key on my wife's 2010 RAV4, but when I try to register a key on my 09 Avalon, it fails.

I am at the screen where it tells me to remove the key from the ignition, reinsert the key and turn the ignition on. I do this and wait about 5 seconds then press NEXT and after about 10-20 seconds I get a message that communication was lost. This is before I am even asked to insert a key to be registered so a good key is in the ignition.

Software version 7.31.003 and 8.10.021 both give this error.
I think they changed the immobilizer chip to a higher encryption in 2010. Compare the original key blades on the RAV4 and Avalon. Is there a dot or a G on the blade? The dot is the older chip and the G is the newer chip.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think they changed the immobilizer chip to a higher encryption in 2010. Compare the original key blades on the RAV4 and Avalon. Is there a dot or a G on the blade? The dot is the older chip and the G is the newer chip.
All the keys have a G the FCC ID on all the keys is HYQ12BBY

edit I must have been sleeping all the keys have a dot

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
All the keys have a G the FCC ID on all the keys is HYQ12BBY
Well it should work as long as you're using a master key and not a sub key. You can't program a new key using a sub (valet) key. And by the way, the FCC ID only refers to the remote locking transmitter, it has nothing to do with the immobilizer chip.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I checked all the factory keys for the 2010 RAV4 and the 2009 Avalon. They all have a dot. There is one valet key that does not have a dot or a G. All the other keys have the built in fob.

The Toyota key that I have been using since I bought the Avalon back in 2011 has a dot, and so does the Toyota key my wife uses for my Avalon. Her RAV4 factory key has a dot, and so does my key for her RAV4.

I'm confused....I can register a key for the RAV4 with no problem, but when I try to register a key on the Avalon, Techstream never gets past reading the original key that is in the ignition. It says it lost communication with the ECU. I never get a message to insert the key I want to register.

Thanks

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I checked all the factory keys for the 2010 RAV4 and the 2009 Avalon. They all have a dot. There is one valet key that does not have a dot or a G. All the other keys have the built in fob.

The Toyota key that I have been using since I bought the Avalon back in 2011 has a dot, and so does the Toyota key my wife uses for my Avalon. Her RAV4 factory key has a dot, and so does my key for her RAV4.

I'm confused....I can register a key for the RAV4 with no problem, but when I try to register a key on the Avalon, Techstream never gets past reading the original key that is in the ignition. It says it lost communication with the ECU. I never get a message to insert the key I want to register.
Well, now I'm confused. You said in an earlier post that all your keys had the "G" on them. Now you say they all have the dot.

Try registering it again with the Avalon but this time with the engine running and all doors closed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well, now I'm confused. You said in an earlier post that all your keys had the "G" on them. Now you say they all have the dot.

Try registering it again with the Avalon but this time with the engine running and all doors closed.
That was my brother :) I don't know why I said they had G but they ALL have a dot (except for the flip keys)

I'll try your suggestion tonight

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bought my 2013 XLE about a week ago, it was Japanese built, the 2 key fobs given to me have "H" stamped on the blade. Do I need to find "H" blade key or would "G" blade key work also?

Can't seem to find any "H" stamped blade keys on EBay, may actually have to find one at hardware or locksmith.

Anyone try keyfob FCC ID HYQ128BDM, w/ blade stamped "H"? What version of Techstream were you using 7 or 8? Or does it not matter?

Thanks

·
Registered
731 Posts
Still no luck

I tried it with the doors closed (windows down cause it's hot) and the key registration fails. I am using my wife's key now, so two different keys, two different cables, Techstream 8.10.021 and an older 7.xxx version. (The 7.x version was uninstalled before I installed 8.10.021

The error happens before any new keys are going to be registered. I am told to insert the original key, which I have been using for 2 years.

The first message, I am told to remove the key from the ignition, put it back in the ignition and then turn the ignition on. Then I hit next, and within a few seconds I am given the message that communication was lost with the ECU. Hit OK to reinitialize the ECU.

I have tried this over 50 times, over many days.

I refuse to go to Toyota and pay them their hourly labor rate to register these keys. My dad had a saying "never give up" and right now he's over my shoulder watching.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I tried it with the doors closed (windows down cause it's hot) and the key registration fails.
And you DO have the engine running, correct? Mine fails to connect with some systems unless the engine is running.

·
Registered
731 Posts
tried it with engine running - same result

I tried to get the remote to program work and it too does not work. The key this remote and immobilizer came out of was a key with a dot. I'm sure of that. ;)

So the 09 Avalon is still fighting me :(

I'll uninstall 8.10.012 and install 8.20.019 and see what happens

·
Registered
731 Posts
getting farther

I got as far as Techstream 8.20.019 recognizing my factory key (in the data list it is shown as a master, not a sub) but then I can't get it to read my flip key. But it's progress. I did get it to read the flip key for my wife's RAV4, so perhaps the transponder in the flip key for the Avalon is faulty. I refuse to dissect any factory key that came with the Avalon.

I just ordered two used 4 button keys with a dot on the blade from eBay.

This flip key conversion is getting expensive!

·
Registered
731 Posts
a clarification

I didn't explain how I got the factory key to be recognized. I tried it door open and closed, engine running or not running and it still said lost communication. So the next time I did not turn the key off and take it out of the ignition. I just left the ignition on, and it recognized the key! I popped in my new flip key, and it wasn't recognized so I popped in my wife's flip key for her RAV4 which is what I use when I drive her RAV4, and it registered it. It won't turn in the ignition, but at least I know the system works, albeit quirky. I ordered two more used 4 button keys with a dot, and will use the immobilizer and remote out of those. Methinks I put guts from a G key into the flip key compounding the confusion. :wall

·
Registered
731 Posts
it is done

The only way I can register a key is by leaving the ignition on when asked to remove the master key from the ignition, put it back in the turn the ignition on. Today I received the 2 used 4 button keys from a seller on ebay. I successfully registered both transponders but only one remote will register. These used keys have a dot, just like the keys for my RAV4 and Avalon. Of that I am sure. ;)

I even got brave and erased all the transponders and remotes on the Avalon, and added them back in, except for the one remote on the used ebay key that is bad. I'll change the battery in it and retry, but the main obstacle to get the car to read the master key before the registration even started is hurdled.

This weekend I'll tackle the RAV4 by erasing all the transponders and remotes and add them back in (just so this stays RAV4 and JuneBug doesn't ban me :) )

Thanks again for holding my hand. Hopefully I can reciprocate tenfold.

·
Registered
3 Posts
About to embark...

We lost one of these fobs recently, so I'm looking to replace it for something considerably south of the $350 our dealer is asking. Is the key in this fob the "master" referred to in this thread? And once I've acquired the Techstream cable and software and the key (like the one in the original post here), I'm GTG for my 2009 RAV4? Just wanna make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I begin.... Thanks!

EDIT: I guess I also need to get a separate key that has the correct immobilizer chip in it, if I'm set on using a different key fob and inserting into it the immobilizer chip.

EDIT EDIT!: My wife found her keys in the basket where we store the kids' swim goggles! (I blame our 4-y-o.) Crisis averted!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Just buy a key like the one you lost

You can buy a brand new uncut Toyota OEM factory key with the transponder and remote off eBay for $30.00

Toyota RAV4 Replacement Remote Head KEY FOB Keyless Entry Remote Transmitter | eBay

You can buy the cable and software off eBay for $28.00

Mini VCI J2534 Compatible FOR OEM Toyota TIS Techstream OBD2 Scanner W Software | eBay

Look for either a G or a dot on the blade of an existing key. Make sure the new key has the same marking. Then take that to a locksmith and have them copy an existing key cut. Now you have a key that will turn in the ignition. On to getting the car to recognize the key.

You will need to register the transponder in the new key, as well as the remote. There are two separate sections in Techstream for this. The process is smooth if you follow the directions. I could not get Techstream to connect, and ended up NOT following the directions and got it working.

You can buy a flip key, cut the transponder out and swap the remote and transponder into the flip key, but if you just want a key that works, then stick with the factory Toyota key.

As for Techstream, the latest is 8.20.019 I run it on an old Dell D620 with XP since that's what is recommended. I also ran it under Vista (the OS the laptop came with) and noticed no difference in operation.

$58.00 is a lot better than $350.00

I just did this on my wife's RAV4 and my Avalon, so it is fresh in my head.
Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You can buy a brand new uncut Toyota OEM factory key with the transponder and remote off eBay for $30.00
The only caveat I would add is that that key is very unlikely to an OEM key, it will be a replacement probably made in China.

It will probably work, but some have been known to be problematic.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Mini-review of the flip key

1) These things are a lot heavier than the factory key. I have two of them on my key ring, (Avalon and RAV4) and if I'm not wearing a belt, my pants drop. That's not a pretty sight, so I wear a belt a lot more.

2) The buttons are already wearing. Perhaps it is because of the chemicals in my skin (I never handle my keys when my hands are dirty), or poor paint quality.

Other than those two cons, I give the flip key a 9 out of 10. I still have the original Toyota keys that came with the Avalon and RAV4, but I'd rather use these flip keys.

I handle a wide variety of keys at the shop where I work, and this flip key is VERY similar externally to a factory VW flip key. The VW flip key is about 1/10th smaller and uses a different type of button cluster for the remote functions.

Other than the heft, this flip key is what Toyota should be using.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Push to start compatible?

Is this process as well as the keys you got compatible with push to start rav4s? How does that change things when trying to get new keys?

41 - 60 of 238 Posts