Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Confirmed it's a master - it opens the glove box and does shut off the security light if I press and hold the key into the ignition without turning. If I don't press and hold, the security light comes back on. Go figure.

Thanks for the help!
Sounds like you have a master so you can now can buy another key get it cut ( I prefer to use a locksmith instead of places like homedepot) then use techstream to program the immobilizer and door locks. You can use the excellent tutorial written by JuneBug at the beginning of this thread,

Here's a link to the techstream cable on ebay

Mini VCI Diagnostic Tool Cable Scanner for Toyota Lexus TIS Techstream V10.30.29

Here's a little video on some things that can be done with techstream. Depending on model.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Folks, so I got all set up with an old XP laptop, and a MVCI cabe + Techstream through the link that @@2011rav4 posted (thanks again!). The cable came with Techstream v12, but otherwise seems to be as described by the seller.

I am running into some problems though.

Techstream recognizes my vehicle, but doesn't give me some key options. For instance, after connecting, I don't have a "Health Check" button. In fact, I don't have any of the options that @JuneBug describes in the walkthrough. The only buttons I see are "TIS Function" and "Read Data Function". If I go ahead and drill into "Main Body" I'm again met with a slightly different set of options - I see "Trouble Codes", "Data List", "Active Test", and "Dual Data List", but no "Monitor" or "Utility". So I'm more or less stuck. Any ideas as to why I'm only seeing a limited set of capabilities?

A second potential issue is that I ran a cable diagnostic with Techstream and got "NG" for pin No.s 4 and 5 (K & L). I uploaded a photo of the screen showing this - sorry for the crumby quality. Does anyone know if 4(k) and 5(L) are required pins? If so, I'm guessing I'll need a new cable...?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hi Folks, so I got all set up with an old XP laptop, and a MVCI cabe + Techstream through the link that @@2011rav4 posted (thanks again!). The cable came with Techstream v12, but otherwise seems to be as described by the seller.

I am running into some problems though.

Techstream recognizes my vehicle, but doesn't give me some key options. For instance, after connecting, I don't have a "Health Check" button. In fact, I don't have any of the options that @JuneBug describes in the walkthrough. The only buttons I see are "TIS Function" and "Read Data Function". If I go ahead and drill into "Main Body" I'm again met with a slightly different set of options - I see "Trouble Codes", "Data List", "Active Test", and "Dual Data List", but no "Monitor" or "Utility". So I'm more or less stuck. Any ideas as to why I'm only seeing a limited set of capabilities?

A second potential issue is that I ran a cable diagnostic with Techstream and got "NG" for pin No.s 4 and 5 (K & L). I uploaded a photo of the screen showing this - sorry for the crumby quality. Does anyone know if 4(k) and 5(L) are required pins? If so, I'm guessing I'll need a new cable...?

Thanks for your help!
Watch this and see if it helps with installation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Watch this and see if it helps with installation.

How to install Toyota Techstream V12.00.127 - YouTube
Alright, so the first time I installed I did select "North America". I uninstalled and re-installed following the video instructions to the letter, including selecting "Europe" this time, and still do not see "Health Check" or "Utility". Has anyone run into this before?

EDIT: Actually, I don't see "Health Check" or "Utility" as options in the interface of the software in that install video either...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Alright, so the first time I installed I did select "North America". I uninstalled and re-installed following the video instructions to the letter, including selecting "Europe" this time, and still do not see "Health Check" or "Utility". Has anyone run into this before?

EDIT: Actually, I don't see "Health Check" or "Utility" as options in the interface of the software in that install video either...
First you need to SELECT NORTH AMERICA.. Not EUROPE If you live in the US.

On the startup page on the bottom does it say VIM_XHORSE-MVCI like the fist photo I uploaded? If not then on the front page goto SETUP tab on Side , then VIM select, Then interface setup use drop down box and select XHORSE-MVCI.

Next connect to VECHILE tab and let it load, put enter your car info. Then the next picture that will have the HEALTH CHECK tab on the top. If you dont see that then their must be something wrong with the cable.( Check and make sure there aren't any pins bent on the cable ). Connect the Seller for another one.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
First you need to SELECT NORTH AMERICA.. Not EUROPE If you live in the US.

On the startup page on the bottom does it say VIM_XHORSE-MVCI like the fist photo I uploaded? If not then on the front page goto SETUP tab on Side , then VIM select, Then interface setup use drop down box and select XHORSE-MVCI.

Next connect to VECHILE tab and let it load, put enter your car info. Then the next picture that will have the HEALTH CHECK tab on the top. If you dont see that then their must be something wrong with the cable.( Check and make sure there aren't any pins bent on the cable ). Connect the Seller for another one.
Thanks @@2011rav4! I did make sure that Techstream is using the XHORSE-MVCI driver rather than the "Techstream VIM" option.

From what you're saying, it looks like the Techstream software will behave differently (e.g. - not display HEALTH CHECK or UTILITY) if hooked up with a faulty MVCI cable vs. one that works properly. Is that accurate?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Thanks @@2011rav4 ! I did make sure that Techstream is using the XHORSE-MVCI driver rather than the "Techstream VIM" option.

From what you're saying, it looks like the Techstream software will behave differently (e.g. - not display HEALTH CHECK or UTILITY) if hooked up with a faulty MVCI cable vs. one that works properly. Is that accurate?

Yes . I never seen the error you had.. It looks like some of the pins are not working. I just checked everything on my car before I posted . Check and make sure you dont have any bent pins . I dont know what else to tell you. BTY the UTILITY page is AFTER the HEALTH CHECK PAGE

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes . I never seen the error you had.. It looks like some of the pins are not working. I just checked everything on my car before I posted . Check and make sure you dont have any bent pins . I dont know what else to tell you. BTY the UTILITY page is AFTER the HEALTH CHECK PAGE

Alright - I'll check the pins and contact the seller if they look off. I also found download links for TS versions 8 and 10... I may give those a shot as well if the pins look normal... maybe the copy of TS they sent me is corrupt.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Alright - I'll check the pins and contact the seller if they look off. I also found download links for TS versions 8 and 10... I may give those a shot as well if the pins look normal... maybe the copy of TS they sent me is corrupt.

Thanks for your help!

Contact the seller with the error before you change anything else. He might know what the error is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Contact the seller with the error before you change anything else. He might know what the error is.
Alright, I contacted the seller and unfortunately they weren't very helpful - simply told me to return the cable and software for a refund.

Instead, I went ahead and installed Techstream v8 (found an active link posted on another forum) and after hooking up to the vehicle, was presented with a "Health Check" option. Successfully ran a Health Check and was then able to drill into specific systems and see the "Utility" option. Programmed the new key with no problems!

Looks like the issue was rooted in the copy of Techstream v12 the seller sent - I'm guessing corrupt or not properly "licensed".

So, if anyone else purchases Techstream v12 and does not see "Health Check" or "Utility" options (buttons), try searching for a different copy of the software. If you're having trouble finding something that works, try here

If cross-posting to other forums is against the rules here, someone please let me know and I'll remove the link.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I went ahead and installed Techstream v8 (found an active link posted on another forum) and after hooking up to the vehicle, was presented with a "Health Check" option. Successfully ran a Health Check and was then able to drill into specific systems and see the "Utility" option. Programmed the new key with no problems!
Good to hear you got it working. Techstream is a good tool to have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Success on programming a 2014 RAV4 new fob!!

Thanks to 'winterwalker' for his tip on using an earlier version of Techstream. I too received v12.00.127 from ebay seller and the VIM_XHORSE-MVCI cable. Same issue: no 'Smart Key-Utility' or Health Check' function. Thanks to this thread, I uninstalled v12, downloaded TS 8.00.034, and installed on XP laptop. Only 'hack' is to modify IT3System.ini file with Editing TISFunction=1 to TISFunction=0. The'Utility' or Health Check' functions appear, and work fine. Only weird thing is that connecting to the vehicle shows it's a 2013 RAV4 vs 2014 RAV4 in reality, but caused no problems.(maybe the highest year of that older version?)

BTW, the cable driver worked fine.

I received my new OEM fob (part 89904-0R080) from amazon ($138) today. Programmed using the YouTube video 'Rav4 Smart Key Programming' user: 'Mark Kash'.

Went exactly as per plan!

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rav4

Sorry if I am repeating the question.

I have a 2015 Rav4 with a regular key and fob (not keyless).

I saw that ebay has those uncut keys for 42 dollars

and techstream is available for about 17.

Would I be able to program the key myself ?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Sorry if I am repeating the question.

I have a 2015 Rav4 with a regular key and fob (not keyless).

I saw that ebay has those uncut keys for 42 dollars

and techstream is available for about 17.

Would I be able to program the key myself ?
Yes . you should be able. Techstream works best on windows 32bit computer. Do you have the H chip? You can verify with seller compatibility with your model

Replacement Key for 2013-2015 Toyota Rav4 2014-2016 Prius C V Remote Fob H Chip | eBay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guys . received the cable and spftware . I installed everything but when I try to connect, the "connect to usb" icon displays and disappears. Any help with drivers is appreciated. The CD came with V12.00.127 software.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Guys . received the cable and spftware . I installed everything but when I try to connect, the "connect to usb" icon displays and disappears. Any help with drivers is appreciated. The CD came with V12.00.127 software.
Some people have had problems with v12 software. Read post 170 and 172.They had to go to v8.
you might find v10 might also work.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/2409233-post172.html

161 - 180 of 238 Posts