Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a used 2011 RAV4 V6 which has the navigation system, but no bluetooth.

Any recommendations on having handsfree bluetooth support for my phone?

The other thing I noticed is the navigation system is kind of crappy. My 5 year old GPS does better.

Planning to keep the car for atleast 5 years. Good idea to change the whole system? Has any one done it? Also, is there a way to control the upgraded navigation unit for phone calls from the steering wheel. I see some links with add on straps. Looking for ideas. thanks.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
For just Bluetooth, you use a handsfree kit such as
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-BlackBerry-Smartphones/dp/B004EHZUYG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1467750427&sr=8-7&keywords=bluetooth+aux

For GPS and Bluetooth, you could upgrade the whole unit to something like:
https://www.amazon.com/Pumpkin-Navigation-2006-2011-Support-Bluetooth/dp/B00MLMKBZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467750538&sr=8-1&keywords=pumpkin+rav4+gps

The unit about is a chinese unit running WinCE and Android/Linux mix. Newer units are pure Android and supposedly more customisable. Most of these units are NOT plug and play if you have the JBL subwoofer; you would need to splice some wires.

2-Din units from Kenwood and JVC are way better in functionality but you have to pay a price for it. I simply have one of those Chinese WINCE/Linux units; not the best but does the job.

Frankly, for the GPS, if you do not mind unplugging it everytime you park the vehicle, I would get a Garmin or TomTom with Lifetime map updates. If you have unlimited data, just use Waze from your cell phone. If you have no data, you could still use your phone with a software such as HERE Maps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For just Bluetooth, you use a handsfree kit such as
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-BlackBerry-Smartphones/dp/B004EHZUYG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1467750427&sr=8-7&keywords=bluetooth+aux

For GPS and Bluetooth, you could upgrade the whole unit to something like:
https://www.amazon.com/Pumpkin-Navigation-2006-2011-Support-Bluetooth/dp/B00MLMKBZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467750538&sr=8-1&keywords=pumpkin+rav4+gps

The unit about is a chinese unit running WinCE and Android/Linux mix. Newer units are pure Android and supposedly more customisable. Most of these units are NOT plug and play if you have the JBL subwoofer; you would need to splice some wires.

2-Din units from Kenwood and JVC are way better in functionality but you have to pay a price for it. I simply have one of those Chinese WINCE/Linux units; not the best but does the job.

Frankly, for the GPS, if you do not mind unplugging it everytime you park the vehicle, I would get a Garmin or TomTom with Lifetime map updates. If you have unlimited data, just use Waze from your cell phone. If you have no data, you could still use your phone with a software such as HERE Maps.
Thanks....I would really like to avoid plugging it in every time. I looked at the reviews and it seems like I need to connect to bluetooth every time I get into the car. Would like to avoid it. Also, will have to now split the cigratte lighter.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
A hands free kit will work just fine. We've had them since 2004........what's the problem? Blue Ant, Motorola, there are tons of them out there.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts
A hands free kit will work just fine. We've had them since 2004........what's the problem? Blue Ant, Motorola, there are tons of them out there.
I have one of those little Motorola units in my other car--the kind that clips onto the visor. It works OK, but I have to remember to turn it off then back on every time I get back into the car. Plus, since the speaker is so small, it doesn't have much volume. Also, I have to remember to charge the battery every so often.

With my BluLogic in the RAV, I start the engine and hear a beep, which means my phone is now paired. I can receive and place calls over the big speakers, play music from the phone, Pandora, Spotify, or whatever. It all works perfectly with Siri.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed the Blue Logic system in our 2011. Works OK.

BLU Logic Hands Free System Small Button 06-14 Multiple Fits
thanks....Seems what I am looking for except they dont have installation instructions for a RAV4.

when a call comes in would it show up on the existing navigation screen?

Also, assume I get complete bluetooth functionality like playing music through my phone and is there a limit to the number of phones it can pair?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
thanks....Seems what I am looking for except they dont have installation instructions for a RAV4.

when a call comes in would it show up on the existing navigation screen?

Also, assume I get complete bluetooth functionality like playing music through my phone and is there a limit to the number of phones it can pair?
I don't have the navigation system so can say anything about that functionality. I will play music and other sounds from the phone though.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The attached picture is what I found online for the back of the radio from a 2010 Navi Radio. The orange-boxed connector is where the GTA kit would connect to. The blue-boxed connectors are where the BLU Logic kit would connect to.

I had the GROM Audio kit before and the drawback for me was needing to have the radio on in order for BT audio to work since the connection to the back of the radio is through the auxiliary connector.

I returned it after getting the BLU Logic kit because the radio does NOT need to be on for BT audio to work. It's installed in-line with the power/audio wiring to the radio, so it can actually work on its own.

GTA/GROM Audio kit isn't dependent on non-JBL, JBL, Navi, etc. radio since it connects to the auxiliary port. The BLU Logic can only work with non-JBL and likely Navi radios, the best way to be certain is to take the radio out and look at the connections.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts