Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not tech savvy , I've been reading in the forums about adding speakers and such , my question is : I want to add 2 extra speakers maybe under the back seat or in the trunk , I should add a amp yes ? Is there one that plugs into the cigarette lighter instead of going through the battery , I want to try and do it myself . I know to open the door panels and connect the wires through the back speakers in the door. I have 6 by 9 pioneers from a previous car . I want to make boxe for them to put under the rear seats . And or can I use home speakers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My advice is, you know nothing about stereo systems, sound dynamics, or electronics and should never do your own installations or install based on your own ideas. Everything you said is ridiculous. Go to an audio shop.

Or, maybe you are a troll. In which case, all of your ideas are fantastic, please post pics of the result.

Sorry if that sounds rude but that's the best advice I can give given your questions and plans.

·
Super Moderator
11,112 Posts
No put down intended but..... Your statement is correct, you are not tech savvy. Your questions make it obvious that you have no business trying to do any installation or speaker hookup work at all. Have it done properly or give it up. Even if you succeed it's going to sound like caca.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mary, I'd recommend doing one of two options.

1. Take it to a professional audio installer. OR
2. Just replace the stock speakers

I replaced my stock speakers and have been very happy with the results. If you decided to do it yourself, I'd recommend Crutchfield (google it). They have step-by-step instructions for pretty much any vehicle. And a 1-800 number if you have questions. If you are doing a simple speaker swap, it's not rocket science. Just use Crutchfield's selection tool to see what fits. Your old 6x9's will not fit without some type of fabrication. And small speaker boxes never sound as good as a rear shelf mount in a sedan. I'd also recommend going to a Best Buy and listening to a few speakers. I prefer speakers that are brighter, whereas some folks prefer a bassier sound. Everyone is different. Lastly, sometimes Best Buy offers free installs if you buy the speakers from them. Anyway, lots of options. Good luck on your project.

Also, putting anything under the rear seats might keep the rear seats from folding flat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts