Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Base 2.5L that I'm installing an aftermarket stereo into. I bought a donor steering wheel off ebay that had the steering wheel controls on it. Transplanted those controls onto my steering wheel. Tried the SWC with the factory radio: The display button works, but the stereo controls didn't.

I go to install the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 along with the aftermarket stereo, and come to find out the pins the ASWC-1 wants me to tap into on the factory harness aren't connected to any wires. Pins 6,7,8 on this 20-pin connector. Only pin 3 has a wire connected in the top row. Pins 1,2 and 4-10 are not populated:

Do I need to dig back into the harness and find the wires? Are the wires even there? Did Toyota manufacture different harnesses for different trim levels? This is a bummer. Can I just run new wires from where the factory SWC plug into at the steering wheel? I think they use a resistive interface?

Did some searching before posting this, but I couldn't find anybody who had questions about adding factory SWC and not finding the wires in the harness. Anybody know how to proceed?

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
The problem is you don't have the proper spiral cable (clock spring) going from the steering wheel to the head unit. The base models only had enough conductors for the airbag, cruise, horn, and display button. You probably need the spiral cable from a Limited.

Have you looked at these threads:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/90787-diy-adding-steering-wheel-buttons.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/73946-2009-rav4-base-steering-wheel-audio-controls.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/124210-changing-clock-spring.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tackled this on my 2011 Rav4 base this past weekend. The other threads cover the process pretty well. The one thing I can add is how I added the 3 wires to the connector that plugs into the spiral cable at the steering wheel. I used three wires that I cut out of an old USB breakout plate from an old computer. The USB plate had multiple cables that ran from the female USB connector back to the mother board. I was able to pull the three of the pins/wires out of the connector to use for this. The wires were only about 12" long so I soldered additional wire to them to have enough length to get to the back of the radio. The one tip I can offer is how to open the plug at the steering wheel to add the 3 wires. There is a retainer clip that needs to be popped up/out to allow the wires to be inserted into the plug. There are small openings on both sides of the plug that I used a dental pick to pry/pop the clip up enough to add my wires. Here are a couple of pictures that should help. I did not add the wires to the harness behind the radio since we bought the vehicle used and it already had an aftermarket stereo. I will just connect the wires I added to an aftermarket steering wheel control adapter (Idatalink ADS-MSW or Axxess ASWC-1).

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the update! I wound up trading the 2011 for a 2018 without having finished the SWC swap. Did you wind up having to swap out the clockspring? Glad it's working for you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the update! I wound up trading the 2011 for a 2018 without having finished the SWC swap. Did you wind up having to swap out the clockspring? Glad it's working for you!

Clockspring did not need to be swapped out. Only needed to add the three wires to the harness and swap the controls onto the steering wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts