Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been searching for a few hours now and can't seem to find a direct answer to my question, so please forgive me if its been asked before!

I have a 4cyl 4wd 2011 RAV4. I purchased a trailer that weighs 1,800 lbs. it was advertised as 1,400 but that turned out to be wrong.

I need an extra 500lbs in capacity, so, is it possible to add on a towing package since I don't have it?

Thanks!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
No, the towing prep package was only offered on the V6, not the I4. I suppose you could install a larger radiator, fans, transmission cooler, and alternator, but that would not give you the extra horsepower you would need. I think the 2.5L I4 would probably have no problem pulling an 1800 lb. trailer...in fact the tow rating is much higher in other countries than it is here. The reason? Lawyers.

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Unless you try to tow up mountains at 80mph on a 100F day you'll have no problem with 1800#, at least not mechanical ones. Some members here get concerned about legal problems with being "overweight" in case of an accident so drive so you don't get in one.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
1800 pounds...empty?

You have to include whatever cargo you add as well to the final total.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm, the weight without gear and food is 1,800. And three people in the actual car. It pulls great so far, I can't even feel it behind me except on start up. Im just trying to get the car legally closer to 2,000-2,500 lbs towing capacity, so I guess I can add in all the options everyone has listed to do that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The trailer also has electric brakes, so I'm getting that installed on my RAV4 to help with stopping the extra weight.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Im just trying to get the car legally closer to 2,000-2,500 lbs towing capacity, so I guess I can add in all the options everyone has listed to do that?
I don't believe legally it's possible to do that on a vehicle that has never been rated that high by the manufacturer in your country.

You can make it safer (e.g. with electric brakes on the trailer) and you can make it easier on your vehicle (e.g. transmission cooler at the very least, to try to mitigate expensive repairs due to overstressing the vehicle), but you can't make it legal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not legal because it's a 4 cyl? It has 4wd for cripe's sake. This is discouraging. I may have to look into upgrading my RAV4 to a V6, then. It's a damn shame.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
It's not legal? Who's going to pull you over, the towing police? Hell, stick a V6 badge on the grille, who will know the difference? Unless you get into an accident I suppose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have the best of luck and I don't want to risk my house/one year old's future if I get into an accident and am sued to high hell. Car insurance companies will do ANYTHING to try and not pony up. I don't think overall, it's worth it. I was just hoping that I could add the towing options and bring my car up to a higher capacity, but it's just not gonna work out.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
I don't have the best of luck and I don't want to risk my house/one year old's future if I get into an accident and am sued to high hell. Car insurance companies will do ANYTHING to try and not pony up. I don't think overall, it's worth it. I was just hoping that I could add the towing options and bring my car up to a higher capacity, but it's just not gonna work out.
Even if you did the modifications, it would be up to you to prove in court that your aftermarket mods did indeed bring the towing capacity up. Without factory equipment and specs, it would be almost impossible to prove.

·
Registered
244 Posts
In The Netherlands the specs for a 4.3 RAV4 (2006-2011) 112kW Linea Sol, 4WD you can tow max. 1500kg (braked)

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
In The Netherlands the specs for a 4.3 RAV4 (2006-2011) 112kW Linea Sol, 4WD you can tow max. 1500kg (braked)
That's over 3300 lbs. compared to 1500 lbs. for the USA. And the Euro version is shorter and lighter, plus 112kW equals 150 hp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, just traded my baby ('11 4cyl) up for a '11 RAV4 with V6 and tow package. All it needs is a hitch and I'm good to go! 3,500 lbs!!

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Well, just traded my baby ('11 4cyl) up for a '11 RAV4 with V6 and tow package. All it needs is a hitch and I'm good to go! 3,500 lbs!!
And some wiring and a brake controller.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Congratulations!

:thumbs_up:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts