Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was mentioned in another thread but I want to create a new thread specifically about this product and see if anyone is willing to test it out. The concept is pretty simple. It works with a factory head unit that supports Carplay (which is all 2019 RAV4 models in North America). Plugging this USB dongle into the USB connector, it will link up to your iPhone by wifi and will give you wireless Carplay capability. It's plug and play.

It is sold through the website Carplay2air (https://carplay2air.com/), but there seems to be another brand that sells a similar product on Amazon with the brand Carlinkit.

I also did a quick search on Aliexpress and it seems there is a similar product that adds Carplay to a Android head unit, but I didn't find anything exactly like Carplay2air.

Just wondering if anyone has this dongle or is willing to be the guinea pig to test it out.

·
Premium Member
7,799 Posts
The 78 5-star one liner reviews on Carplay2Air is a big red flag, yells fake reviews to me. If function and display quality are similar to the Carlinkit, it's not for me, the Carlinkit Amazon.com critical reviews say no way for me. I"m happy just using a magnetic USB cable.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Looks like someone on another forums tried it for Wireless Carplay and it actually worked. I am very interested for the wired Android Auto compatibility.

Ultimately they did return it though due to a delay in the audio for calls...curious if wired AA would have the same issue.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd be more interested at a lower price point. I think 160 for what it is, is quite a lot. On Amazon, all I can seem to find are units that work only with Android head units.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dongles that add Carplay capability to factory Android head units have been in the market for some time. But the dongle that adds wireless Carplay to a factory Carplay head unit is relatively new. This is causing some confusing when I tried to search Aliexpress for the newer dongle. I'd give it a few months and you'll probably see more generic options available.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Give it a few more years and wireless Carplay will likely be common on all vehicles, not just luxury offerings as it is now.
I don't see much of a use for wireless carplay since if you are using it for navigation or what not, you phone will not be able to keep up with the battery drain even if its on the wireless charger. It's not a deal breaker to me not having wireless carplay but I can see how not having Android auto would be fore some

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see much of a use for wireless carplay since if you are using it for navigation or what not, you phone will not be able to keep up with the battery drain even if its on the wireless charger. It's not a deal breaker to me not having wireless carplay but I can see how not having Android auto would be fore some
It's just a convenience thing. I find if I'm making short trips, it's not convenient having to plug and unplug the phone to keep having Spotify playing (for example). The magnetic connector helps in that it makes it easier to plug & unplug the phone but it is nice to be able to get into the car and have CarPlay automatically connect to the headunit without having to take out the phone.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just resting my explanation of the red flags of this from another thread
  • The carplay2air.com reviews are 100% fake. The domain had only existed/registered since 10/22, yet most reviews are from before then. It's also a Brooklyn,ny phone contact for a Delaware town in a shopping center that closest that comes up for that address is a software company. They say they do a bunch of auto parts sites but nothing else pops up from their parent name. Also half the posts that mention it or said they tried it occurred 10/23, one day after it existed. Only person on a forum that didn't seem fake was berserker from the stinger forum, unless he is the one who came up with the idea. All others were newly created accounts. I surely wouldn't trust the site even if there is a working product there... Too many red flags...
Buyer beware
I agree that the site carplay2air.com is suspicious. They seem to be just another reseller of the Carlinkit dongle, with a fancy/polished website. The Carlinit dongle is available for sale on Amazon.com/.ca so if you want to try it out with while protected by Amazon's buyers protection, that option is available.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My current vehicle has wireless CarPlay and it's very convenient. Coupled with an Anker fast wireless charger (which is a terrific air vent phone holder), it has spoiled me. CarPlay displays the map while my iPhone displays directions, all while the iPhone is being charged.

With this combination, I never have to think about connecting my iPhone.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My current vehicle has wireless CarPlay and it's very convenient. Coupled with an Anker fast wireless charger (which is a terrific air vent phone holder), it has spoiled me. CarPlay displays the map while my iPhone displays directions, all while the iPhone is being charged.

With this combination, I never have to think about connecting my iPhone.
That sounds great. Hopefully something legit & reliable can add wireless Carplay to the RAV4.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have 2019 just upgraded to aa and the new microphone atvthe topp as well but i use iphone i dont really need the aa but i just did it

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have 2019 just upgraded to aa and the new microphone atvthe topp as well but i use iphone i dont really need the aa but i just did it
Did you have the upgrade for andriod auto done at a dealer in the United states? When you contact Toyota they send back there is no upgrade for the 2019, and if you don't mide me asking how much did the upgrade run? Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
no i didnt upgrade the head unite of the 2019 but what i meent is my son totaled my 2019 we got 2020 sorry i should mention

·
Registered
214 Posts
In my younger years, I got taken advantage of by a dealer and got way upside down on a Corolla. Luckily I had the GAP insurance and $0 deductible insurance. Wife totaled it and it was wiped away. She learned how to drive better, and took care of debt. Very productive drive lol.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts