Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this yet? Can't seem to find any write ups on the 5th gens yet. Would like to add this in my 2019 Adventure. Appreciate any insight or links, thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice vid, however I'm really looking for a 5th gen write up as the interior is quite different. Thanks
Someone found the part on eBay for $225, it's only available in either orange (adventure), or brown (limited): Mods (radio , foglights)

If you order the part from the dealer it's over $500.

Follow the tutorial in this thread (Footwell Lights) to disassemble the center console and you'll find the wires for hook up as long as you don't have the LE. (The LE appears to be missing a lot of the wires from the higher level trims.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone found the part on eBay for $225, it's only available in either orange (adventure), or brown (limited): Mods (radio , foglights)

If you order the part from the dealer it's over $500.

Follow the tutorial in this thread (Footwell Lights) to disassemble the center console and you'll find the wires for hook up as long as you don't have the LE. (The LE appears to be missing a lot of the wires from the higher level trims.)

This helps tremendously! Thanks! (y)

·
Registered
121 Posts
This helps tremendously! Thanks! (y)
I made a mistake referencing the thread, the correct one is this one:

^ Post #13 has a good walkthrough on disassembling the center console to get to the LED above the wireless charging area. The tray piece comes out during that walkthrough and you could replace it with the wireless charger.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made a mistake referencing the thread, the correct one is this one:

^ Post #13 has a good walkthrough on disassembling the center console to get to the LED above the wireless charging area. The tray piece comes out during that walkthrough and you could replace it with the wireless charger.

Thanks! After reading that thread it looks like its possible to add console lighting? Found another mod to look into! LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks! After reading that thread it looks like its possible to add console lighting? Found another mod to look into! LOL
Yes, I followed the button lighting on the driver's door, the footwell lighting, and the cubby lighting in the middle over the tray/charging port.

Technically the wiring is available for the cupholder as well, but I hardly notice the footwell/cubby lighting at all (yes, it's "on" at night), I am not sure I would even notice the cup holder lighting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Less expensive cordless charging method, just set cordless charger in console and charge away. 43C93C26-AF52-458B-86DE-E8B1BD7339C0.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
IMO a Qi charger isn't necessary if you use Carplay which also charges while in use. I find the OEM Qi charger lacking, very sensitive to position of the phone, starts charging then quits charging too often, same for our '18 Prius Prime Qi charger, both with iphone 8.

·
Registered
164 Posts
US $102.78 27% Off | Car Qi Wireless Charger Fast Wireless Charging Car Phone Holder For Toyota RAV4 RAV 4 2019 2020
I wonder what the wire harness is for in the AliExpress version? I believe there's already a harness wire under the the phone tray that is meant to plug into Toyota wireless charging pad. I can't tell if that AliExpress version has a port or you're supposed to plug the two wires together. Seems like it would be too much wire slack.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have had the same experience with a Samsung phone in a case. The factory Qi wireless charger is clunky at best. It may work better with a phone outside of a case but who is going to do that every time you use it. Perhaps an aftermarket is better in this case. I would be disappointed if I spent $$$ on the factory charger.

IMO a Qi charger isn't necessary if you use Carplay which also charges while in use. I find the OEM Qi charger lacking, very sensitive to position of the phone, starts charging then quits charging too often, same for our '18 Prius Prime Qi charger, both with iphone 8.

·
Super Moderator
9,532 Posts
I'm using two of these Qi charger/phone holders: 10W Qi Car Wireless Charger 2in1 Gravity Bracket For iPhone 11 XS Samsung S10 S9 | eBay
One in my F250 and the other in my '18 Accord. They worked well with my Galaxy S7 in its case and now with my S10 altho I did remove some little rubber pieces to make the thicker case fit. While you can buy the tray style that comes with the higher trim Accords IMO they're pretty useless since you can't use the phone and lose the storage space. I'm using a 6" USB cable plugged into the outlet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for the heads up climbingkevin. Hmm, I guess the extra wire is to splice into the power of the 12V/USB port.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I heard the oem wireless charging shelf is finicky. The phone has to be placed just right. So I just put in a standard wireless charger in the passenger shelf and routed it through the glove box to the hole where the light should be on an upgraded rav4 above the center shelf.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Received the one from AliExpress.

Again, I did not take photos of the installation process. Essentially you:

1. Pop the trim up from around the shifter. I actually did this without any pry tools just using my fingers between the old center tray and the shifter plastic.
2. Transfer over all of the orange clips.
3. Unplug all cabling.
4. Remove the USB port and transfer it over.
5. The 12v power plug has to come out of the tray. This gave me the most difficult time. There's a small plastic tab inside that must be pushed toward the outside, and then the metal part slides out of the sleeve/ring. The ring is transferred over to the new tray first, and then the metal part of the plug is pushed into the center.
6. Reconnect all cables. I zip tied all of the cables in place afterwards.

So a few more comments:

1. The tray is black not brown/orange like on the premium or adventure models.
2. There is no texture to the tray but there is a little bump that keeps the phone aligned. It appears to work fine for my Pixel 4 XL. Have not tested it with other phones.
3. The power comes from the 12V power plug and it clicks in-line between the vehicle harness and the 12V power plug. There is separate plug on the wire bundle that I believe is for the official wireless charging tray part, but this is completely unused.
4. The power harness for the wireless charging tray is extra long, like 2-3 feet longer than it needs to be. 6 inches of cable would have been plenty. There's also a fuse on the harness.
5. Install time should be about 5-10 minutes if you can disassemble the 12V power plug quickly. There was a video of a guy installing it on the product listing from the AliExpress seller. I generally do not post external links (especially product links where people are expected to spend money), but if you find the product on Ali, it should either have the video, or you can ask the seller for the video.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts