Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oh, one more thing to mention about the AliExpress wireless charging. It is always "on" right after turning the key.

I am not sure what the stock behavior is, but there is no switch memory. It is not possible to switch it off and have it stay off for the next restart of the vehicle. It will turn on when the vehicle is started and then you can manually turn it off if you are not using it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Received the one from AliExpress.

Again, I did not take photos of the installation process. Essentially you:

1. Pop the trim up from around the shifter. I actually did this without any pry tools just using my fingers between the old center tray and the shifter plastic.
2. Transfer over all of the orange clips.
3. Unplug all cabling.
4. Remove the USB port and transfer it over.
5. The 12v power plug has to come out of the tray. This gave me the most difficult time. There's a small plastic tab inside that must be pushed toward the outside, and then the metal part slides out of the sleeve/ring. The ring is transferred over to the new tray first, and then the metal part of the plug is pushed into the center.
6. Reconnect all cables. I zip tied all of the cables in place afterwards.

View attachment 150115

So a few more comments:

1. The tray is black not brown/orange like on the premium or adventure models.
2. There is no texture to the tray but there is a little bump that keeps the phone aligned. It appears to work fine for my Pixel 4 XL. Have not tested it with other phones.
3. The power comes from the 12V power plug and it clicks in-line between the vehicle harness and the 12V power plug. There is separate plug on the wire bundle that I believe is for the official wireless charging tray part, but this is completely unused.
4. The power harness for the wireless charging tray is extra long, like 2-3 feet longer than it needs to be. 6 inches of cable would have been plenty. There's also a fuse on the harness.
5. Install time should be about 5-10 minutes if you can disassemble the 12V power plug quickly. There was a video of a guy installing it on the product listing from the AliExpress seller. I generally do not post external links (especially product links where people are expected to spend money), but if you find the product on Ali, it should either have the video, or you can ask the seller for the video.

Was the existing plug not used because it wasnt a direct fit to latch properly?

·
Super Moderator
9,532 Posts
Well, IMO this is all well & good but if my phone is where I can't see & use it while driving I don't get the point. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Was the existing plug not used because it wasnt a direct fit to latch properly?
The existing plug isn't used because the OEM part must have some intelligence - There's several pins on that harness (at least 5 pins, but I didn't count.) The AliExpress part is simple, just a power and ground from the 12V port.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, IMO this is all well & good but if my phone is where I can't see & use it while driving I don't get the point. Am I missing something?
Probably the part where Toyota specifically placed the wireless QI charging down there so that you are not using your phone while driving. They obviously prefer you to use Android Auto or CarPlay.

·
Super Moderator
9,532 Posts
Probably the part where Toyota specifically placed the wireless QI charging down there so that you are not using your phone while driving. They obviously prefer you to use Android Auto or CarPlay.
Okay that makes sense but I use mine for maps in my 2001 F250 w/o Android Auto so I have it on a door mounted Qi stand. I don't think my 2018 Base Accord Hybrid has it either so I installed another on a vent stand.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can't tell if you are joking or confused. You don't understand the point of a wireless charger if you can't see your phone?

·
Super Moderator
9,532 Posts
I can't tell if you are joking or confused. You don't understand the point of a wireless charger if you can't see your phone?
I use my phone for navigation on 1000+ mile trips so if I can't see it it may as well be charging in the glove box, wirelessly or cabled.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use my phone for navigation on 1000+ mile trips so if I can't see it it may as well be charging in the glove box, wirelessly or cabled.
To be clear, the actual use case is that most people aren't making 1000 mile trips daily. In fact to use Android Auto/CarPlay the phone must be connected by cable.

Wireless charging means the phone is not cabled and is charging on the charging tray. So the use case for the wireless charger is only for non-navigation use while driving in familiar areas. (Example: Running errands around town, dropping the kids off at school.) Times where you want to charge between places, and you just want to place the phone in the tray when getting in to the car and grab the phone quickly when getting out.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,532 Posts
Sometimes I use Waze for police & traffic info even when I'm driving locally. Saved me hours the other day when a wreck (which turned out had serious injuries) completely shut down I-95 two exits short of my normal one. My detour cost me three minutes instead of likely three hours. When I and a few others who must have been GPSing too got back on there was absolutely no traffic getting thru behind us.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts