·
Registered
2,494 Posts
My rav4 failed test and is up for repair
Dealer wants additonal $1000 for waterpump plugs and head cleaning

Should i do just the water pump?

Or skip it all

Car has 165k miles in it
Assume you're talking about the oil burning 4cyl. If it ran good up till now, other than the oil burning, I'd pass on any cylinder head work. It's generally recommended that you do the water pump and any related parts while it's out. Plugs, yes, if they haven't been changed lately.
Sounds to me the dealer is trying to pad the bill, so I'd be very careful. Since they have everything apart anyway, shouldn't be much more than an additional charge for the parts, no labor.
Please do a search on here for this issue, there's lots of good info available.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree. Just water pump work unless you've replaced it within the last 75,000 miles or so. Spark plugs can be changed out easily by yourself if you want to go that route and save some money.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assume you're talking about the oil burning 4cyl. If it ran good up till now, other than the oil burning, I'd pass on any cylinder head work. It's generally recommended that you do the water pump and any related parts while it's out. Plugs, yes, if they haven't been changed lately.
Sounds to me the dealer is trying to pad the bill, so I'd be very careful. Since they have everything apart anyway, shouldn't be much more than an additional charge for the parts, no labor.
Please do a search on here for this issue, there's lots of good info available.
yup 4 cyl oil burning

I can do the plugs myself when I get it back from the repair

waterpump they are asking $200 part charge, no labor

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. Just water pump work unless you've replaced it within the last 75,000 miles or so. Spark plugs can be changed out easily by yourself if you want to go that route and save some money.
its the original water pump

1 - 6 of 6 Posts