Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2013 Le two weeks ago and the dealer only had one key with the car. I need to get another key for my wife. According to the manual there is (type A) two Master Keys and a Valet Key, (Type B)has Two Master Keys. Why is there two options? I am trying to see if I could get a transponder key instead of paying $300+ for another Master Key. Has anyone bought a transponder key and had it keyed and programmed successfully?

·
Registered
36 Posts
i would assume the Type A is the H key ignition type, where u have 2 keys with transponders and one "service" key without the transponder

type B is the keyless entry type, comes with two keys and a serial number for the cutout.

and by transponder keys i mean the ones where u click button and it unlocks / locks the vehicle

·
Registered
97 Posts
The U.S. market vehicles came with two Master keys. These are the keys with the remote keyless entry buttons in the plastic key-head area. In Canada, they sold the car with these keys plus the Valet key. The valet key has no remote keyless button but does have the H transponder chip and can start the engine.

You can obtain a chipped valet key from any dealer and have it cut and programmed to the RAV4. Cost will vary but typically the full U.S. retail on the key from the parts department is $45 and then the service department charges to cut and program the transponder chip to the RAV4. These can vary greatly.

You can also do it yourself if you have the TechStream TIS S/W and USB to OBD2 mini VCI cable. The H keys are available on EBay for under $30.

Think I would go back to the selling dealer and request an addition Master key for free as it should have been included with the purchase. Hopefully they will do the right thing. If not request a special deal / price on another key.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I purchased a 2013 Le two weeks ago and the dealer only had one key with the car. I need to get another key for my wife. According to the manual there is (type A) two Master Keys and a Valet Key, (Type B)has Two Master Keys. Why is there two options? I am trying to see if I could get a transponder key instead of paying $300+ for another Master Key. Has anyone bought a transponder key and had it keyed and programmed successfully?
you should use the search function on this site or google and you will find tons of info...the short answer is that you can get a new master key for under 50 or valet type key for under 20...happy reading...

·
Registered
51 Posts
When we bought ours, they couldn't find the 2nd key so they made a new one for us at no charge. A week later they found it and now we have 3. It would hurt to ask the dealer for a 2nd copy since they are supposed to come with 2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the problem, I'm getting the run around from the dealer about getting one. They don't want absorb the cost of the key. The Used Car manager told me that there cost is the same as what I would pay(300+).

I have seen directions on the net for programming yourself, without software. Is this the case or do you need the software from Toyota?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The best price I could find for "H" keys was $104 for four (including shipping):
Toyota Standard Transponder Key : H Chip (Non-Valet) / 89785-0D170 / (non logo) - KeyNET.com
Wow. I see they lowered their price from $26 to $22 now. I only wanted three (for a total of five working keys), but bought the fourth for free shipping and a spare.

I called two locksmiths. One said the keys were hardened, and he would have to change his cutting wheels, and said it would cost $$$. Another said, probably $2 to $4 each to cut them. I went to the second, and paid $8 to cut all four keys.

I bought the OBD-II interface cable and software for $19 here:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0CXVPY

I spent some time reading up on Techstream software, and spent maybe 10 to 15 minutes actually registering the keys to the RAV4. Note that you have to juggle the keys around and you only have so many seconds to insert, remove, and rotate the keys or you have to start over. It is very easy to drop a key while doing the juggling!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went to a dealer near my house to get a key made and I found out a huge surprise. I had the service dept check out a squeak I have noticed. The service person told me the squeak was from a broken shroud around the radiator fan. They told me the car had been in an accident because of that and dents in the heat cover in back of the radiator. They noted that the car had been in an accident on the ticket. Carfax and Auto Check showed no accidents. The previous owner did not put the accident through insurance apparently. The car is a Certified Pre-Owned Toyota. Should have the tech noticed this and disclosed it when the inspection was done before I bought it? Obviously I was not told any of this when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
dealers are crooks...if you're not car savvy then always have a certified mechanic check a possible purchase over...many times dealers will get cars from a lease or at auction that has body damage and they will fix it themselves...by doing this Carfax will never know and you will end up buying a previously damaged car...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts