Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for adjustable coil-overs for my 1997 4 door 4wd, and I can't find anything. I've found 2001 and up... Anyone know if they even exist? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Caldina st215 or Gt4 front coilovers will work for a Rav, rears are unknown fairly unknown, ke70 rear shocks will work for lowering.

I do remember seeing some on here: http://www.importmonster.com.au/yahoo?cat=26318&term=rav4+sxa10r&page=2#26318 have a browse through there, they were some obscure Japanese brand I've never heard of.

Hey, thanks so much for your help! I'm kinda new to the car world, not sure what works and what doesn't. I found this, would this fit? https://www.ebay.com/itm/371666690171

Also found these, they're used, which I don't really mind. Just wanna make sure they would fit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/301983869411

I just want to be able to adjust them. Again, thanks so much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fronts will fit, rears won't unless they are modified by welding an eyelet to the bottom, you would likely be required to remove the springs and get some lowering springs to suit the Rav. Also not certain if the rear shocks top mount holes are the same. Will have to investigate some more.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fronts will fit, rears won't unless they are modified by welding an eyelet to the bottom, you would likely be required to remove the springs and get some lowering springs to suit the Rav. Also not certain if the rear shocks top mount holes are the same. Will have to investigate some more.

What is the name of the kind of shocks that would be used to lower the car? They do make shocks for the rav4, but not sure if you need a certain type for the lowering and raising of the vehicle. What did you use to Lower your rav? I was thinking of just putting on lowering springs, but then the winters would be quite brutal lol.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not possible on the rear due to the suspension design.
Springs and dampers are separate, springs are short with very little space to work with and damper mounts aren't strong enough to take a combined coilover spring/damper.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not possible on the rear due to the suspension design.
Springs and dampers are separate, springs are short with very little space to work with and damper mounts aren't strong enough to take a combined coilover spring/damper.

Are you saying it's not possible to lower the back end? Or it's not possible to lower it with coilovers. As in it would have to be with springs. Sorry for so many questions I know squat about suspension lol. I appreciate your help. :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
You can't lower the back using coilovers. You can do it using shorter springs and to do it properly, you really need shorter dampers too.
Bilstein make shorter dampers, B8 and I think KYB too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can't lower the back using coilovers. You can do it using shorter springs and to do it properly, you really need shorter dampers too.
Bilstein make shorter dampers, B8 and I think KYB too.

So the only way to be able to adjust the height would be to replace the springs with bigger or smaller ones? Since the back can't use coilovers, just springs.

·
Registered
409 Posts
So the only way to be able to adjust the height would be to replace the springs with bigger or smaller ones? Since the back can't use coilovers, just springs.
Yep, that's it. I've seen kits of shorter springs for sale.

Other than possibly air suspension used on some lowriders and Japanese 'stanced' cars. There still won't be anything off the shelf, even if possible, so would be a custom set up, so $$$.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Because the Ravs do not technically use a coil over shock suspension set up on the rear, only the shock part of a coilover will fit in the rear then you will have to get a lowered spring to suit, but as said, the rear can not be lowered too much otherwise you will be sitting on the bump stops, I heard that toyota ke70 shocks have a 2 inch shorter stroke than the ravs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts