Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 09 4wd v6 with third row. 20,000 miles. My back brakes are disk. The parking break is weak and I'm unsure how it works. To keep it on a hill I need to pull it all the way ( maxed out). Is the parking brake in the disk caliper or is there a drum break with the disk brake? With only 20k I can't imagine needing new pads. I could use a diagram of the back brakes w/ parking brake assembly. I thought I had seen one on this form but have yet to find it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ravaboy, your writeup was good but not relevant because e brakes require a make up in the rear. By having a cleaning and readjusting. What you did is great for the cable slack when the e brake is on. I am surprised at the amount of work you did and I for one thank you folr the show and tell.

The answers posted about parking with an automatic are very surprising. It is a must to use the e brake at all times when parked. The e brake holds the car in place, that's its job. The parking pawl in the auto transmission is to stop gear rotation, but along with the braking frictional force of the e brake.

When only the parking pawl is used there is a chance that it can break lose when someone knocks into the parked car, a busted pawl is now a danger to the transmission. When broke the car can move. When the e brake is applied it should hold the car steady whether up or downhill.

Using the e brake gets you into the right habit, using the e brake will allow it to be free, not using it the cable(s) rust and in time the e brake is stuck...on or off. And this could cause a non functioning car.

So use your e brake when parking and adjust and clean and lubricate the e brake system as a whole at least 2x a year. A functioning e brake can be used in an emergency but not if its corroded and jammed. It just mat save a bad situation whether you are driving or parked nowhere near the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 09 4wd v6 with third row. 20,000 miles. My back brakes are disk. The parking break is weak and I'm unsure how it works. To keep it on a hill I need to pull it all the way ( maxed out). Is the parking brake in the disk caliper or is there a drum break with the disk brake? With only 20k I can't imagine needing new pads. I could use a diagram of the back brakes w/ parking brake assembly. I thought I had seen one on this form but have yet to find it.
Can someone update this thread to show how to properly adjust the Parking Break on the newer cars that rotors on all wheels?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Can someone update this thread to show how to properly adjust the Parking Break on the newer cars that rotors on all wheels?
As far as I know, all of the RAV4.3s have both rotors and drums in the back. The drums are for the parking brake only. This thread is useful for how to get into the console more than how to adjust the parking brakes

For parking brake adjustment see http://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0Toyota%20RAV4%20Repair%20Manual/Parking%20Brake/Parking%20Brake%20Assembly/039001.pdf

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/91800-parking-brake-shoe-adjustment-views-please.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
:thumbs_up:
thanks for the input guys, any comments and suggestions are welcome, i got no problem with that, we are here to learn and teach. i know we all started as noobs, and failures are just doors to accomplishments once overcome
so i decided to update my posting earlier. so this afternoon i removed my rear tires to really adjust the parking brake, hope this pics shows how its supposed to be done

first i loosened the adjusting nuts on the lever to its orig settings, then removed both rear wheels.
i removed the rubber plug to reveal a hole which you can adjust through it the star wheels.
sorry bout the last pic, i was trying to make a shot at the star wheel adjuster but unfortunately i dont have a mini camera,
i found it by rotating the disc so that the hole is in the bottom part, i used a flathead screw driver to push the star.
adjustment is like adjusting a rear drum brake car but the hole is in the front facing you not on the back like most old cars.
i was into hondas b4 i got this car their parking brake was self adjusting so i did not have problems with the parking i just have to adjust the slack on the cable at the lever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I fixed my hand breaks upon what you said here today 16 Oct. 2012...even my RAV4 is 2009 but the brake system is similar to 2006, what you put the photo. Thank you so much it was so helpfull.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
wow i never thought this little how to of mine helped a lot i glad it did, its been a long time since i logged in here and check out some threads.
so far my e-brake's been holding up fine so far at 66k, i might check, clean and adjust, might update and post some pics too, if you guys got any tips or suggestion im willing to help out as much as i can,. .

·
Registered
23 Posts
wow i never thought this little how to of mine helped a lot i glad it did, its been a long time since i logged in here and check out some threads.
so far my e-brake's been holding up fine so far at 66k, i might check, clean and adjust, might update and post some pics too, if you guys got any tips or suggestion im willing to help out as much as i can,. .
Yes, your post really helped me to fix my hand break. I really thank you, otherwise i had to take my car to a service center to spend a lott of time and money, so thanks a lottttttt. for the friends who want to do the same, the position of the hole on the drum should be between 5 and 6 o'clock to have the access to the star shape nut then with the tip of screwdriver surely you will find it. if you have a tourch light you will find it easier then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good job - Thanks

What a great writeup on removing the center console. My wife set her wedding ring on the console and it fell through the slot in the boot for the parking brake lever. Gone! With your help on removing the console I managed to find the ring. It traveled down one of the support structure tunnels half way to the door and was not visible without removing the console, seat and pulling the carpet back and then using a dental mirror through one the holes in the tunnel to spot it. I'm sure the dealer would not have found it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
While trying to loosen the nuts on the cable in there, I dropped one of my small wrenches and it disappeared on me. I don't know when I will ever get to it! :wall

·
Registered
310 Posts
Again.....good write up Ravaboy!

I adjusted the rear hand brake shoes on my 08 Rav Limited with little success. I also don't like the excessive amount of "clicks" before the shoes grab and they don't seem to hold very well either.
Since I was maxed out at the handle ,I decided to adjust the rear shoes by removing the rotor and sliding it back on until it was getting difficult to, then rotate the rotor to make sure there was no drag. (I've done this to many vehicles) Even with a tightly set shoe there is still too much movement in that handle for me and it doesn't hold the vehicle still on a hill. Whether you adjust the star wheel through the peep hole and back off, or remove the rotor and re-install,the result is the same. Adjust to get slight rubbing then back off a few clicks until no rubbing.
Soooo.....I will have to investigate whether I have a cable adjustment along the brake cable somewhere or I might have to do the RAVABOY method. Perhaps the cable has stretched , who knows, but I will get the slack out of the cable.
PS.....When I adjust my Corolla's rear brake shoes , it takes the slack out of the e-brake handle. That's one of the ways I can tell if the rear shoes need adjusting. I had this vehicle at the dealership for 2 recalls in the last year and both times the mechanic noted on my slip that "the rear brakes are adjusted too tight" . I'm surprised because all he had to do was turn my tires to see that weren't dragging at all. I'm guessing rookies.....In the old days.... :)..... I saw a mechanic tighten the rear brake shoes till he could only spin the tire a half turn. Then he was happy. That sounds too tight to me but he said once you hit the brakes a few times, they aren't touching any more. That's still too tight for me.... :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
An olde thread I know but for me, very instructive as I am now experiencing excessive travel on the emergency brake lever on my 2010 Rav with 103,000 Kms on the clock

With regards to using the emergency brake ...or not when parking automatic transmission vehicles, I was advised by a transmission tech many years ago that when parking on an incline, be it slight or otherwise, the emergency brake should always be applied. That is to say, the weight of the vehicle when parked should not be borne by the tranny as over time this can lead to problems. On inclines he always advised that vehicle should be held on the foot brake, transmission placed in 'N', and handbrake (emergency) brake applied, then 'P' selected. Weight of the vehicle is then being held by the rear brakes and not the tranny. Should the brake slip/fail, fall back is the tranny. Have discussed this with a few techies since then and concensus has been that the above is good advice. From a logical point of view it makes sense to me, and replacement of brake components being a lot cheaper and easier than transmission replacement. This practice is sencond nature to me now. So far no tranny problems on any of my vehicles. I am sure there are those who will disagree, which is fine, but it works for me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just a question about post 1. If you remove the coin/mirror adjustment panel, isn't that enought to adjust the cable tension? Why was the rest of the console removed?

·
Registered
731 Posts
In my 35+ years of professional wrenching, I have never adjusted a park brake (they are NOT emergency brakes!) to compensate for a loose park brake. This adjustment is set at the factory. That is why it was so difficult to get to. Things that need adjustment are usually easy to access. I'd leave well enough alone, since the end result is a tight park brake. The next time you feel like it needs adjusting, put the park brake adjustment back where it was and adjust the star wheels.

On a side note, are you drifting a lot, or driving with the park brake on? Those shoes are only meant to keep the vehicle from moving from a stop, so if they are worn down, then something is keeping the shoes applied. Be sure to adjust the shoes so there is NO drag. Any drag will be amplified as the shoes and drum heat up. The drum will decrease in ID and the shoes will expand, increasing the OD. These two combined will overheat grease seals, and cause the brake mechanism to overheat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the post and as others have said maybe wrong way to ajust
brakes but at least we have a detailed look at removing centre console
good effort

41 - 60 of 73 Posts
About this Discussion
72 Replies
41 Participants
Dr. Dyno
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing