Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a Rav4 LTD AWD, two packages to choose from. One has the Advanced Technology Package: Bird's Eye View Camera with Perimeter Scan, Front and Rear Parking Sonar. The other without this package. The other Toyota Safety Sense is standard. I have a 2013 Rav4 LTD AWD now.

Do I really need this advanced package?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts
Do you NEED the Tech Package? Probably not. But you might find that once you have it, you couldn't imagine buying a car without it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you NEED the Tech Package? Probably not. But you might find that once you have it, you couldn't imagine buying a car without it.
True, but what you don't have, you don't miss. I have the BSM on my '13 now and love that. I just don't know if the Birds Eye thing is necessary, too much technology just confuses me...LOL! :laugh

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,087 Posts
I find the parking sensors to be the most valuable. You always know if you're 3 ft, 2 ft or 1 ft from whatever is close. It does miss things that are less than bumper height but is great for parking tasks.

The JBL system is included. It gets mixed reviews but compared to the standard sound system I think its worth something.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The JBL system is included. It gets mixed reviews but compared to the standard sound system I think its worth something.
Mixed reviews? I don't recall any positive reviews vs. stock on this site but maybe I missed something. It is clear that the standard system is considerably easier to upgrade in the after market and I am wishing I hadn't paid the JBL price. Its clearly the least value in a premium factory system that I have experienced in over 15 new cars through the years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love the Birds Eye View Camera. Use it all the time. Very handy for tight spots, making sure you are within the lines in a parking spot etc. The JBL system is ok. Perhaps lacking in Bass a bit I would say, but sounds ok to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always that though the tech packages were a waste but recently got a '17 Limited Hybrid with them. I have only had the car 2 weeks and I don't think I could ever go back to not having these features.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the Birds Eye View Camera. Use it all the time. Very handy for tight spots, making sure you are within the lines in a parking spot etc. The JBL system is ok. Perhaps lacking in Bass a bit I would say, but sounds ok to me.
I always that though the tech packages were a waste but recently got a '17 Limited Hybrid with them. I have only had the car 2 weeks and I don't think I could ever go back to not having these features.
I was watching a Youtube video on the Birds Eye View Camera, I don't know, it just looked kind of complicated to use. Maybe it isn't though...seemed like you had to push a lot of buttons to use. So with that in mind, I'm not sure I would use it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hmmm, really, Actually, if you set it up right,you never have to touch a button. I have mine set so that it just comes on automatically when you are doing less than just a couple of miles per hour, which is exactly when you want it for parking or tight passages. As soon as you go over a few mph the screen returns to whatever you were doing previously. While its on, music and/or nav directions continue on audio.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm, really, Actually, if you set it up right,you never have to touch a button. I have mine set so that it just comes on automatically when you are doing less than just a couple of miles per hour, which is exactly when you want it for parking or tight passages. As soon as you go over a few mph the screen returns to whatever you were doing previously. While its on, music and/or nav directions continue on audio.
Oh, okay didn't know that...thanks! The video I watched showed this woman pushing all these buttons, I thought if have to do all that to park, forget it!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Advanced Tech Package means - No CD and hard to replace existing Entune radio because of JBL Amplifier.
I have ATP and kinda feel sorry I did no go without it. Now I stuck with Entune JBL. It sucks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think you'll find the ATP very useful. I have it and when I buy future cars, they'll have to have the same features. The top down camera view is an awesome feature. It makes parking in tight spots so much easier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Birdeye camera is useful but then rear door speakers and trunk woofer will be useless. Almost no sound in the back.
Wait....what does the ATP have to do with speakers and sound? I am making a purchasing decision soon, please advise.
I just think I really could use that birds eye camera, and there's no aftermarket option for that, right?
Also, why is it harder to upgrade sound system with the ATP? I was thinking of swapping out with a Kenwood that has Apple CarPlay aftermarket....that's pretty important to me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought a Limited RAV4 hybrid and wanted the tech package. One could argue either way depending on personal preferences.

Personally, I enjoy the capability and use it frequently.

Good luck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wait....what does the ATP have to do with speakers and sound? I am making a purchasing decision soon, please advise.
I just think I really could use that birds eye camera, and there's no aftermarket option for that, right?
Also, why is it harder to upgrade sound system with the ATP? I was thinking of swapping out with a Kenwood that has Apple CarPlay aftermarket....that's pretty important to me.
What he's referring to is the fact that the ATP "upgrades" the stereo to a system that most find quite flawed with an overwhelming front speaker bias. You may well resolve that by swapping out the head unit with an aftermarket unit, particularly if you are looking for Carplay, however, I would wonder if you switch the head unit if there would still be any birds eye camera functionality as I don't know where the logic and function for merging all those camera angles takes place. I would think in the head unit but I really don't know. I would certainly want to research that before doing it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts