Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,,
I'm coming from a 2015 Toyota 4Runner limited to a 2019 Rav4 Adventure model.

I was wondering, has anyone driven these on winding mountain highways?
mobdro.bio/ luckypatcher.tips/ kodi.bio/
I'm asking because for my job I have to go through West Virginia a lot on I-79.

In my 4Runner, those drives can become a bit fatigue-inducing because the 4Runner wasn't really meant for that kind of driving. I mean it did fine, but you could really feel the body lean around the curves.

I'm hoping the Rav4 is a bit better on the highway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Much better in a Rav4. Sport mode is great for steep and winding paved mountain roads. You can dial in the settings for the dirt/forest service roads. You won't have near the body role that comes with a 4Runner.

Maybe look in to renting one for a couple days to make sure it suits your needs.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The stock tires that my Adventure came with wasn't all that great, but after I put on a set of 17 "Cooper A/T's tires and AR893 wheels it handles much better. Rav4 cleaned up.jpg

·
Registered
376 Posts
My stock Toyos worked pretty good on the mountain passes and the RAV had no issues at all for driving. Its no sports car but it’s adequate.

Mine seems to like the mountains and usually get excellent fuel economy. This was from a almost 2.5 hour leg of a trip through them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It handles great in the mountains. The stock tires are absolute garbage in the snow. I am just waiting to swap them out for KO2s and new wheels. I love this car!!

image004.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Tacoma that has a similar "truck frame" driving dynamic to the 4Runner. The RAV4 is very car like, VERY car like. I would put it somewhere between my old Corolla and my mom's Avalon. While my RAV4 will never be a sportscar, I think the long distance highway comfort will be better than my Tacoma.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was wondering, has anyone driven these on winding mountain highways?
I bought the Adventure because of the AWD. With Sports mode and AWD the Rav4 Adventure is a lot of fun to drive. The engine doesn't have a lot of torque (184 lb.-ft. @ 5000 rpm). But the eight speed transmission helps make up for that. The engine needs to rev higher for maximum horsepower (203 hp @ 6600 rpm). In that regards its a lot like the four cylinder engine in my Porsche 914.

For a SUV the Rav4 is pretty light. So if you keep the RPMs up and your speed constant you can have a lot of fun with the Rav4 Adventurer's AWD going in and out of twisting road. The inner wheel braking system and the AWD makes the Adventure feel relatively sure footed. Even around town when the roads were wet I tried to break road traction in normal or sport mode and it wouldn't do it. The AWD of the Adventure makes it a completely different vehicle then the two wheel drive ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Listening to the head product development guy for the TRD off road project, which is basically just a suspension and appearance package over the Adventure. Their goal was to make it handle well on fast, fairly smooth, gravel. His comparison was think rally car rather than rock crawler. I'm still getting use to mine, but it seems pretty sure footed. Not wishing for any more snow this spring, but I will throw on a dedicated set of snow tires next winter and am curious how well it will go in the snow, my guess is it might be one of the most capable snow cars you can buy as long as you are talking packed snow, or nothing over 8"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts