Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Adventure
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I pushed the Downhill assist button from a standstill, car in Drive, with my foot on the brake pedal. The front of the vehicle made a momentary loud, groaning noise. After reading the owner's manual on, pg. 360+361, I realized that I wasn't supposed to engage the system with the brake pedal depressed. My question is this: Has anyone else experienced the loud groaning noise and if so, have I done damage to my car? I used the Downhill assist successfully today without any issues while the car was in motion.

Bonus question: What happens if you press the Downhill assist button while you're driving along over 15mph (Ex: If you lent someone your car for the day)? Will it still try to engage or is the button disabled above 15mph?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road
9 Posts
I doubt you did any damage by holding the brake while pressing the button, so I wouldn’t worry about that.

As for being over 15mph and turning it on, it won’t do anything. The icon in the dash will just flash indicating that it’s not active, until you go below 15mph and it’ll go solid as the system kicks on. Once you go over 15, it’ll automatically turn back off.

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Adventure
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! Good to hear that we probably didn't do any damage. Seems like the system is built a little tougher than I had imagined in my mind. New RAV4 owner, still getting used to Toyota durability.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
So if you're at the top of a steep grade and you want to use the downhill assist, you must remove your foot from the brake and risk going down the steep grade? Isn't the assist just using the brakes and the groaning sound was the brakes being slipped to control the speed?

I just read the owners manual regarding the DAC system and I could not find where you must remove your foot before it's operation. It did say "A sound may also occur during the operation. This does not indicated a malfunction."

By the way, my Limited operates the same as the DAC in my 2009 BMW X3. The brake grunging sound was the same too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts