Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,685 Posts
The Limited has the same AWD DTV and driveline disconnect, but is also available in FWD, an AWD Limited has the same highway fuel economy as an Adventure (and XLE Premium which has the same diameter 19" wheels), but the XLE Premium doesn't have DTV which has better city MPG, I suspect due to not having the DTV which brakes the inside rear wheel when cornering, the driveline disconnect helps to make up for that on highway, if the XLE premium and below had the driveline disconnect, their highway MPG would increase as well. As it is I get 36-37mpg highway with mine which is almost identical to the highway fuel economy I got in my '16 Rav4 Limited HV.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a 2019 Limited AWD, now just a few days past one year of ownership. EPA ratings are 25 city / 33 highway / 28 combined. I averaged a bit over 29 MPG over most of the past year, though the winter gasoline (and perhaps a bit heavier right foot) has brought it down to just a hair below 29. And I recently passed 20,000 miles on the vehicle.

That said, if you simply dial up the real-time MPG display on the infotainment screen, you can get a very good gist of what your mileage will be, given your freeway speed. Our freeway speed limit is 65 MPH in most areas, and if I keep it at 65, I can "peg" the display at 40 MPG, unless I'm heading into a pretty strong headwind. But, if I up the speed to 70 MPH, the MPG display will spend most of its time right around 35 MPG. And, if I up the speed to 75 MPH, the MPG display will usually hover around 30 MPG. I calculate my mileage records with a spreadsheet, and the car's average MPG display isn't too far off -- usually around half an MPG high. It's all far, far better than my previous 2015 Corolla S, which was usually at least 1.5 MPG high.

But very most definitely, if you're doing 70 MPH or above, there's no way you should be getting the EPA rated mileage. There's nothing wrong with your vehicle -- it's just the laws of physics, and it takes more power to go faster, to fight against wind resistance, and so on.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid XLE + Cold Weather, Ruby Flare Pearl
91 Posts
it's just the laws of physics, and it takes more power to go faster, to fight against wind resistance, and so on.
Specifically:
  • Doubling speed doubles the power required to overcome tire rolling resistance (force not proportional to speed, times double velocity)
  • Doubling speed requires 8 times the power to overcome air resistance (force proportional to speed squared, times double velocity)

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is a 2019 LE FWD with 20s. I get 33-36 mpg on my 18 miles commute to work going 65-70 mph. More traffic going home and usually 28-30 mpg. City i don’t pay as much attention too. But it’s around 25-28 if I’m not driving crazy lol. My long hauls from Long Beach to Sacramento area i get anywhere from 30-35. Usually always windy so that drops it down to lower 30s when i can catch it with no wind it’s around the 35 mark and I’ve actually gotten as much as 38 twice but that was when i had the stock Steelies on it. I’m sure the 20s don’t help all that much but i can’t complain as it’s been a small dropoff and i love the looks

21 - 24 of 24 Posts